1.4 TC or 200/600mm lens

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
Thanks for your points on this and though they are good they can't really help me. I struggle just to get to my knee's so 99% of my shots are from standing up as I can't get low. And if you have seen a Giraffe getting up from drinking water well I am far worse looking at trying to get up, so I just don't do that no more. But on the tripod for the able bodied people out there it is a to idea. So don't think I don't appreciate what you have posted here cause the point is I do.
I am a man and not a petite man but I am "of a certain age" so I can relate to the problems of getting the camera low for certain shots. The mental picture of me trying to get off the ground, in public, with camera gear is nowhere I want to go. It's a sad state of affairs but it is what it is. I shot some shots of a specialty automobile a couple of weeks ago and bent over for many of the shots. I paid dearly for those shots. Getting old is not for sissies!

Clix Pix

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Northern Virginia Suburbs of Washington, DC
"Growing old is not for sissies!" Soooo true!!!! Yesterday, taking advantage of wonderful weather I went out to a local botanical gardens and took my bag with the A1 and three lenses (90mm macro, 50mm f/1.2 and 12-24mm f/2.8). After I'd loaded the bag I hoisted it on my shoulder and thought, "if I try to walk around there with this I'll last all of ten minutes!" and hurriedly retrieved a wheeled cart to use. That worked well, but even so about an hour so in I began getting signals from my back (history of herniated disk some years ago and probably now good old degeneration due to age) that it was not happy. Too much bending over to aim a lens at the wonderful flowers... No way I'm going to get down on the ground to become up close and personal with my subjects -- the getting-down wouldn't be bad but the getting back up again sure would be!!

I think I've been a little too sedentary these past few months as it was easier to just stay at home in front of the computer on cold winter days or hot summer days than to get out and at least take a walk if nothing else. History of surgery many years ago for a herniated disk (L5/S1) plus over the past year or so I have noticed signs of problems that suggest some disk deterioration due to age. Getting old sure isn't fun! When I want to do things and my body doesn't want to cooperate or balks and starts complaining, that is just so frustrating.

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
"Growing old is not for sissies!" Soooo true!!!! Yesterday, taking advantage of wonderful weather I went out to a local botanical gardens and took my bag with the A1 and three lenses (90mm macro, 50mm f/1.2 and 12-24mm f/2.8). After I'd loaded the bag I hoisted it on my shoulder and thought, "if I try to walk around there with this I'll last all of ten minutes!" and hurriedly retrieved a wheeled cart to use. That worked well, but even so about an hour so in I began getting signals from my back (history of herniated disk some years ago and probably now good old degeneration due to age) that it was not happy. Too much bending over to aim a lens at the wonderful flowers... No way I'm going to get down on the ground to become up close and personal with my subjects -- the getting-down wouldn't be bad but the getting back up again sure would be!!

I think I've been a little too sedentary these past few months as it was easier to just stay at home in front of the computer on cold winter days or hot summer days than to get out and at least take a walk if nothing else. History of surgery many years ago for a herniated disk (L5/S1) plus over the past year or so I have noticed signs of problems that suggest some disk deterioration due to age. Getting old sure isn't fun! When I want to do things and my body doesn't want to cooperate or balks and starts complaining, that is just so frustrating.
Growing old + sedentary. A bad combination, one which I suffer from. This whole Covid-19 thing blew a whole in all of out lives. It's a terrible thing. Also, two weeks ago I had a Radio Frequency Ablation on my back and the results so far are less than expected. I came to a decision last night that I'm going to prepare a "Personal Lesson Plan" with some shooting assignments. I don't think there are a lot of interesting things near me as subjects but I decided I'm not selling them to Magazines, I just need the practice and experience so the subject matter itself is not so important. You never know, I might trip across a few decent subjects along the way.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Clix Pix

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Northern Virginia Suburbs of Washington, DC
I am fortunate in that I live in a place where there is lots to see and shoot, even right from my condo unit deck. That has its benefits, but it also adds to the laziness factor. Why should I go walking around the lake when I can run out to my deck, camera in hand, and shoot a cormorant, some geese, occasionally Alfred the Great Blue Heron? I am definitely intending to walk around the lake more now that the weather will be cooler and less humid and I also am planning to get in the car more often and go to one of the botanical gardens around here or a park, somewhere reasonably scenic that isn't what I see every day at home. My body will benefit and I will enjoy the experience. Might even get a few nice photos here-and-there as well...

Reactions: Aussie

Aussie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2020
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
Clix Pix I understand what you mean and what I would call in is operating smart.
I know of a lot of people not personally but going by their posts where they say they are doing the same thing.
I wish I could but I can't so I just say you are doing the right thing as I see it.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.