Sony 1.4x TC instead of cropping?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Steve Ryan

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Hi all, I've been using 200-600 lens for about 12 months, first on A6500 and now on A9, I like to crop a bit mostly birds and feel my photos would benefit by using a 1.4TC instead of using aspc mode as I would still have 24mp to play with plus full frame for BIF . I realise I would be at F9. Has anybody had real life experience with this approach.?

Attachments

• 1596101981345.jpg
    1596101981345.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 46
I thought it lost too much IQ and stopped trying. I'd bought the lens for this purpose and so sold it.
Other folk are happy with it.
Have a look at the tests on Tim's website.

PS There's no advantage in using a FF sensor in crop mode except for file size.

I'm not disappointed with my 1.4x TC on my 100-400 GM but have to admit to struggling with the 1 stop loss of light. I don't really notice any loss of IQ.

I've cropped images shot in crop mode on the RIV (26mp) and 200 600 with 1.4, so basically cropped from 1260mm. In good light you wouldn't now. Here's an example.
DSC05021.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 1000

Given what downsizing and forum s/w does to images, to get the best sense of IQ you need the original image.

Thanks guys,l feel that despite the disadvantages with light I should get a better crop from 24mp compared to 12mp using aspc + a slightly larger frame for bif, would you agree?

Thanks guys,l feel that despite the disadvantages with light I should get a better crop from 24mp compared to 12mp using aspc + a slightly larger frame for bif, would you agree?

Definitely. The more pixels you have to play with the better the retention of detail, provided it's sharp of course.

Tony Northrup did a bit with the 200-600mm where he showed that in a studio set-up at least you got better IQ (contrast) by cropping than with the 1.4 TC. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz3zbpKXF4M&t=753s)
At first I mulled the same question with my 100-400mm and 1.4TC on my a7Riv and nearly sold my 1.4TC, but some experiments prompted by a comment from someone on Facebook suggested that whilst that may be true for a still studio scene, where you can keep ISO and hence noise low, in real-world situations where ISO may need to go higher (1600 or above), the noise looks to me to be more prominent on the equivalent cropped image than on the image with the 1.4TC. So for bird photography or other cases where the subject is moving and need a fast shutter speed (and hence, fairly high ISO) I prefer the 1.4TC without cropping than to go native and then crop. Basically, at ISOs below 1600 I find cropping works best, but above that the 1.4TC worked best.
Now I have just purchased a 200-600mm and I'm expecting the same sort of results. We'll see.

Thanks Amor, I am very interested with how you go, I know I won't be carrying 2 cameras when out birding ! I usually use iso auto 3200 Max.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back