Sony A7R IV A 7R IV - Aspect ratio in RAW - request for a review.

Lavardin

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Lavardin
Country
Poland
Hello to all Sony Alpha users. I have a question for Sony A7RIV owners to check for me whether to shoot in RAW and set the aspect ratio to 4: 3, Is RAW cropped after importing to a computer? I am asking because I am going to buy this body and I have no way to check it. I know that in Nikons RAW they are cut, while in CANON, despite the setting of aspect ratio, we get the whole RAW in a 2: 3 aspect ratio, which in my opinion makes no sense. Thanks for checking it out for me.

I have never set the aspect ratio in the camera. I often don’t know what aspect ratio I will want until I look at the image, and even if I know that I want, for example, a square, I don’t know if I want it centrally, or offset a bit to one side or the other. So I am happy getting the whole frame and making decisions during post-processing.

You can set a default crop in the crop tool in the processing software I use, including 5:4, so it’s not a big deal to crop it the way you want.

I think it makes sense not to discard potentially wanted image data, but your opinion may be different.

I believe in 1:1 and 4:3 aspect ratios the full Raw image is still recorded......
essentially the same as Canon.

I do not use internal cropping but gather the above from a number of I.Net
forums I have seen in the past........hope this answers your query.

I agree the above does not make a lot of sense but it seems these newer 1:1 and 4:3 aspect ratios
were not in the earlier Sony cameras and in the AR7iv as far as I can tell are for EVF/Monitor
visualisation purposes only....

4:3 is indeed a full frame, 35mm as was, image, and is not cropped on import.

Back