A camera being a Photo only CAMERA

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Aussie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2020
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
I know this is weird but you let me in.
My thoughts are when you get a camera today, the main topic of it as I see is the film part of it.
I am not a film person and I have never used that part.
Will I ever use that part of my camera's? Answer is no as far as I can see.

So why don't they bring out a Sony A7 NVC, this would mean a Sony A7 but has No Video Capabilities at all.
If they made it for the people like me who turn all film or video parts off.

I had a Sony A390 that came out just like this and I loved that camera and if I hadn't used up my number count I would still be using it.
As this is how much I hate yes hate the film side of cameras.
I feel if you want to film go out and buy a video camera, don't add it to my camera's list.
But this I know is a money call. So this is here to stay .

I know I would a camera with that taken out and it is as good at the A7 series or A9 camera.

Kevriano

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Crawley
I agree, I've never used the video capabilities on any DSLR I've owned. I know that they are exceptional at it, but I just can't be bothered with editing after, it's enough to do photos! I have, in the past, owned video cameras, and made DVD's, but not for years now, and I can't see me going back.
I guess they are covering all bases and giving them a few more sales here and there. A lot of TV shows are filmed on DSLR's

Reactions: Aussie

AlphaWorld

Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
I know this is weird but you let me in.
My thoughts are when you get a camera today, the main topic of it as I see is the film part of it.
I am not a film person and I have never used that part.
Will I ever use that part of my camera's? Answer is no as far as I can see.

So why don't they bring out a Sony A7 NVC, this would mean a Sony A7 but has No Video Capabilities at all.
If they made it for the people like me who turn all film or video parts off.

I had a Sony A390 that came out just like this and I loved that camera and if I hadn't used up my number count I would still be using it.
As this is how much I hate yes hate the film side of cameras.
I feel if you want to film go out and buy a video camera, don't add it to my camera's list.
But this I know is a money call. So this is here to stay .

I know I would a camera with that taken out and it is as good at the A7 series or A9 camera.

You made it confusing when you talked about film. If you'd said video it would have been easier. After all, film cameras never shot video... o_O

I have owned a lot of digital capable of shooting video (and some without video capabilities, like the original 5D), but I have rarely used the video features. I prefer to shoot stills.

Reactions: FowlersFreeTime

Aussie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2020
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
Sorry about that but its just how I wrote it as with no intention to confuse anyone.
I just works what word comes to me at that time and I use that. And that basically it.
But a photo only camera would be so good to have. I know one camera I had for some reason
the video button seemed to get all the time and I hated that one.
But my 1st dslr being the 390 I think it was photo only and I loved it.

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I feel like this has been part of Sony's product offering since way back when (my old Cybershot would take video clips in glorious 480p at god-knows-what frame ratešŸ¤£), and I've always been in the camp of "if it has the capability, I'll give it a try". Regardless I get what you're saying, but you answered yourself: "But this I know is a money call. So this is here to stay."
If they take features away from a model, there will be some reviewer that will say they crippled the platform, which would translate to some buyers shying away for whatever reason. So they cram features in like a Swiss Army Knife and hope that the rich feature set will attract buyers across any segment.

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I know one camera I had for some reason the video button seemed to get [pressed?] all the time and I hated that one.
Did you mean the a6000 or any in that lineup? I also hate the location of the video record button as it is on the corner of the already-too-small grip where a wayward thumb can and will turn on video at an inappropriate time. I have since turned that button off in the settings so now it only activates when I switch the dial to movie mode.

Aussie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2020
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
I feel like this has been part of Sony's product offering since way back when (my old Cybershot would take video clips in glorious 480p at god-knows-what frame ratešŸ¤£), and I've always been in the camp of "if it has the capability, I'll give it a try". Regardless I get what you're saying, but you answered yourself: "But this I know is a money call. So this is here to stay."
If they take features away from a model, there will be some reviewer that will say they crippled the platform, which would translate to some buyers shying away for whatever reason. So they cram features in like a Swiss Army Knife and hope that the rich feature set will attract buyers across any segment.
I know it is here to stay but it would be good if they gave it a try to make one like they did with all the modern stuff of lets say the A9 and no video.
All they have to do is make it offer it to me to road test I would be fair and then say I lost it so I could have it forever and then we all would have the option of a straight up Photo camera.
I am not sure what camera I had at the time but if I had to guess I think it might have been the Sony A77 or the A77ii camera.
It seemed everytime I done something without looking the video button was hit. I am not sure if we can turn it off completely as
I know for a fact I will not use it Chris Fowler.

• Haha
Reactions: FowlersFreeTime

AlphaWorld

Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
Sorry about that but its just how I wrote it as with no intention to confuse anyone.
I just works what word comes to me at that time and I use that. And that basically it.
But a photo only camera would be so good to have. I know one camera I had for some reason
the video button seemed to get all the time and I hated that one.
But my 1st dslr being the 390 I think it was photo only and I loved it.

Well, the A1 (at least) lets you redefine the video button - you could make it do something more useful, like toggling daylight savings time on / off (that's more useful than shooting video, isn't it?).

I tried to work out how many photo-only DSLRs I had before video crept in. I think it was 4.

One link I stumbled across while looking that up was this idiot's commentary on the "Canon 1D Mark III": https://www.inputmag.com/tech/canon-eos-1d-mark-iii-dslr

Took me a while to work out that the idiot was talking about the 1DX Mark III. I owned a 1D Mark III back in 2007, and it definitely did not shoot 20Mpixel and 4k video! It was a 10Mpixel stills-only camera (gosh, Canon's 1 series advanced SO MUCH in a mere 13 years!). Its successor, the 1D Mark IV did shoot video.

Here's some info on the real 1D Mark III: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_III

spudhead

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
gary smith
Country
United Kingdom
Well I have 3 sony cameras at the mo and have never and will never use the video functions it just does not interest me.

Aussie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2020
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
Well I have 3 sony cameras at the mo and have never and will never use the video functions it just does not interest me.
Are you the one who done the how to set up your Sony A7iii youtube clip.
If it is you thank you so much. I set mine up to your instructions fully but missed the Back focus as I want to see what I get the old way 1st off.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

Ā© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.