bug.jpg
  • ILCA-77M2
  • 200mm F2.8
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 125

Surprisingly bright little buggers

I'm thinking Grasshopper based on the smallish wings. Definitely not a cricket.

I'm thinking Grasshopper based on the smallish wings. Definitely not a cricket.
ok I seem to remember the guy stood next to me saying that is a cricket mate! having said that he seemed to know everything so it could well be a flying pig, I feel sure someone on here will know for sure

Thanks a lot so glad I did not touch them , I thought someone would know what they were, are you still taking pictures of bugs?
Not at the moment..
Here in Ontario we are just coming out of winter so none around at the moment but as soon as they start to appear I will be hunting them down..
The ones I took earlier are from a collection I had …

Not at the moment..
Here in Ontario we are just coming out of winter so none around at the moment but as soon as they start to appear I will be hunting them down..
The ones I took earlier are from a collection I had …
I have some spider close ups somewhere I think with the a77ii minolta 100 2.8 rs and minolta ring flash, the spiders really are ugly

Thanks a lot so glad I did not touch them , I thought someone would know what they were, are you still taking pictures of bugs?
LOL. We used to play with grasshoppers as kids. The juice they secrete looks like someone spit tobacco.

says grasshoppers become locusts, changing from green to yellow and black, when food is short.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust says the same, in a lot more detail.

These images look yellow and black to me…

says grasshoppers become locusts, changing from green to yellow and black, when food is short.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust says the same, in a lot more detail.

These images look yellow and black to me…
They don't actually 'become' locusts. Locusts are part of the grasshopper family. All locusts are grasshoppers, but not all grasshoppers are locusts.

Nice shots.

They don't actually 'become' locusts. Locusts are part of the grasshopper family. All locusts are grasshoppers, but not all grasshoppers are locusts.
Well, they change to "locust mode", if you prefer, changing colour and behaviour. The Wikipedia article talks about it in more detail.

Well, they change to "locust mode", if you prefer, changing colour and behaviour. The Wikipedia article talks about it in more detail.
Right, but my point is there's only one species of grasshopper that does this, the others are just regular old grasshoppers.

Back