Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Some interesting photos and stats.

At the Sony counter here in Beijing, not only can you get your cameras cleaned, and some repairs on sight but a peek behind the service counter reveals a stunning array of cameras and lenses ready to be loaned out at no cost. Sony has prepared to loan over 250 cameras and 600 lenses to photographers reporting on the Olympic games.

The Olympics are a very tightly regulated event when it comes to photography. It's typically limited to Canon, Sony, and Nikon. Last Olympics were the first time that Sony came in ahead of Nikon. I have heard that as a sponsor Panasonic will be proving the new GH6 there for video.

I always find this fascinating.

Fascinating article! I'd seen some photos during the summer Olympics but this article goes into more detail and has additional photos. I'm drooling over that one which shows the collection that the author has with him in Beijing. Wow....!!!!!!!

I'm drooling over that one which shows the collection that the author has with him in Beijing. Wow....!!!!!!!
Yeah, I kinda' hate that guy! :ROFLMAO:

Did you click on the photo to get an enlarged view and a list?

Last edited:
Sure did! Glad, too, as it explained why he needed two of some lenses, and also I was able to then figure out what the metal attachments were on some of them. I am guessing that they are for the remote setups.

Some interesting photos and stats.

The Olympics are a very tightly regulated event when it comes to photography. It's typically limited to Canon, Sony, and Nikon. Last Olympics were the first time that Sony came in ahead of Nikon. I have heard that as a sponsor Panasonic will be proving the new GH6 there for video.

I always find this fascinating.
Interesting just imagine how much money his standing on those shelves I wonder if sony just have this gear floating around for loan purposes or do you think they get sold off to distributers after refurb

Interesting just imagine how much money his standing on those shelves I wonder if sony just have this gear floating around for loan purposes or do you think they get sold off to distributers after refurb
Just a guess, but I'm thinking these are all brand new, checked and double checked to make sure they're perfect. I would bet that once the games are over they check any that went out on loan again and then offer them to a select few at a discounted price. I've looked in the past for "Olympic discounted" used glass, but have never seen any. When you think about it, a hundred or so of this or that won't go very far.

Back