Sony A1 A1 Shutter Failure?

GayleN

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Gayle Neufeld
I just got back from my first real workout of my A1 spending 5 days bear viewing. I still have a lot to learn about the camera, but one problem I had has me particularly concerned. On day 5, my shutter stopped working. I turned the camera off and on a few times, and got it to work. But then it stopped again. I had to do this several times for about 20 minutes, after which it started working normally. A few things - it's not set to only engage when the focus is locked, it wasn't buffering. Has anybody else encountered this at all?

I just got back from my first real workout of my A1 spending 5 days bear viewing. I still have a lot to learn about the camera, but one problem I had has me particularly concerned. On day 5, my shutter stopped working. I turned the camera off and on a few times, and got it to work. But then it stopped again. I had to do this several times for about 20 minutes, after which it started working normally. A few things - it's not set to only engage when the focus is locked, it wasn't buffering. Has anybody else encountered this at all?
Welcome to the Forum Gayle. Where did you go Bear viewing? Sorry about your camera.

Were you using mechanical or electronic shutter? I use my A1 solely with electronic shutter, and I haven’t heard of that failing. Perhaps you could get around your problem by switching over to electronic shutter?

Was there a reason, like abnormally low temperatures (were you photographing polar bears?) ?

I hope you can resolve the problem permanently.

I do get random problems, not any one thing like shutter failure, but at times I need to take out the battery and refit to get it to normalize.

Were you using mechanical or electronic shutter? I use my A1 solely with electronic shutter, and I haven’t heard of that failing. Perhaps you could get around your problem by switching over to electronic shutter?

Was there a reason, like abnormally low temperatures (were you photographing polar bears?) ?

I hope you can resolve the problem permanently.
I have it set to the electronic shutter, and it was 60 degrees. Thanks for you suggestions though!

Ammm just a thought. Reattach the lens. And check your "release without the lens" settings.
It could happen if you have a "dirty/greasy" contacts.
Bear viewing would be a 400mm or more lens, so they are usually weather sealed.

Ammm just a thought. Reattach the lens. And check your "release without the lens" settings.
It could happen if you have a "dirty/greasy" contacts.
Bear viewing would be a 400mm or more lens, so they are usually weather sealed.
Thank you - the release without the lens was set to enable. That's the setting I was thinking of but couldn't remember what it was called. I'll give the contacts a quick clean, but it is a brand new camera and lens, and I haven't changed out the lens since I got it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Did you get any errors? One more question; on the hot shoe, do you have that plastic on?
Why I am asking is, when it’s wet, that can cause a short circuit and camera will simply stop working. It happened to me during the football (I’m from Europe, we call it football) game. Well in my case it give me some error which I cannot remeber, and then turned off. But it’s a valid one to check.

Did you get any errors? One more question; on the hot shoe, do you have that plastic on?
Why I am asking is, when it’s wet, that can cause a short circuit and camera will simply stop working. It happened to me during the football (I’m from Europe, we call it football) game. Well in my case it give me some error which I cannot remeber, and then turned off. But it’s a valid one to check.
I didn't see an error message, but I had to check the hotshoe. Yes, I have the cover on it. But it was a great suggestion!

Back