Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have been throwing up this idea for a little while as I think I would be called a bird photographer over anything else.
So with birds I thin megapixels will help my image's more than anythings that I can think of.
So I would jump for 24 to 41 and that I think is a lot in anyone's books.

So should I seriously thin of going for the R model over the standard one.
Yer I know the Sony A7riii is out but weather I would at the time find one in my price range.
So playing it safe I have said the one I have.

There is a factor to which I like a lot which happens to be a no noise shutter.
And with birds this can be important to other people I am with and even to myself.
As I have seen birds take to flight on the shutter sound.
So could I please get a few opinions of you clever buggers out there lease.

More MP are very useful when the photo would be improved by cropping.

Silent Shutter can be very handy for birds at close range but with any camera that does not have a fast readout speed there is a risk of distortion when the bird moves quickly (flapping wings are a good example). Among the Sony alpha series the a9, a9II and a1 show minimum distortion. In the example photos below the first was made with the a7rIII and the second with the a1, silent shutter was used for both photos.
calann48.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM)
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 640

calann56.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 600mm F4 GM OSS (SEL600F40GM)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 1000

More MP are very useful when the photo would be improved by cropping.

Silent Shutter can be very handy for birds at close range but with any camera that does not have a fast readout speed there is a risk of distortion when the bird moves quickly (flapping wings are a good example). Among the Sony alpha series the a9, a9II and a1 show minimum distortion. In the example photos below the first was made with the a7rIII and the second with the a1, silent shutter was used for both photos.
I would like or love the A9 but the pressure of money is my big conflict.
I know that would be my preferred but is here in Australia at places well over 2 to 3 time the price.
The silent shutter which I have on the Sony RX10 M4 allows me to get more shots as well as other around me.
But there are exceptions to the rule here as some birds just don't care..
Thank you for your insight Doug.

The newer (and costlier) cameras remove some impediments in a variety of situations but the a7II and a7rII can be used quite effectively for bird photos; I used both of these cameras in succession before moving on to the a7rIII and now a1.

The newer (and costlier) cameras remove some impediments in a variety of situations but the a7II and a7rII can be used quite effectively for bird photos; I used both of these cameras in succession before moving on to the a7rIII and now a1.
I really like the A7ii as it is and use it for birding now. Though my Sigma 100/400mm lens has had to be sent away as I am quite clumsy and take a few falls.
And I think it has hit the hard surface of branches which threw it out a little. So I am waiting for the return of that.

Though I really am not a fan of the shutter sound I know at times you can get away with it but I feel I have moved birds on due to it, and it was while others were taking photo's of the bird. Making me feel bad due to it.
This is the full reason to why I would like to move up to the Sony A7rii.

But if I had the money I would be looking at the A7r 3 or 4, but would look more at the A9ii I think it goes up to now.
Reading what they have said and watching some youtube things a few have said the A9 is basically been made with the birder in mind.
Now that made my ears prick up and I took a lot of notice to what they were saying.

So saying this if money wasn't the issue here I more than likely would go out and get the Sony A9ii over the lot.
Thanks again for what you have said as its good to listen to those people who know what they are talking about.

I'm a relatively new Sony guy and I wanted to buy the A7ii and they went and raised the price of the A7ii. I was very upset. I looked a Canon that was a competitor to the A7ii but the reviews didn't hold up. Then I started comparing the A 7ii with the A7 iii. Wow, the A7iii offered so much more than the A 7ii and the money difference was hardly anything. It is still 24 MP but I'll tell you, it's a great camera. Ralph, you and I, we both want an A1 but my pocketbook is never going to be able to afford these great, but expensive Sony's.. The a7iii offers a lot, including the silent shutter, great battery life, terrific Dynamic Range and a host of other improvements. Take a close look. It's fun to shop, isn't it? A comparison

Last edited:
I'm a relatively new Sony guy and I wanted to buy the A7ii and they went and raised the price of the A7ii. I was very upset. I looked a Canon that was a competitor to the A7ii but the reviews didn't hold up. Then I started comparing the A 7ii with the A7 iii. Wow, the A7iii offered so much more than the A 7ii and the money difference was hardly anything. It is still 24 MP but I'll tell you, it's a great camera. Ralph, you and I, we both want an A1 but my pocketbook is never going to be able to afford these great, but expensive Sony's.. The a7iii offers a lot, including the silent shutter, great battery life, terrific Dynamic Range and a host of other improvements. Take a close look. It's fun to shop, isn't it? A comparison
I have been doing this exact thing a good part of today and I am sort of slow on the uptake of information.
So I leave pages open so I can go back for a while. I know if I have the choice now and if I was told you have the A7ii or the A7iii.
I would take the latter. But I like the idea of the dropping back to the A7rii due to I mainly do birding and for that I like the idea of the
extra megapixels even thought the sensors size between both is hardly any different.
If all things come to plan I will try to get the A7rii and then my wife can use the A7ii with the 2 small lens I have got.
And I will use the Sigma 100/400mm lens with the idea to get the 1.4 teleconverter a little later.

Thanks for your more than useful information Jeff.

I have been doing this exact thing a good part of today and I am sort of slow on the uptake of information.
So I leave pages open so I can go back for a while. I know if I have the choice now and if I was told you have the A7ii or the A7iii.
I would take the latter. But I like the idea of the dropping back to the A7rii due to I mainly do birding and for that I like the idea of the
extra megapixels even thought the sensors size between both is hardly any different.
If all things come to plan I will try to get the A7rii and then my wife can use the A7ii with the 2 small lens I have got.
And I will use the Sigma 100/400mm lens with the idea to get the 1.4 teleconverter a little later.

Thanks for your more than useful information Jeff.
Your welcome. I'm sure that the A7R2 will be great. FWIW, I too own the Sigma 100-400. Great lens. Are you aware of the fact that the 1.4 Teleconverter wont work with the Sigma 100-400. If I heard wrong, someone needs to tell me so I can get the Teleconverter right away!

Your welcome. I'm sure that the A7R2 will be great. FWIW, I too own the Sigma 100-400. Great lens. Are you aware of the fact that the 1.4 Teleconverter wont work with the Sigma 100-400. If I heard wrong, someone needs to tell me so I can get the Teleconverter right away!
I will be buying it from a photo shot so with hope they would tell me not to worry as it won't work then or tell me it will be okay.
So lets hope some truth comes from them on this if that is the case.

Hi guys I yust sold my 100-400 Sigma due to the TC problem Sigma has ongoing with Sony.. and went for the new Sigma 150-600mm sport for the extra reach. And still could have use for a TC... but then again,if you are serious with your pfotography do like me - buy a fotoblind - a solid tripod and a gimbal for wildlife. Haven't got the tripod and gimbal yet. But looking forward to try out this. Instead of going down to the beach and take foto's of the birds handheld of birds fully aware of you and keeps a safe distance....... Coming home and cropping all the shots and is left with a 3-4 mb shot of the bird.

Back