A7III and 200–600mm Lens Combo for Hummingbird Photography Troubleshooting

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Okie580

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Tina
I recently upgraded from a77ii and Tamron 150-600mm lens to a7III with Sony 200-600mm lens. It is now hummingbird season here and I am having trouble with wing blur. I have Youtube and tried different settings on the camera and lens trying to do away with the distortion of the wings. Never had this problem with previous camera and lens. I am definitely a newbie with the mirrorless full frame. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not for sure if adjustmenus need to be made to lens or camera. I have tried each mode on the lens. I am attaching photos with the settings info on pic. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3874.jpeg
    IMG_3874.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3873.jpeg
    IMG_3873.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3876.jpeg
    IMG_3876.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3875.jpeg
    IMG_3875.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 121
What they said^

If you want to eliminate rolling shutter, you need a very fast sensor readout like the A9 or A1. Best answer is to switch to mechanical.

Welcome aboard!

In my experience seems your shutter speed is on the low side and needs to be notth of 1/4000 if freezing the wings is your end goal....

If lighting /rolling shutter is an issue(dependant if you are using flourescent or led lighting) it would be normal to fine adjust your
Variable Shutter setting.......this is available on the a1 but in never having used the a7iii I can't confirm if this functionality is available
On this camera......there are many YouTube videos addressing this issue.

In my experience seems your shutter speed is on the low side and needs to be notth of 1/4000 if freezing the wings is your end goal....

If lighting /rolling shutter is an issue(dependant if you are using flourescent or led lighting) it would be normal to fine adjust your
Variable Shutter setting.......this is available on the a1 but in never having used the a7iii I can't confirm if this functionality is available
On this camera......there are many YouTube videos addressing this issue.

You’ve got some quick hummingbirds. 1/2500 works well enough for me

Attachments

• JJM01311.jpeg
    JJM01311.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 122
This looks like rolling shutter due to using electronic shutter instead of mechanical. Switch to mechanical. Electronic is for quiet settings, not everyday use, in my opinion.
This looks like rolling shutter due to using electronic shutter instead of mechanical. Switch to mechanical. Electronic is for quiet settings, not everyday use, in my opinion.
Thank you for answering and solving my problem! I did have the silent shutter on.

Attachments

• DSC09288.jpeg
    DSC09288.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 109
I just wish to say they’re almost amazing photos. We don’t have those birds here!

Apart from adopting greater speed and narrower aperture, the focus seems a tad off and I don’t know if that’s an issue related to that camera model, or a focus selection setting. I’d be trialing different focus tracking settings to see if you get better outcomes.

I don't know the A7III but it will be a challenge with the electronic shutter without an A9 or A1. I capture my hummingbirds with good lighting at 1/2500 and F6.3 with my A9II and electronic shutter.

Attachments

• Hummingbird Anna_s 10.jpg
    Hummingbird Anna_s 10.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 84
I recently upgraded from a77ii and Tamron 150-600mm lens to a7III with Sony 200-600mm lens. It is now hummingbird season here and I am having trouble with wing blur. I have Youtube and tried different settings on the camera and lens trying to do away with the distortion of the wings. Never had this problem with previous camera and lens. I am definitely a newbie with the mirrorless full frame. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not for sure if adjustmenus need to be made to lens or camera. I have tried each mode on the lens. I am attaching photos with the settings info on pic. Thank you!
Hi, I own an A7iii and I love it, but the rolling shutter can be a problem on the A7iii, I shoot aircraft quite a few times a year, and if I forget to use electric rather than mechanical shutter, I get this distortion on the propeller blades, which makes the image unusable. Ive just bought an a9 second hand with an extremely low shutter count for a really good price, I will use this for my aircraft and bird photography from now on and use the A7iii for photography landscape, flowers and my grand kids.

I assume with your past experience you have the shutter speed settings at an appropriate high speed....

The 200-600 is ok if shooting at f6.3 wide open and light is good.

If you are shooting at the long end in lower light and at a higher F No(f8+) focus speed will slow down and may introduce blur....

These would be my initial comments based on limited EXIF data...

It would be amazing to try and photograph them. Im with you on this bucket list.
I believe the nearest I have seen any was in Malaysia - but who knows maybe the Philippines do too..

Agree.......for most of us it's unfortunately a question of loading up your gear and travelling long distance to one of the hummingbird hotspots.......

I believe the nearest I have seen any was in Malaysia - but who knows maybe the Philippines do too..
I never knew that. I have an office in KL, so I’m now on a mission!!!!

That‘s interesting, my understanding is the hummers are a New World bird only. The are birds that have similarity in looks but not hummingbirds genetically.

I am wondering if it was a caged bird smuggled in.

Sorry to be a skeptic.
Not at all. It was 8 years ago and in another language, plus I wasn't in any position to question what people said!

So I did a little digging, and it is probably this a Hummingbird Hawk Moth.

I guess Gaz, you'll have to go to Cuba or the US.

Still, now I know what it is/was, apparently they can even be found nearby. So, I may have to go and find some now. Gotta take what you can get I suppose...

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back