A7iii prime lens

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Westydude

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Bob
This is a modified thread from an earlier post to one of the members: " I recently purchased an A7iii bundle with the Sony FE 24-105 F4 G OSS lens as an all-around. I mainly shoot landscape, street and architectural photography, but will be looking to do portraits as well with the new camera (this is my first mirrorless full-frame). I have about $2k left over in my budget and am now reviewing options for 1-2 prime lenses... at least one, fast 24mm or 35mm 1.4 for indoor, low light. I've heard +'s and -'s on non-native lenses that are typically sold at discounts to Sony's native lenses but they seem to be good values if the performance and reliabilty is there...(Zeiss, Sigma Art, Samyang, Tamron, etc.). Would appreciate any feedback - hobby/amateur enthusiast that will be publishing and printing framed shots of my work -a lot in black and white."

Also, appreciate any on-line/YouTube recommendations/tutorials for inititial camera set up.

thanks in advance...

Well, since you mentioned Portraiture, I'll tell you about the last lens that I purchased. It's a Sony FE 85mm, f/1.8 lens. I have to agree with many others, this is Sony's best value lens. It's small, light and very sharp with excellent Bokeh, and at $548.00 (now on sale) it's an outstanding value. Mark Galer feels that this lens is better choice than the G Master equivalent.

You did a smart thing on your bundle with the FE 24-105 G lens. I used this lens a great deal on my last vacation. You can just about do anything with it. Having said that, the lens that stays attached to my A7 III is the Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G lens. Always sharp and very versatile. I LOVE this lens.

So, two great lenses and I'm under your budget. How did I do, Bob?

Well, since you mentioned Portraiture, I'll tell you about the last lens that I purchased. It's a Sony FE 85mm, f/1.8 lens. I have to agree with many others, this is Sony's best value lens. It's small, light and very sharp with excellent Bokeh, and at $548.00 (now on sale) it's an outstanding value. Mark Galer feels that this lens is better choice than the G Master equivalent.

You did a smart thing on your bundle with the FE 24-105 G lens. I used this lens a great deal on my last vacation. You can just about do anything with it. Having said that, the lens that stays attached to my A7 III is the Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G lens. Always sharp and very versatile. I LOVE this lens.

So, two great lenses and I'm under your budget. How did I do, Bob?
Thanks, Jeff...appreciate your reply. It's been suggested that i consider a 1.4 vs a 1.8 for a second prime lens (something between a 24mm to 50mm) - one that can be used for portraiture as well as occasional landscape and that the 1.4 would provide more versatiliy for indoor low light. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff...appreciate your reply. It's been suggested that i consider a 1.4 vs a 1.8 for a second prime lens (something between a 24mm to 50mm) - one that can be used for portraiture as well as occasional landscape and that the 1.4 would provide more versatiliy for indoor low light. Any thoughts?
35GM f1.4 (the only prime I take when I want to travel light)

But if I was to choose to keep only 2 primes from my kit those would be the 50GM f1.2 and 135GM f1.8

Edit: a sample of 35 f1.4 GM
21-11-26 12h13m47s #0052 L_.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM (SEL35F14GM)
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 160

Last edited:
The difference from 1.4 to 1.8 is a half stop, hardly enough to worry about light. You'd look at this lens if you need razor thin DOF. The cool thing about the 35mm FL is the wide selection. From $400 for a Rokinon to $650 for the 1.8, $900 for the Sigma, or $1400 for the 1.4.

I have experience with Rokinon/Samyang for the 85 and 7,5 in M-4/3, both are stellar performers.

If I were looking I'd pour over reviews, but more importantly image samples. I'll likely end up with the Sony 1.7.

The difference from 1.4 to 1.8 is a half stop, hardly enough to worry about light. You'd look at this lens if you need razor thin DOF. The cool thing about the 35mm FL is the wide selection. From $400 for a Rokinon to $650 for the 1.8, $900 for the Sigma, or $1400 for the 1.4.

I have experience with Rokinon/Samyang for the 85 and 7,5 in M-4/3, both are stellar performers.

If I were looking I'd pour over reviews, but more importantly image samples. I'll likely end up with the Sony 1.7.
Thank you...I've received some recommendations for reviewing image samples.

Thank you...I've received some recommendations for reviewing image samples.
Bob, your decision would be much easier if you would go out in your backyard and dig up that bag of cash! :D

Last edited:
The difference from 1.4 to 1.8 is a half stop, hardly enough to worry about light. You'd look at this lens if you need razor thin DOF.
Agree, some times the f1.4 shallow DOF comes in handy in well lit situations.
21-11-25 11h31m01s #0011 M.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 100

But IQ, shallow DOF and low-light performance should not be your only criteria when picking up a lens.

My previous Zeiss 35mm f1.4 had all of the above attributes but would have failed miserably (especially if paired with an M3) in the following situation:
21-10-09 12h59m58s 0176 L_.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

35GM with its dual linear motors is the only 35mm FE lens that could deliver ALL of the burst frames with eye in focus. Paired with an M3 or M4 would also have missed the peak of the jump.
Maybe the 35mm f1.8 could also nail it (focus wise) but it would have had a lot more CA (all the f1.8 lineup lenses suffer from significant CA) than I got here.

There is no escape: if you want top IQ, top AF performance the only way to go is with GM lenses. Tamron lacks on the IQ department, Sigma lacks on the AF.

If you are going to shoot mostly posing subjects and don't mind a bit of bulk then go with the Zeiss, you should be able to find quite a few 2nd hand now that the 35GM is out.

Last edited:
But IQ, shallow DOF and low-light performance should not be your only criteria when picking up a lens.

My previous Zeiss 35mm f1.4 had all of the above attributes but would have failed miserably (especially if paired with an M3) in the following situation:
View attachment 15528

35GM with its dual linear motors is the only 35mm FE lens that could deliver ALL of the burst frames with eye in focus. Paired with an M3 or M4 would also have missed the peak of the jump.
Maybe the 35mm f1.8 could also nail it (focus wise) but it would have had a lot more CA (all the f1.8 lineup lenses suffer from significant CA) than I got here.

There is no escape: if you want top IQ, top AF performance the only way to go is with GM lenses. Tamron lacks on the IQ department, Sigma lacks on the AF.

If you are going to shoot mostly posing subjects and don't mind a bit of bulk then go with the Zeiss, you should be able to find quite a few 2nd hand now that the 35GM is out.
Thank you for your feedback and insights...very helpful. The 35GM may not within my budget right now so I'll have to make some compromises if/when shooting any action.

Found this review by Gerald Undone comparing the two Sonys and the Sigma. Reaffirms my thoughts on the Sony 1.8

This is a modified thread from an earlier post to one of the members: " I recently purchased an A7iii bundle with the Sony FE 24-105 F4 G OSS lens as an all-around. I mainly shoot landscape, street and architectural photography, but will be looking to do portraits as well with the new camera (this is my first mirrorless full-frame). I have about $2k left over in my budget and am now reviewing options for 1-2 prime lenses... at least one, fast 24mm or 35mm 1.4 for indoor, low light. I've heard +'s and -'s on non-native lenses that are typically sold at discounts to Sony's native lenses but they seem to be good values if the performance and reliabilty is there...(Zeiss, Sigma Art, Samyang, Tamron, etc.). Would appreciate any feedback - hobby/amateur enthusiast that will be publishing and printing framed shots of my work -a lot in black and white."

Also, appreciate any on-line/YouTube recommendations/tutorials for inititial camera set up.

thanks in advance...

I know you said 24mm or 35mm, but allow me to suggest the very good Sony 20mm f/1.8 G. This is a surprisingly good lens from Sony, very sharp, and some have suggested it is better than the 24mm f/1.4 GM.

I'm suggesting it because it's cheaper than the 24 GM, but also because the 24-105 does go down the 24mm, but not to 20mm...

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back