Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am learning each time I go out with this camera and the last is what is turned off on the camera and I think I would call it close to auto mode
when you change to this silent mode. After going out yesterday and seeing my results under this is was a little disappointing but happy to learn it.
I like the silent mode as it doesn't scare the birds off but I hate and this is the major point that it now picks it's own ISO.
And in most cases it pick one where the shot is so grainy and an ugly shot in the end of it all.
So now I will go back to the I think its called the electronic shutter and hope for the best

I also notice when I did go to the sound shutter that some how I had moved my ISO up.
This was an easy fix by moving it in the settings. I will say I am not a full fan of ISO and I know you need it and I try to hang in there between 100 and 250.
And I know a few will not like this or these numbers but I find my shots are better looking this way.

I am not here to sell photo's but I still want to feel happy with what I get and I am getting some good shot as I think they are.
But some here may not so I will post a few in birds once I have finished this.

But back to the point of this to which I think isn't good how the silent shooting is set up by Sony.
The only thing this should do is what it reads and not all the other stuff. But I do like using it but not when the results are bad.
So I hope they this can be played with to just do silent shots and that all.
So if anyone know if there is a way to make this happen I am all ears.
Thanks for your time and have a good day.

Oh Where I live we are in Lock Down number 7.

From my own A7iii experience the only thing that is lost when turning on silent mode/electronic shutter is the ability to use iso50 and flashes.

The worst (from using electronic shutter - silent or otherwise) is the terrible rolling shutter distortion of this sensor, unusable for fast moving subjects.

I have not notice the points you have mentioned on the ISO part and I don't use a flash set up and have not for a very long time.
But I have never tried it on fast moving subjects at all..

I have been using Silent shutter ever since I got my A 7III, I have not noticed the problems that you mentioned. I have recently reviewed Mark Galer's writings about the shutter differences. Having said that, you think I would be able to help more. Sorry, I can't. I will say for my shooting, the Silent shutter was perfect and it never did anything bad to me. Afonso mentioned fast moving subjects but I have not been there as yet. I believe that Mr. Galer recommend the Silent Shutter for action shots bur I could not find this now. Sorry.

I will check out his cahnnel for this and thank yo for that.

Last edited:
Having just gotten the A1, when I read the article I was pleased about how some of the restrictions I'd noticed on my A7R IV won't be an issue with the new camera. Haven't really put things to the test yet; am still in the getting-to-know-you phase with the A1 and am still tweaking settings occasionally. I have the camera set so that it will automatically shift between the electronic shutter and the mechanical one and actually I haven't noticed a difference yet. I haven't put the camera into silent mode yet, either.

Back