Sony A7IV OR A9

Blkjep3

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Kevin Ingram
I am looking to upgrade my a7III. I am torn between choosing a nice Sony A9 or the new A7IV. I know there will not be a lot of real world experience with the new A7IV, but I was hoping someone with some A9 experience could provide some insight on which they thought would be a better camera. I shoot occasional senior portraits, family portraits, pictures at the zoo, and pictures of my grandkids and dogs running around just doing normal things. I also have the opportunity to shoot some high school basketball games at our local high school. So I guess I’m basically looking for input on which would be the better all-around camera for a wide variety of photography subjects. Appreciate any input

The A9 has a strong AA filter, the A7iii ergo, no flicker control, no lossless compressed raw file option, a slow mechanical shutter (max 5fps), and slow SD card input if you use both slots. With the A7iv you get the same EVF, slightly better mechanical shutter, flicker control, no AA filter, the newer ergo, and if pressed for video you get better options. To me anyway, if you don't need the electronic shutter and can deal with the flippy screen then the A7iv seems the better option.

The only thing in your post that says A9 is the basketball games. Other than that, the 7IV is probably a better choice for you.

Back