Followers
Following
Name
Mick Payton
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Presteigne
Anyone else thinking that the A7R5 will be the A7R4 with all new touch screen?

I would be happy if they added the CFExpress type A cards so that there was very little buffer.

I can understand that, especially for action/ sports guys, myself I never hit the buffer shooting mainly models.

100mp, 14fps Mechnical, Touchscreen, CF Express, 10mp LCD Viewfinder :)

Kev, I'm happy with 61 Mp. Files are big.
I too hope it has CFExpress capability but, like in the latest camera, slots that will take both SDs and the new CFExpress.
I would like a fully articulating screen, same form factor and battery as a7RIV, and the AF of the a9II

I just got my A7Riv a couple months ago, and am happy with the 61 MP. I also don't like touch screens on cameras, so that would not be anything I would care to have. As I shoot hummingbirds, I think my biggest 'want' is a larger buffer, as I often fill it when capturing these beautiful creatures in my backyard. CFExpress capability would be nice, but is not something I would upgrade for. Overall, I am quite happy with my new camera...it's a BEAST!

Kev, I'm happy with 61 Mp. Files are big.
I too hope it has CFExpress capability but, like in the latest camera, slots that will take both SDs and the new CFExpress.
I would like a fully articulating screen, same form factor and battery as a7RIV, and the AF of the a9II

So am I, and I don't see the need for more. I was just thinking about what they may try. I've spoken with a few people in the trade and it's generally accepted that 100mp is the finite maximum on Full Frame, and it's unlikely it will become a reality. It's really not necessary. I'm no fan of touchscreens either, nor articulating to be honest, I never use the screen for framing shots. The A9 II AF would be nice, not sure why it shouldn't be possible, but the RIV is no slouch.

I went with the a7riii because of sensor size. I would be ok with a 61mp sensor if you could downsample it. But I simply do not want to deal with files that large and the ensuing storage requirements.

I also really want to see lossless compressed raw.

I went with the a7riii because of sensor size. I would be ok with a 61mp sensor if you could downsample it. But I simply do not want to deal with files that large and the ensuing storage requirements.

I also really want to see lossless compressed raw.
The compressed RAW on the RIV is lossless really. You really cannot tell the difference between compressed and uncompressed. Storage isn't so bad, drives are cheap enough. A full size file, uncompressed is only175mb.

The compressed RAW on the RIV is lossless really. You really cannot tell the difference between compressed and uncompressed. Storage isn't so bad, drives are cheap enough. A full size file, uncompressed is only175mb.
To store one 175 mb file in actuallity takes 525 mb, 1) the primary storage location (in my case a raid), 2) another physical backup, and 3) online backup. So if you do a meager 20k images per year then your yearly storage needs are 10.5 tb every year.

That is why I went with the smaller sensor a7riii, I fully expect for the a7rv user to be able to select raw image size (just like jpg).

Last edited:
To store one 175 mb file in actuallity takes 525 mb, 1) the primary storage location (in my case a raid), 2) another physical backup, and 3) online backup. So if you do a meager 20k images per year then your yearly storage needs are 10.5 tb every year.

That is why I went with the smaller sensor a7riii, I fully expect for the a7riv user to be able to select raw image size (just like jpg).

Does it? How so?

A7r5 would be nice but i would prefer a a9r what ever the high mp count would be 40,50,60 the e/s with limited rolling shutter would of great benefit ,20 fps, new bionz processor so no more lag when starting up changing settings etc. 4k 60p 10 bit ,with the dual cf express /sd card slots ,the latest evf 9 million dot ,improved ibis if they can.

A7r5 would be nice but i would prefer a a9r what ever the high mp count would be 40,50,60 the e/s with limited rolling shutter would of great benefit ,20 fps, new bionz processor so no more lag when starting up changing settings etc. 4k 60p 10 bit ,with the dual cf express /sd card slots ,the latest evf 9 million dot ,improved ibis if they can.
The real game changer will be when we have a true high mp global shutter sensor...

The real game changer will be when we have a true high mp global shutter sensor...
Yes not sure we will be seeing this anytime soon. In the mean time a stacked sensor does the job for 95% of applications coupled with a good mechanical shutter 10+fps we are good for every eventuality .

Agree with 61Mp being enough for me as well. Some of the in-body processing that are seen in other cameras such as in-body ND effects, or focus stacking would be nice to have. Not sure I want another card standard after having upgraded cards to large fast UHS-II. That adds to the cost of the new camera.

Regardless, the one thing you can count on Sony doing is pepper-spraying us with incremental "improvements" while mortaring us with higher prices.
That's an interesting way of putting it. I recently moved from an A6300 to the A7RIV and it was a big jump. But between the full-frames it was difficult to see major differences in some of the A7(R) series when looking for a new camera.

When the A7RV comes out I sure people will like whatever Sony adds to it. I mean, everyone wants the newest release, right? (Kinda sorta sincere, kinda sorta sarcastic.)

I am blown away with the capabilities of the A7Riv, so I really can't think of anything that SONY could put on the R5 that would make me want to upgrade. This camera should last me a LONG time! I know it's fun and almost expected for current owners to speculate on the next greatest camera, but in reality, I am quite content.

Back