Followers
Following
Name
Jonathan
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Buckinghamshire
I have an A7Riv and an A7c which I am very happy with but was considering trading both in against an A1 but I have noticed that some forum members have both the A1 and A7Riv so wondering why have both? What reason would you have for keeping the A7Riv apart from the additional pixels?

I have the A7R IV that I bought a couple of years ago and decided to keep it when I bought the A1 several months ago. Why? I like having two camera bodies when out in the field shooting -- one can have a long lens on and be tripod-mounted while the other can have a different lens on for other shooting -- but mostly, I use the A7R IV at home for shooting macros, closeups, etc. I keep the A1 set up differently for shooting wildlife. So far this has worked out really well for me, although of course there are periods of time when the A7R IV sits in the cabinet while I'm out-and-about with the A1. During the winter it's the A1 which has often had more "cabinet time" while the A7R IV has been busily shooting closeups or macros with me. Now that Spring is coming, soon I will be venturing further afield and will have both cameras with me plus several lenses so that I can shoot in response to different scenes, rapid changes in the scene, etc.

Bear in mind that an A1 is quite an expensive camera and I'm not at all sure that it's that much better than what you have.
I have an A1 and have had an A7R3 and A92. I don't think the A1 is a 5 grand better camera than either of them.

Thanks Clix Pix for you reply. Helpful to see what others think. I think Slug's comment is also true and fear I may just be having a GAS problem. o_O

I have both, but I kept the A7R4 as backup (I had an A9II, but sold it when I bought the A1).

I disagree with Slug. I am not saying Slug is wrong. I am saying that my reaction is different.

For me, the A1 is well worth its price. I have had it a year, and I’ve passed 100 000 images. I must say, though, that you have to be prepared to learn the A1. It is a powerful and flexible camera, but it needs to be driven by an awake and alert driver! Mine has obediently done the wrong thing on a number of occasions, but the problem is generally located a few inches behind the viewfinder. :unsure:o_O:rolleyes: Even so, this is the most fun I’ve ever had with a camera. YMMV!

I would only recommend getting an A1 if:
  1. You already have some good lenses, or you are willing to buy some - you can use an A1 with a 28-60mm kit lens (just don’t say so!), but you will want some good glass
  2. You can afford it comfortably - do not mortgage your first born child or your left kidney - that never ends well
  3. You are willing to put in the time to set up the camera, and learn why you have made those settings
  4. You can afford to make mistakes, sigh, and try again
  5. You will be using the camera actively, not just occasionally. There are better cameras if you’ll only be taking photos a few times a year.

I would only recommend getting an A1 if:
  1. You already have some good lenses, or you are willing to buy some - you can use an A1 with a 28-60mm kit lens (just don’t say so!), but you will want some good glass
  2. You can afford it comfortably - do not mortgage your first born child or your left kidney - that never ends well
  3. You are willing to put in the time to set up the camera, and learn why you have made those settings
  4. You can afford to make mistakes, sigh, and try again
  5. You will be using the camera actively, not just occasionally. There are better cameras if you’ll only be taking photos a few times a year.
Some good points Tony. I do have good lenses and can afford the camera (just) but not sure I take enough photos to justify the expense. In a bit of a photographic rut at present so what may be driving the interest is the possibility of a new camera stimulating my photography, but that may be wishful thinking and I should probably just get out more with the kit I already have.

I just prefer carrying two cameras with different lenses. However, I cannot justify a second A1.

I waited quite a while for my A1, which gave me time to accumulate the necessary funds and to make my decision about whether or not to keep the A7R IV -- I am very happy that I did hang on to it! I do shoot frequently -- nearly every day, actually -- and so my gear definitely gets plenty of exercise. I also am still learning things with my A1; that camera is not forgiving of mistakes, and that in itself is a good learning tool.

Over the two years that I've had the A7R IV I gradually added lenses as the need (or desire and funds) arose, which was good, and since I've had the A1 I've added a couple more. This camera and the A7R IV both appreciate good lenses!

Last edited:
I waited quite a while for my A1, which gave me time to accumulate the necessary funds and to make my decision about whether or not to keep the A7R IV -- I am very happy that I did hang on to it! I do shoot frequently -- nearly every day, actually -- and so my gear definitely gets plenty of exercise. I also am still learning things with my A1; that camera is not forgiving of mistakes, and that in itself is a a good learning tool.

Over the two years that I've had the A7R IV I gradually added lenses as the need (or desire and funds) arose, which was good, and since I've had the A1 I've added a couple more. This camera and the A7R IV both appreciate good lenses!

The new 70-200 GM II is a pleasure on the A1. The reduced weight is much easier when out and about.

The 50mm f/1.2 GM, too, but for different subjects - I use it a lot in the studio, both with strobes and eith natural light.

Some good points Tony. I do have good lenses and can afford the camera (just) but not sure I take enough photos to justify the expense. In a bit of a photographic rut at present so what may be driving the interest is the possibility of a new camera stimulating my photography, but that may be wishful thinking and I should probably just get out more with the kit I already have.

Don’t know if it applies to you, but sometimes what helps me is to buy a lens that is out of the norm for me. Does not have to be an expensive lens - one time I bought a relatively inexpensive full circle fisheye lens - not expensive but produced really weird images (seriously- it makes circular images). Last time I was considering getting a mirror telephoto - still considering.

The new 70-200 GM II is a pleasure on the A1. The reduced weight is much easier when out and about.

The 50mm f/1.2 GM, too, but for different subjects - I use it a lot in the studio, both with strobes and eith natural light.

I love my 50mm f/1.2 GM -- just a spectacular lens!! Don't have the new 70-200mm f/2.8 GM II, but it is on my "someday...." list. I can think of so many ways to enjoy shooting with that lens..... Right now there are a couple of other financial priorities to take care of first, but after that's done, then I can indulge myself by buying the new 70-200.

In the past for me, buying a new camera or a new lens has indeed helped with being stymied by a temporary lack of creativity and ability to find new things to shoot, but over time I've learned to simply work with what I've got at the moment, too..... So if I've been shooting a lot with one particular lens, time to set that one aside and grab another that I haven't touched In a while and take that one out to play. This helps with that "if I just had an x,y,z new lens....." feeling or the one which goes along the lines of "maybe if I bought the new ABC camera body that would make a difference!" I've got plenty of gear right here, right now, at home, and while I'm using one lens or one camera body the other stuff is sitting in the cabinet. I sometimes have to make a conscious effort to ignore the favorite(s) and pull out a different lens and challenge myself.

That said, I've got a few new lenses on my wish list but have other financial priorities which need to come first before I consider actually purchasing one or more new lenses.... I keep reminding myself I've got plenty with which to work right now and the challenge is discovering new things with that gear.

For what its worth, I've had a series of Sony's since going over from film to digital and currently use an A6400 and full frame A1. For whatever reason I get consistently better results with the A6400 on birds (in flight) than any other camera I've used.

Replying to the OP post, like what some mentioned as well, a 2nd body is needed for various situation/application which is especially important to a wildlife or birding photog. TBH I haven’t got a 2nd body yet (still new to Sony system) but I believe I would need to get 1 very soon. Just yesterday I was out with a tripod mounted lens and my daughter told me there is a “beautiful red bird” just on top of me perched on a tree. Obviously the 600 is not going to make it and the only camera I have at that point is my mobile phone.

Anyway u get the point :)

Back