Followers
Following
Name
Rachael Padman
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Suffolk
I have a strange problem with my A9, in that it does not output HDMI properly when in movie or S&Q mode. It does not matter what format -- same for HD and 4k.
If I turn on "Show Display Info" then _that_ does come through to the external monitor, but against a black background.

It seems to me that this must be a software issue: clearly all the circuitry for sending the sensor image to HDMI works, and equally, the mode dial to select Movie, S&Q etc works. I have had the camera for nearly two years, but never tried this before, so I am guessing the issue has been there all along.

My instinct is to reset to factory condition, and then redo all the updates, and customisation, but I thought I'd just test whether this is a known problem to which there is a simple fix. Any insight would be welcomed!

Solution
But I forgot, you can't unwind the firmware updates, and can't reinstall them. So I am sending it off for repair.
Finally got it back today. All fixed. New PCB and new switch block. Interestingly, there are small differences in the firmware too -- no longer asks me if I want PAL when I turn it on. All credit to Sony, they have done a good job, they kept me informed, and they were good on the phone.
Not sure if this is related to your issue, but maybe start here.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00120915
Thanks Mike. Yes, I had found those, but it's the other way round -- no HDMI output from the sensor in video modes, to anything, not even direct to a monitor. There is a nice YouTube video by Gerald Undone explaining most of the issues relating to the Sony article, which seem to be mostly about reducing the processing burden, but I know that other people do get HDMI video, so this must be one-off problem in my camera I think.

My instinct is to reset to factory condition, and then redo all the updates, and customisation, but I thought I'd just test whether this is a known problem to which there is a simple fix. Any insight would be welcomed!
But I forgot, you can't unwind the firmware updates, and can't reinstall them. So I am sending it off for repair.

Finally got it back today. All fixed. New PCB and new switch block. Interestingly, there are small differences in the firmware too -- no longer asks me if I want PAL when I turn it on. All credit to Sony, they have done a good job, they kept me informed, and they were good on the phone.

Solution
Back