Followers
Following
Name
Cliff Day
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Monmouthshire ,Wales
It’s a significant amount extra for the version 2 , so what’s the verdict, should I flex my credit card for the A9 or go bonkers , fall out with the wife and step up for the A9ii
I currently have the A7iii which I’m keeping for now

the reading i have done seems to indicate the biggest differences are - mechanical shutter speed goes from 5fps to 10fps, (e shutters are both 20fps) the ii has an anti flicker mode for 50/60hz lighting, the ii gets gb ethernet transfer speed (and encryption), IBIS is rated at 5.5 stops intead of 5 stops, tweaks to eye AF and both card slots are UHS-ii compatible instead of just 1 for the A9.

My general takeaway was, for the average hobbyist the improvements are probably not worth the extra cost.

Though I settled on the RIV, all of my research ahead of buying included these 2. I'd have gone for the A9 and bought a small grip extension as it's a small grip generally, and the II has an improved grip, but otherwise, apart from the 10fps mechanical, there's not enough in it to warrant the extra IMO.

well, of course that's the other option the r4, ......hmmm, I have a small grip extension on my 7iii with hinged battery door access compartment and its brilliant, totally changes the handling,

well, of course that's the other option the r4, ......hmmm, I have a small grip extension on my 7iii with hinged battery door access compartment and its brilliant, totally changes the handling,

Those grip extensions aren't needed on the new models. I think that if you aren't a bird in flight nut, the RIV is the best all around camera by far, plus it has the most beautiful bright viewfinder, which for some reason the A9II doesn't. It's plenty capable of Birds in Flight too of course, and so much more.

I make a living photographing birds and teaching others to do the same. I have two a9 ii bodies and one a7r iv. For birds in flight and in action the a9 ii rocks. The a7r iv is almost as good on the 600 GM but does not play well for flight photography with the 200-600 G. I had an a9 and loved it but the thicker body of the a9 ii fits my hand much better so I am glad that I upgraded. I do not use a battery grip with SONY as the batteries last forever and I enjoy the light weight of the SONY bodies ... with love, a

Back