A99ii Shooter upgrade to a7riii or a7riv?

Jennifer TMPhoto

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Jennifer White
Are there any photographers that have made the transfer from the A99ii to the A7Riii or A7riv? I've been an A-mount shooter since 2003. I love my A99ii (also have A77 & A100), but it's getting to the point where I need a full frame back up. I absolutely love the A99ii and just haven't seen any mirrorless that even compare to it. My biggest issue with the newer mirrorless is the back LCD screen not being fully functional. I need something that is at least 42.4 mp FF. My only options are really the A7Riii, A7Riv, A1, or getting another A99ii. I have a HUGE concern about the mirrorless and that is the LCD Screen.

I do photography full time and I shoot a lot of Real Estate. At every single shoot I find a small room where I have to get as far back in a corner as possible and the only way to see what I'm doing is to flip my screen up and around to position it. You can't do that with the A7riii or A7riv because of the useless tilt screen! This is a huge issue for me and is the reason I'm back to looking at getting another A99ii.

There's also a number of reasons I'm concerned about changing to the mirrorless. I currently don't have the funds to change all my A-mount lenses to the Emount so I would have to byy the a - e mount adapters and that has me worried about focus and mechanical issues. I also don't like the smaller size. I feel like I'm going to drop it.

On the A7Riv, I love the 61 mp size which would be great for my fine art side, but I don't need that large of a file for families, real estate, ect. I don't like the fact that Sony doesn't let us pick the RAW file size like you can Jpeg. I shoot everything RAW. My new computer can even get slow sometimes when I'm working on a photoshoot with lots of files at 42.4 mp so that really worries me about 61.

Are there any A99ii shooters out there that made the switch? Anyone used to the fully functional rotating screen of the A99ii that made the switch? How did you handle the screen issue? I really can't get an external screen monitor because my hot shoot has my flash remote on it during RE sessions so that won't work. I guess I can bluetooth it to my phone, but that would be time consuming and use up my phone and camera battery.

I'm torn on what to do. I love my A99ii but since they are absolute now I'm afraid to get another, but there are so many things I don't like about the mirrorless.

Are there any photographers that have made the transfer from the A99ii to the A7Riii or A7riv? I've been an A-mount shooter since 2003. I love my A99ii (also have A77 & A100), but it's getting to the point where I need a full frame back up. I absolutely love the A99ii and just haven't seen any mirrorless that even compare to it. My biggest issue with the newer mirrorless is the back LCD screen not being fully functional. I need something that is at least 42.4 mp FF. My only options are really the A7Riii, A7Riv, A1, or getting another A99ii. I have a HUGE concern about the mirrorless and that is the LCD Screen.

I do photography full time and I shoot a lot of Real Estate. At every single shoot I find a small room where I have to get as far back in a corner as possible and the only way to see what I'm doing is to flip my screen up and around to position it. You can't do that with the A7riii or A7riv because of the useless tilt screen! This is a huge issue for me and is the reason I'm back to looking at getting another A99ii.

There's also a number of reasons I'm concerned about changing to the mirrorless. I currently don't have the funds to change all my A-mount lenses to the Emount so I would have to byy the a - e mount adapters and that has me worried about focus and mechanical issues. I also don't like the smaller size. I feel like I'm going to drop it.

On the A7Riv, I love the 61 mp size which would be great for my fine art side, but I don't need that large of a file for families, real estate, ect. I don't like the fact that Sony doesn't let us pick the RAW file size like you can Jpeg. I shoot everything RAW. My new computer can even get slow sometimes when I'm working on a photoshoot with lots of files at 42.4 mp so that really worries me about 61.

Are there any A99ii shooters out there that made the switch? Anyone used to the fully functional rotating screen of the A99ii that made the switch? How did you handle the screen issue? I really can't get an external screen monitor because my hot shoot has my flash remote on it during RE sessions so that won't work. I guess I can bluetooth it to my phone, but that would be time consuming and use up my phone and camera battery.

I'm torn on what to do. I love my A99ii but since they are absolute now I'm afraid to get another, but there are so many things I don't like about the mirrorless.
HI I have the a99ii and love it still but I also have the a9 which is excellent focus wise speed wise etc , I have the sony 300 2.8 g and thats great on the a9 with lea 5 , so I guess you like the 42 million pixels so a7riv, the reason i did not get that is because I shoot uncompressed raw

HI I have the a99ii and love it still but I also have the a9 which is excellent focus wise speed wise etc , I have the sony 300 2.8 g and thats great on the a9 with lea 5 , so I guess you like the 42 million pixels so a7riv, the reason i did not get that is because I shoot uncompressed raw
Thanks. Yes, I do need atleast 42.4 for my fine art stuff. The file sizes with the 61mp do concern me on portraits, RE photography, ect where that size isn't necessary. But that would be great for my fine art stuff. I could always keep using my A99ii on RE and Portraits and the R7iv for fine art, but....still have to deal with space, slower computer processing and the fact that I don't have a budget at the moment for E-mount lenses.

Hi,

About adapters: I have been using the on a A7 II for many years as I still own lots of Minolta/Sony A-mount lenses.

The SSM lenses work really well with the LA-EA3 adapter. And LE-EA5 adapter. All focus modes supported on the E-mount bodies are well supported. Focusing is snappy with those lenses, even old older bodies like the A7II. No micro-focus adjustment required since focusing is done on the sensor itself :)

As for screw-driven lenses, if you chose to buy an A1 or A7rIV or the new A7IV: they all support them via the LA-EA5 adapter. Focusing isn't as fast as it was on the A99 but still very usable.

You won't need to upgrade / change all your lenses at once if you get the right adapters.

Regards,
L.

Back