Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Ok, I'll admit I love the suspense. Just saw this, and figured maybe start one. In deference to Tim M., I'll keep anything I find right here.

If they can give this the speed of the current A9, the new AI AF of the RM5, and some reasonable 35-40 MP sensor, I will start saving my shekels now. I'd sell the RMIII and the M4 would move to backup. I admit to wishing for the first time in my life I had a bit more shutter speed at the Karate Tournament. I got some really cool shots, but missed some in the process.

There's a video in the link, but it's only the rumor guy doing his You Tube thing.

The new Sony A9III will be tested at the FIFA World Cup?​

A month ago I got hints that the A9III might be coming in early 2023. it’s only a hint, nothing solid yet. But small bread crumps of rumors keep coming in like this one I got this week:

A9 III will be lent to select photographers during the FIFA world cup and possibly during the Asian winter games.
I repeat, I am still not certain the A9III is coming in early 2023, but from a timing point of view it would certainly make sense for Sony to replace the now over 3 years old Sony A9II. Here some rumored WILD specs:

All I'll say is if Sony are going to persevere with this AI that actually isn't even AI, therefore false marketing, I won't be too fond of committing to a long future with them.

True AI is continually self learning, that's the foundational point of it. Their system doesn't self learn. I read something where they were saying they came up with the AI part because AI was used to do the AF research and programming simulations instead of humans. So really what they are saying there is they saved money by laying off some engineers, yet charge you more money for the camera.

Ridiculous to market it as an AI system. If it really was an AI system, over the space of a shoot or two, you would no longer have to tell it what subject it is looking at, you would no longer have to set focus points or adjust AF settings in different situations because it would simply learn what you do and just automatically do it. It is not an AI system. Absolute BS...

Come on Clint, why not tell us how you REALLY feel?!

As for my part, I don't give a rat's fat butt if they call it Hal, as long as it works.

All I'll say is if Sony are going to persevere with this AI that actually isn't even AI, therefore false marketing, I won't be too fond of committing to a long future with them.

True AI is continually self learning, that's the foundational point of it. Their system doesn't self learn. I read something where they were saying they came up with the AI part because AI was used to do the AF research and programming simulations instead of humans. So really what they are saying there is they saved money by laying off some engineers, yet charge you more money for the camera.

Ridiculous to market it as an AI system. If it really was an AI system, over the space of a shoot or two, you would no longer have to tell it what subject it is looking at, you would no longer have to set focus points or adjust AF settings in different situations because it would simply learn what you do and just automatically do it. It is not an AI system. Absolute BS...

I have seen the new system described as “subject and posture recognition and analysis”, but that is a bit too many big words for the marketing team. Bear in mind that marketing people have only tangential contact with accuracy - we are talking about the people who think that a sensor which produces 60.2 megapixel images should be advertised as 61 megapixels…

That said, I have respect for the engineers at Sony, and I think this new AF system will address problems I have with the old one - I have ordered an A7RV to find out, so I know how much I want it when they bring out an A1 model that has it.

Back to the topic at hand, I am hoping the A9 III will be at least as fast as the A1, as well as featuring the new AF system (whatever label they stick on it), probably the new rear screen and card slots, and more. I don’t know if it will get a resolution bump, so that might disappoint you, Tim - they might distinguish the A9 and A1 lines that way (A9 small pixel count, A1 big pixel count), but maybe they won’t?

I don’t know if it will get a resolution bump, so that might disappoint you, Tim - they might distinguish the A9 and A1 lines that way (A9 small pixel count, A1 big pixel count), but maybe they won’t?
No, I suspect that is 100% correct. I'm just hoping against hope that they see fit to bump it now that the RII and RIII are all but obsolete. I expect them to say they're ceasing production of the RIIIa one day soon possibly in conjunction with the 9III release, which would leave room for a 40MP sensor. Having said that, unless they introduce a new S camera they'll probably rely on it for their fast low-light specialty.

Plenty of Kool-Aide to go around in this one. Pay particular attention to the third one, but pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

About those rumors: I have no idea who sent them and 90% of the times they turn out to be wrong. But, it happened in the past that a couple of those were right. So I will post them today, and we all together can eventually keep track of this. If one of the sources turns out to be right than we will know we can trust it a bit more!

Source 1:

The newly developed 4K camera ILME-FX9 with dynamic resolution cmos sensor, has a similar reading nature to the Clear Vid sensor, but it has square original pixels. It supports full-frame 4K/60p with super-sampling and 4K/120p with 1.1x crop. And it has two base ISO at 800 and 6400.

Source 2:

After the new A9 series camera, Sony will introduce the A7 IVA, similar to the RX100M5 upgrade to the RX100M5A, rather than the A7R III simple upgrade to the A7R IIIA.
It will get all the new features of the A7RV: 4-axis multi-angle LCD, 8-stop image stabilization, new AI processor, new menus, full-time DMF, all-new AI-based autofocus system with advanced subject recognition, 4K 100/120fps video capability with pixel-by-pixel cropping and pixel-shift multi-shot.
The reason why it is not called A7 V is because the upgrade is not enough.

Source 3:

A9 iii will feature a stacked bsi cmos sensor of 33 mpx

Lol… I have no issue with having subject recognition trained by machine learning being labeled as AI.
Good luck finding a camera that has the processing capability to constantly learn as you use it.

I would expect firmware updates as more images hit the database.

Even without the advanced subject recognition of the A7 R5 the A1 continues to impress.

Sounds good. I’ll be looking to pick up a second hand A9ii as a backup for my A7iv, while I learn how to use Tik Tok instead of only fans.

Back