Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
This is the first time I've had to pay for an upgrade, so not happy, but on the other hand it's a whole new version.

They're offering it at a special launch price (regularly $69) as a standalone for $40 U.S., and I can tell you it's worth that much all week and twice on Sundays. You can also get it in a suite with a couple of graphics type programs.

I'm not thrilled about paying for it, but they've never charged me for an upgrade before and I paid $54 for V1, so I'll be sending them $40 when I get home. It's an amazingly powerful program.

£35.99 here in UK. I'm glad I waited a few days :)
A shame they didn't include any file management options, but still looks like a solid buy.

Looks like a solid Photoshop replacement... and no subscription which is nice.
I've been looking fr something like that for a long, long time. Already replaced most of what I can do on Premiere and After Effects with Resolve... the Affinity suite would help replace Photoshop & Illustrator. Still not sure about Lightroom though... as well as Adobe fonts. I use it more than I ever thought.

Downloaded. So far it looks and acts almost like V1. :unsure:

I'll dig in a little deeper when I get time.

Downloaded. So far it looks and acts almost like V1. :unsure:

I'll dig in a little deeper when I get time.
Haven't got acquainted with Affinity Photo yet, but may have to. Just got notified by Adobe that my subscription rates were going to increase almost 100%. I called to cancel, told the rep on the phone why I was cancelling, and she extended by subscription another year at the same rate I'd been paying. I'm pretty comfortable with Lr but continue to struggle with Ps. A realtor asked how good my Ps skills are. I replied "Adequate". I think that the only people who are really comfortable with Photoshop work for Adobe.

Haven't got acquainted with Affinity Photo yet, but may have to. Just got notified by Adobe that my subscription rates were going to increase almost 100%. I called to cancel, told the rep on the phone why I was cancelling, and she extended by subscription another year at the same rate I'd been paying. I'm pretty comfortable with Lr but continue to struggle with Ps. A realtor asked how good my Ps skills are. I replied "Adequate". I think that the only people who are really comfortable with Photoshop work for Adobe.
Most Adobe apps have grown too much, while keeping too many things from their origins. I'd say all Adobe apps should be entirely rebuilt from scratch. Which won't happen, of course... but there's just too much old baggage on them.

Is switching apps worth the pain of a new learning curve?

Is switching apps worth the pain of a new learning curve?
That's not the question. The question is, is switching apps worth the cost savings? I told Adobe to P up a rope years ago. They can stuff their subscription service.

I've been looking fr something like that for a long, long time. Already replaced most of what I can do on Premiere and After Effects with Resolve... the Affinity suite would help replace Photoshop & Illustrator. Still not sure about Lightroom though... as well as Adobe fonts. I use it more than I ever thought.
I thought about Affinity, but only because I was using PS to edit my photos instead of LR. My personal usage of PS didn't scratch the surface of what it could do, so I figured the same with Affinity. This is how I ended up going with ON1 instead.

Everyone's needs are different.

Hi Tim -- If I had more years in front of me as a photographer and even a year or two already in Affinity, I'd probably agree with you. Right now I can afford the subscription a lot easier than I can the time to start all over again learning how to edit in a new app. I don't think Adobe shows it readily on their site when you search for package pricing, but their "Photographer Package" of Ps and Lr is $10/mo. Anybody who's doing this commercially will make a years worth of that in one or two jobs. My subscription is a little taller than that because I regularly need some of the their other apps, like Pr, Acrobat, and Encoder. But Adobe's super steep price increase was so clearly abusive I had to take action. But if I'm not forced into it, I'll stay with what I know if only because I know how to use it. So... was relieved to accept the offer to hold my rate unchanged.

Can sure understand your position though. Just ain't worth the pain for me to start all over again.

I use Darktable and Affinity. In both programs, contrast does the same thing. So does sharpening, saturation, curves, etc. etc., ad nauseum. The point is you don't have a huge learning curve to properly process a photo, you already know how to do that. The only thing you have to learn are the program's idiosyncrasies. Still, I get it. I bought the original Affinity and it set dormant on my computer for almost a year while I steadfastly avoided it for the same reason. Once I got started though I found it an enjoyable experience.

Don't let 'new' stop you. New is good.

You're tipping the scales toward trying it out. Will re-post if I make the leap. Thanks for the encouragement.......... R

I thought about Affinity, but only because I was using PS to edit my photos instead of LR. My personal usage of PS didn't scratch the surface of what it could do, so I figured the same with Affinity. This is how I ended up going with ON1 instead.

I went and looked at ON1's website, and it's unclear. There are ton of choices, and it looks like they have subscription services like Adobe? Also, the cost looks to be excessive. I think I recall looking at them once before and rejecting the idea for the same reasons.

What is it about their program that makes it easier/faster than PS/Affinity/Others? Am I misreading the cost? Please expand, enquiring minds want to know!

I also had a look at ON1... and while it does help a lot for what I'm looking to replace, it'd still need to add some Affinity products, and maybe some way to license fonts at a flat rate (I do have an Envato Elements sub, which includes fonts, but most of them are just super fancy stuff). So in the end, the cost of replacing Adobe kept adding up. Damn them :LOL:

I went and looked at ON1's website, and it's unclear. There are ton of choices, and it looks like they have subscription services like Adobe? Also, the cost looks to be excessive. I think I recall looking at them once before and rejecting the idea for the same reasons.

What is it about their program that makes it easier/faster than PS/Affinity/Others? Am I misreading the cost? Please expand, enquiring minds want to know!
They have a subscription model for their top tier bundle, but they have a one-time purchase option, and in full disclosure I bought ON1 2022 when it went on sale for $50:

For further clarification, I purchased ON1 Photo Raw 2022. The current equivalent (for $100) is: https://www.on1.com/store/psxe-raw23/

The main draw for me was to find a LightRoom/CaptureOne replacement at a bargain price, which I found. It had software updates regularly with lens correction profiles which didn't require a subscription. Not sure if I will still get those updates now that they have launched 2023, we shall see. It was everything I needed (Raw developer) and more (Noise reduction, some cool plug-ins, and clever photo editing without being a full blown art studio like PS/Afinity).

Back