Sony A6300 Aftermarket charger

Sony A6300 Resources: Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Rexnothere

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
David Ewers
i recently purchased an a6300 and i only gos an usb cable to charge the battery. Since i plan on using this for video on my travels. i do not want to depend on the body to charge.

I bought this one below and it basically was worthless. what have you used

Thanks

Dave
kastar.jpg

There are quite a few options on Amazon that come with a charger and 2 spare batteries. I got one of those but after a year and a half the aftermarket batteries started swelling slightly. They still work, but the swelling makes them just a bit too tight to slide out of the camera with the same ease as the OEM Sony battery. To be honest I don't remember the name of that brand and Amazon doesn't carry it anymore. I may try with the Wasabi Power brand next, or I may simply buy another genuine Sony battery since the charger wasn't the issue.

example of the wasabi product:

I usually use Wasabi. Go to their website and buy from them direct, bigger selection, pricing same as Amazon, free shipping.

@Rexnothere please describe what makes it 'worthless'? I've used Kastar in the past with success. I had some for my old A700 and SLT-A65. It's helpful for others to know details of the problem. Did you get batteries with it or just the charger?

I can add a Wasabi experience. I have (Had!) a Wasabi dual charger and was recently charging one battery via one of the USB ports on the front of my Dell PC. While talking on my phone, there was a loud bang. It sounded like a .22 rifle shot right next to me. I looked around for the source of the bang and found my battery was no longer charging. Further investigation found that two of the three USB ports on my PC are now dead. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper about this. Here is my response:

1. I will never charge batteries with my PC again
2. I will not use a Wasabi charger again, a cell phone charger is a lot cheaper if it smokes!

Now I need a new dual charger. I;m about to pull the trigger on the Powerextra Dual USB Charger with 2 2500mAh batteries. I personally don't care for non-OEM batteries ( I dislike the Warnings that my camera gives me when I use them) but these have a higher mAh rating than most at least. I can use them around the house for various camera tasks and use Sony batteries for a camera shoot. I have enough Sony batteries.

I can add a Wasabi experience. I have (Had!) a Wasabi dual charger and was recently charging one battery via one of the USB ports on the front of my Dell PC. While talking on my phone, there was a loud bang. It sounded like a .22 rifle shot right next to me. I looked around for the source of the bang and found my battery was no longer charging. Further investigation found that two of the three USB ports on my PC are now dead. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper about this. Here is my response:

1. I will never charge batteries with my PC again
2. I will not use a Wasabi charger again, a cell phone charger is a lot cheaper if it smokes!

Now I need a new dual charger. I;m about to pull the trigger on the Powerextra Dual USB Charger with 2 2500mAh batteries. I personally don't care for non-OEM batteries ( I dislike the Warnings that my camera gives me when I use them) but these have a higher mAh rating than most at least. I can use them around the house for various camera tasks and use Sony batteries for a camera shoot. I have enough Sony batteries.
Jeff, call Wasabi, they're stand up and will likely replace the charger. Also, I've had luck with Powerextra but they're no different than Wasabi. One of the main reasons I use Wasabi is that B&H includes them in some of their kits.

Jeff, call Wasabi, they're stand up and will likely replace the charger. Also, I've had luck with Powerextra but they're no different than Wasabi. One of the main reasons I use Wasabi is that B&H includes them in some of their kits.
Thanks but my Powerextra will be here today. You Gotta Love Amazon Prime same day shipping. So a member of this Forum, maybe it was Kev, was where I heard about Powerextra. The batteries have a higher capacity that the other off brand batteries. The worse part of this whole thing was what it did to my new, just out of Warranty, Dell XPS PC! I could care less about the charger itself.

I purchase only Sony batteries and Sony external chargers. (With the A7 R IV and A1, external chargers are actually provided anyway, but I need additional ones for travel and such). My reasoning is that this gear -- especially the A1 -- is too expensive to take chances on third-party batteries or chargers. I never charge my cameras with the computer, I prefer to keep that entire function entirely separate. I'm Sony all the way with this (and also with the Sony Tough Memory cards (SD and CFExpress Type A) as well).

I also have a spare battery and charger from Sony. Why take chances on third party products?

Bought a Sony A6000 as a back up camera along with a 3rd party extra battery and JJC dual charger.
It takes the camera charging inside a couple hours it takes the JJC 24 hrs plus to charge two batteries.
For the price you paid when the likes of the A6000 came onto the market you would have thought Sony would have included a mains charger even if it meant charging:) the customer an extra £20 or so. Russ.

I also have a spare battery and charger from Sony. Why take chances on third party products?
Why not? Why should I support Sony who charges me thousands of dollars for a camera and can't even include a $2 charger?

There is no risk to your camera if you charge in a charger. None. For less than $50 US I can get two batteries and charger. And they work fine. Sony wants $80 per battery and another $100 for the charger. Let's see, $260 or <$50 for the same thing? So far neither my A6000 or A7 IV have given me a problem or a message about the battery.

Thanks but my Powerextra will be here today. You Gotta Love Amazon Prime same day shipping. So a member of this Forum, maybe it was Kev, was where I heard about Powerextra. The batteries have a higher capacity that the other off brand batteries. The worse part of this whole thing was what it did to my new, just out of Warranty, Dell XPS PC! I could care less about the charger itself.
Actually I quit Prime about 3 years ago, too many problems on their end. I haven't missed them at all, a little patience is a good thing. And I'm certainly not going to pay their new price for membership, that's ridiculous.

Did you check the rated output of the computer's USB and the power draw requirements of the battery? Sounds like a mismatch. USBs are not all created equal. I have charging towers with different rated USBs, you have to know which one to use.

It takes the camera charging inside a couple hours it takes the JJC 24 hrs plus to charge two batteries.
For the price you paid when the likes of the A6000 came onto the market you would have thought Sony would have included a mains charger even if it meant charging:) the customer an extra £20 or so. Russ.
See above. Check the output of the USB. I've never had anything take more than 6 hours for two batteries. I plug my Fitbit into an multi-USB cord and it always tells me it's not charging, not enough power. It takes a while, but since I charge overnight it's no big deal. In the morning it's fully charged and ready to go.

Why not? Why should I support Sony who charges me thousands of dollars for a camera and can't even include a $2 charger?

There is no risk to your camera if you charge in a charger. None. For less than $50 US I can get two batteries and charger. And they work fine. Sony wants $80 per battery and another $100 for the charger. Let's see, $260 or <$50 for the same thing? So far neither my A6000 or A7 IV have given me a problem or a message about the battery.
Maybe you are right, or maybe you got lucky... I've heard stories of malfunctioning third party batteries causing the camera the break down as well. Some third party batteries might also be even better quality than the Sony ones..

Prices are steep for Sony products, but a lot of shops (at least the shop where I bought my camera) was able to give me a good deal on a spare battery and charger, so I paid around half of your estimation.

Maybe the extra price is that I pay for peace of mind, if something happens they cannot blame anything on non-Sony products as you are using only Sony recommended parts. This is just my reasoning for buying the Sony parts.

Maybe you are right, or maybe you got lucky... I've heard stories of malfunctioning third party batteries causing the camera the break down as well. Some third party batteries might also be even better quality than the Sony ones..

Prices are steep for Sony products, but a lot of shops (at least the shop where I bought my camera) was able to give me a good deal on a spare battery and charger, so I paid around half of your estimation.

Maybe the extra price is that I pay for peace of mind, if something happens they cannot blame anything on non-Sony products as you are using only Sony recommended parts. This is just my reasoning for buying the Sony parts.
The two issues that surround aftermarket batteries are: Swelling. If you charge in-camera and it swells, you may not get it out, or it could damage something. I learned that lesson but did indeed get lucky there. Solution: Never charge in-camera. If it swells in the charger, it simply won't go in the battery compartment. The second issue is that some cameras see the aftermarket battery and send a warning message to use a Sony battery. I've never experienced that so I don't know if it reduces capacity or not.

These are the two issues I've heard. If someone knows of something else, please tell us.

BTW, that isn't an estimation, I got the prices from B&H. Prices may be different where you live.

Last edited:
I think Sony only provides chargers with their high-end bodies such as the A7R IV and the A1. They do sell external chargers separately, though, and that seems like the sensible approach when considering charging options for one's new Sony camera.

I think Sony only provides chargers with their high-end bodies such as the A7R IV and the A1. They do sell external chargers separately, though, and that seems like the sensible approach when considering charging options for one's new Sony camera.
Other manufacturers provide chargers with most, if not all of their bodies. Again, these things cost them about $2-3 to make. One shouldn't have to worry about spending $X or more to get what almost every person in the world considers basic equipment. The new OM release included a free battery with a preorder for Pete's sake.

I agree, it is rather chintzy of Sony (or any other manufacturer) to not provide an external charger in the box with all of their cameras. I definitely remember the days when, yes, the box included a printed user manual and an external charger. Eventually the printed manual went the way of the dodo and users are given a brief quick-start leaflet and a URL to access the actual manual, and depending on the camera manufacturer and actual model, there may or may not be an external charger provided in the box. I think Nikon has gone in the direction of providing one only with their high-end cameras, but I'm not sure since now it has been years since I've purchased a new Nikon.

I notice, too, that only the more expensive lenses, particularly the GM ones, seem to get a protective case or pouch, whereas the less expensive ones are provided with none at all. Of course users can purchase various pouches or wraps as accessories, too, but it is nice to have one provided right from the get-go.

Sony A6300 Resources: Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Back