Another moth

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

garuda

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 14, 2020
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
I questioned whether this moth was worth posting, but it was easy pickins' while sitting on my kitchen window sill. The closest I could come for specie ID was Clover Looper, but not sure that's correct.

Interestingly, I noticed the tiny fluffy micro hairs on the trailing edge of this moth’s wings. It reminded me of the wing structure of the stealthy barn owl that flies silently toward its prey. These velvety soft hairs break up the airflow into smaller airflows and the sound is absorbed by the micro fluffy down feather hairs. These serrated micro-fluffy hairlets comb thru the wing’s airflow to dampen the turbulence causing the noise common to airflow vortices — thus enabling the owl's stealthy attacks on their prey. But why would this small moth need stealth (if in fact these trailing wing hairs are designed to dampen sound)?

DSC09441-D-Clover Looper sign.jpg

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Cool observation! Maybe instead of stealth for hunting, its stealth for evasion of predators like bats and birds? That plus their camouflage-like coloring would give them a fighting chance.

Kevriano

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Crawley
The hairs on Moths and Butterflies, including those that you see on the wing fringes, are, much like human body hair, for regulating temperature.
Nice Moth that.

Reactions: FowlersFreeTime

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.