Any Sporting KC regular sports photographers on Alpha Shooters I can ask questions?

Shooter41

Followers
Following
Name
Don Marler
I need to talk to a sports photographer who shoots regularly at home games of Sporting KC at Children's Mercy Park Arena in Kansas City, Kansas. I need to know after it gets dark and the lights come on and the lighting stays constant on 9-26-21; (a) What is the slowest shutter speed I can set my Sony A7R4 on to freeze action with my Sony, FE, F2.8, 70-200mm GM OSS zoom telephoto lens set at F 2.8 and (b) the best ISO setting for an acceptable exposure of players faces looking downward, knowing that the light may vary some in different part of the pitch? (I realize that the ISO is the key to good exposures under the lights, when the lighting is constant and that it is best to push the shutter button when the players are coming toward the camera with their faces up.) I have learned what the perfect settings for indoor soccer at Hartman Arena in Park City, Kansas, where I have shot for the last two years.
This is my first time shooting at a Sporting KC home game in Kansas City, Kansas, and the lighting at their arena is new to me and will take several visits to edit images and figure out. Since this is my 80th birthday present trip, it my be my only visit. Thank you in advance for anyone who shares their experience and photographic knowledge with me.
BENJI GREAT ON DEFENSE TOO-Exposure.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
  • 176.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 5000

Last edited:
Good luck, Don I wish I had some pertinent experience to share but have not ever tried to shoot sports as yet.

Great shot, I think you could have increased your clarity, especially on the right foot by increasing your speed. For me I need at least 1/1000 and prefer 1/1250 or higher light permitting. I am willing to take the increase in ISO and noise over soft images. I think if you look at the ball vs the feet of the kicker you can see it. The ball may not have been moving very fast at that point compared to body movement. Congrats on a great shot.

I need to talk to a sports photographer who shoots regularly at home games of Sporting KC at Children's Mercy Park Arena in Kansas City, Kansas. I need to know after it gets dark and the lights come on and the lighting stays constant on 9-26-21; (a) What is the slowest shutter speed I can set my Sony A7R4 on to freeze action with my Sony, FE, F2.8, 70-200mm GM OSS zoom telephoto lens set at F 2.8 and (b) the best ISO setting for an acceptable exposure of players faces looking downward, knowing that the light may vary some in different part of the pitch? (I realize that the ISO is the key to good exposures under the lights, when the lighting is constant and that it is best to push the shutter button when the players are coming toward the camera with their faces up.) I have learned what the perfect settings for indoor soccer at Hartman Arena in Park City, Kansas, where I have shot for the last two years.
This is my first time shooting at a Sporting KC home game in Kansas City, Kansas, and the lighting at their arena is new to me and will take several visits to edit images and figure out. Since this is my 80th birthday present trip, it my be my only visit. Thank you in advance for anyone who shares their experience and photographic knowledge with me.View attachment 13136
Nice shot.

Back