Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
A while back I read an article about Sony's AF-A but I can't recall which camera they were testing, it may have been an A6000. The reviewer stated that while AF-A worked, it wasn't as accurate as AF-S or AF-C and resulted in soft or OOF shots while the camera tried to identify whether the subject was moving and switched back and forth.

I'm wondering if anyone uses it with good success and with which camera? By 'good success' I mean very, very few soft shots, or...if it's not worth bothering with. As a rule I'll use AF-C, which seems to work well when the subject is static and then starts to move.

Solution
I suspect that few people know the Sony line of cameras as well as Mark Galer. In Mark's eBook for the A7 IV, he makes this notation regarding AF-A:
AF-A.jpg
Per the book on the A7Riv by Friedman. The Sony cameras have improved enough in AF that the need for AF-A is not really needed anymore. As quoted from the book: "Couple that with the fact that AF-C is now uber-reliable (it used to hunt in the old days; now it’s so steady it’s as if you were using AF-S), AF-A is a setting I can safely forget."

I suspect that few people know the Sony line of cameras as well as Mark Galer. In Mark's eBook for the A7 IV, he makes this notation regarding AF-A:
AF-A.jpg

Solution
Back