Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
I come up to a mountain town for 2-3 months each winter - for XC skiing, bird shooting and just being rid of the city.

This year we're in lockdown in response to a second wave of the pandemic and we can go out to recreate and exercise but not to ski. The snow is any case the worst it's been since 1991.

Bird numbers are up though, at least the nectar and seed eaters. Raptors too but not big water birds - the drought and river basin mismanagement have trashed their numbers. It really is extraordinary. I travelled country and outback NSW for 6 weeks and saw not a one Egret, only one White-necked Heron and cormorants I could count on one hand. These are, or were, common birds.

Here's a few from my mountain valley.

Brown Falcon. This is a dark morph. They're pretty relaxed around humans. A9 + 400/2.8 + 2x TC

Brown Falcon dark morph IF (10).jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter
  • 800.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.7
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 1000

Australian White Ibis. Not much of a shot but it shows off it's underwing red patch of skin. A7R III + 400/2.8 + 1.4 TC

Australian White Ibis (1).jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 100

Pacific Black Ducks. A9 + 200-600
Pacific Blacks MT B.jpg

Superb Fairywren, male, in breeding outfit. A9 + 400/2.8 + 2x TC

Superb Fairywren m br (1).jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.7
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 320

Like your Brown Falcon shot a lot as I only seen my 1st a week or so ago but never got a shot as it took off far to quickly.
Up in the Northwest of our state we have got a lot of what you said you didn't see on your travels.
But as this is the river area its no wonder we do have them here.
Keep up you good work as I like what you are posting.

Back