Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
My M4 is ready for pickup since yesterday at Lisbon Sony dealer. Caught me traveling so will only be able to give you my 1st impressions next Tuesday. So expect a fair amount of pre-Christmas deliveries at least in Europe.

Great news although I’m 71st on the waiting list at my dealer so it may be a while for me.
In the meantime, it’ll be great to read your initial reactions

Yeah, just read on Rumors. The 7IV is shipping to Europe and the 70-200 is already shipping to the US.

Maybe I'll get it sooner than expected! Make sure you post some images!

My M4 is ready for pickup since yesterday at Lisbon Sony dealer. Caught me traveling so will only be able to give you my 1st impressions next Tuesday. So expect a fair amount of pre-Christmas deliveries at least in Europe.
Was it earlier than expected? By how much?

Was it earlier than expected? By how much?
The shop kept posting “December 9” as the expected delivery date. The “Your order ready for pickup at our store” eMail arrived Nov26

The shop kept posting “December 9” as the expected delivery date. The “Your order ready for pickup at our store” eMail arrived Nov26
Did they update that then? You previously posted December 17. I've been watching US dealers and so far, there has been no change from Dec 30.

Did they update that then? You previously posted December 17. I've been watching US dealers and so far, there has been no change from Dec 30.
Yes, they kept changing those dates, always for an earlier date. 17, 12, 9, now they post Dec 2nd , probably already for a second batch.

edit: the Dec 2nd if for the kit lens version

edit2: for body only they say Dec12 and “unavailable”

Last edited:
I will say you are talking to someone who is so jealous now. I think this will be my next camera.
Just gotta talk the wife into letting me spend the money now./ From what I have seen of it this will suit me find for what I do.
Though I would much prefer if there was a good camera as this without any video capabilities as I never yep thats right never use that part on them.

Yes, they kept changing those dates, always for an earlier date. 17, 12, 9, now they post Dec 2nd , probably already for a second batch.

edit: the Dec 2nd if for the kit lens version

edit2: for body only they say Dec12 and “unavailable”
We never even discussed lens or no lens at the shop I placed the deposit. There's no way I'm spending $200 more for that lens, I don't want it. Almost the same money gets me an LA-EA5 and the use of over a half dozen lenses that are better glass, even at their age. If they call and tell me that's all they have I'll ask them to pull it from the kit and sell it separately or wait until they have more bodies only. This occurred to me before, but I'm assuming that I'm far enough up the list to get in on the first shipment of bodies.

We never even discussed lens or no lens at the shop I placed the deposit. There's no way I'm spending $200 more for that lens, I don't want it. Almost the same money gets me an LA-EA5 and the use of over a half dozen lenses that are better glass, even at their age. If they call and tell me that's all they have I'll ask them to pull it from the kit and sell it separately or wait until they have more bodies only. This occurred to me before, but I'm assuming that I'm far enough up the list to get in on the first shipment of bodies.
I didn't give any thought to whether my order of no lens would make a difference to my order. After spending thousands on Sony lenses this past year, you would thing that would put me in the first part of the line. OK! I know! I'm dreaming. :mad:

I didn't give any thought to whether my order of no lens would make a difference to my order.
Me either. I called the shop as soon as the online reveal was over. At the time I didn't even know if it would be offered with a lens, and if so, which lens. I may have to back off my stance rather than cut off my nose to spite my face. Worse-case scenario I'll attach it to the used A6000 I'm hoping to obtain from KEH and toss it in my truck.

As promissed, proof of M4 delivery.
Passed by the shop on my way home from the airport. Still in its unsealed/unopened box (was ready to pickup since Nov26).
Because now owning 2 camera bodies both with CF-A slots and not owning a single CF-A card makes no sense, nor would it make to keep using M3's "slow" 150MB/s cards on the M4 - I also picked up one of those, wich will free one of the 128GB 299MB/s cards from the A1 for use on the M4.
And finally, following my own advice of "not wasting my A1 resolution by shooting APS-C mode all the time" (wich I mostly do in my surf sessions due to lack of reach) I also decided to pick up a TC1.4 to pair with my 200-600. Hopefully will not regret it...
Might also have some use for the TC14 with the 135mm f1.8 for indoor sports.
21-11-30 14h44m19s #0004 M.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM (SEL35F14GM)
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 4/10 sec
  • ISO 100

Passed by the shop on my way home from the airport. Still in its unsealed/unopened box (was ready to pickup since Nov26).
Because now owning 2 camera bodies both with CF-A slots and not owning a single CF-A card makes no sense, nor would it make to keep using M3's "slow" 150MB/s cards on the M4 - I also picked up one of those, wich will free one of the 128GB 299MB/s cards from the A1 for use on the M4.
And finally, following my own advice of "not wasting my A1 resolution by shooting APS-C mode all the time" (wich I mostly do in my surf sessions due to lack of reach) I also decided to pick up a TC1.4 to pair with my 200-600. Hopefully will not regret it...
Congrats on the new gear Afonso! Mine just arrived today! :) I do wish the CFexpress cards were cheaper, it doesn't help that only Sony and ProGrade are making them right now.

Just so you know, as of right now I kind of hate you. This will likely continue until mine shows up. Please know it's nothing personal...:ROFLMAO:

Seriously, congrats!

And this is my very first picture taken with the M4: 200-600 + TC1.4 + A1 still (barely) fit in my backpack !
CaptureOne (v21) still does not ingest M4's RAW files (v22 due next week will) so this is a SOOC 33mpx JPEG.
VERY good quality ! I might end up reverting to shooting JPEG more often than before :)
Will give more feedback on the thread Tim opened for that.
200-600+14TC+A1.JPG
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 50mm F1.2 GM
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 640

It doesn't appear at this point the US availability dates will improve. We're about 3 weeks away now and there's been no change.

In Lisbon the M4 with kit lens is available for walk-ins.

New Year in Lisbon anyone ? ....

In Lisbon the M4 with kit lens is available for walk-ins.

New Year in Lisbon anyone ? ....
Some things are better left un-said!

For body only this shop writes “new batch expected dec20”.

I think Sony is prioritizing fullfilling the high-paying EU orders before sending stock to US & Canada, and this is not a new tendency for Sony. I have seen the same happen in the past with M3 & A1.

I saw that yesterday when I checked my BO status. Too bad it's not in time for Christmas but it's still great news.

I checked with BH yesterday to see where they stand pre-order wise. Of course they wouldn't give me a number, nor did I expect them to. They did say, however, that preorders are in the thousands. Given that I think I'll follow my game plan of just waiting until they're in stock. I've poked around and there really isn't anything else I'm interested in. The next closest contenders would be an R III or R IV.

I checked with BH yesterday to see where they stand pre-order wise. Of course they wouldn't give me a number, nor did I expect them to. They did say, however, that preorders are in the thousands. Given that I think I'll follow my game plan of just waiting until they're in stock. I've poked around and there really isn't anything else I'm interested in. The next closest contenders would be an R III or R IV.
MATH: One dealer (like B&H) has backorders for let's say, 2000 cameras. They receive their order. BOOM! $5,000,000 in sales This is just one model of one camera brand.

Congratulations. We're standing by for BIF pictures, before Christmas, of course. :cool:
If I get a good BIF it's because I threw a dead one across the yard.

You don't actually expect me to go outside where it's cold do you? Silly man.

Back