Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
If I were to buy a camera to backup the A7 IV, which would it be? I'm thinking that a good used II, RII, or III would make a nice backup without breaking the bank. I don't need the huge MP of the RIV or the A1. I haven't yet totally discounted an A7 C but am not fond of rangefinder style cameras, so it's at the bottom of the short list.

I don't want to compromise on AF performance any more than I have to. I added Sony to my gear specifically to have a more accurate AF at air shows and the drag races, in other words fast action. The III is high on the list for that reason. After doing some reading, it appears that the AF system in the II series isn't as robust, but for all I know there have been firmware updates that have improved performance.

Thinking about the 7IV as my primary, what would you recommend as my backup, and why? Does AF suffer dropping back to the RII or II? Is the III as good as they say for this type of shooting? Do all of these have AA filters, or was it dropped on the III? AA wouldn't be a deal killer for a used backup, but would prefer none.

Please don't recommend getting an A1, A9II, or A7RIV as a primary and use the A7IV as a backup, that would break it's little heart. :cry:

I guess I solved the problem I didn't know I had. I moved from the A7III to the A7IV and have made no attempt to sell the M3. I love the camera and I wasn't looking for a camera. I read Mark Galer's evaluation of the A7 IV 2 days after it was announced. Normally, when I have to make purchase decisions I tell myself to sleep on it. In this case, I couldn't get to the phone fast enough to call B&H to Pre-Order the M4.

I guess I solved the problem I didn't know I had. I moved from the A7III to the A7IV and have made no attempt to sell the M3. I love the camera and I wasn't looking for a camera. I read Mark Galer's evaluation of the A7 IV 2 days after it was announced. Normally, when I have to make purchase decisions I tell myself to sleep on it. In this case, I couldn't get to the phone fast enough to call B&H to Pre-Order the M4.
It's probably not a problem for you, most people don't find themselves in a position to 'need' a backup. In my case I wouldn't even consider going to the track without a second camera. If it's extra dusty or nasty out I'll mount my favorite lenses for wide and tele on each and just leave them, no lens changing in harsh conditions. If the weather is better I sometimes just leave the second body in the car in case of a failure.

Last edited:
Maybe the A7Riii if you are not planning to use PDAF with apertures smaller than f/8. The EVF is the same as the A7iv and it does not have an AA filter.
My A7iii does not have an AA filter but only because it is a full spectrum converted camera - during the conversion process, the AA filter is removed. I'm now waiting for an OEM hot mirror filter that I can clip over the sensor for those times I want to use the camera as a backup or a backup to the backup camera.

If you want to see how the cameras compare for AF, this BIF test is quite extensive on the subject (even the Panasonic G9 is there). I know you are not using the cameras for BIF but it is a good way to see how the AF worked on fast moving subjects.

Maybe the A7Riii if you are not planning to use PDAF with apertures smaller than f/8. The EVF is the same as the A7iv and it does not have an AA filter.
My A7iii does not have an AA filter but only because it is a full spectrum converted camera - during the conversion process, the AA filter is removed. I'm now waiting for an OEM hot mirror filter that I can clip over the sensor for those times I want to use the camera as a backup or a backup to the backup camera.

If you want to see how the cameras compare for AF, this BIF test is quite extensive on the subject (even the Panasonic G9 is there). I know you are not using the cameras for BIF but it is a good way to see how the AF worked on fast moving subjects.

Wow, that's an extensive article! I was very surprised to see the A7 IV in there since it was such a recent release. Very interesting. I can't figure out why in all of my searches for this kind of information it never came up.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Well, it would appear that my best bet is to talk @Jeff A into sending me his A7 III! :whistle:

Glad to see the first four (in order) are the A1, A9, A9II, and A7 IV.

I scanned the Sony offerings and it looks like a good used A7 III or even another A7 IV would make the most sense. The 7 IV ranked 4th and the 7 III ranked 8th. The R III was way down at #21 and costs more. Not at all surprised to see the G9 at #25, it has one of the most accurate focusing systems in the world...right up until you need to track something that moving fast. It's the reason I bought a Sony. I'm not keen on the AA filter, but if I can get one in good condition for low dollars I'll live with it.

When in late 2019 I was planning to purchase the A7R IV the decision was to trade in all my older gear, which I did, so I was starting over again, but I did keep my beloved RX10 IV and RX100 VII, and used the RX!0 IV as a backup some of the time. I was beginning to consider the idea of buying an A9 for shooting wildlife (mostly birds), and just about then the A9II came along. I was still thinking about this when the A1 was announced and the minute I read the description I knew that it was the camera I wanted. So darned expensive, though.....

In the end I decided not to trade in my wonderful A7R IV, though, and instead kept it as a backup and the two cameras complement each other quite nicely. I mostly use the A7R IV at home, though, for doing macros, closeups and tabletop photography, while the A1 is the one which goes with me outdoors and around the lake and to other places. I haven't done a lot of excursions away from home yet, but when I do both cameras go with me and I put a different type of lens on each so that I don't need to swap out lenses, can quickly grab the camera I need to shoot a particular scene or subject. This works well for me.

Last edited:
After looking at and missing out on a few A7 III's, I found a A7R III in beautiful condition, 2 batteries, charger and 9,500 clicks for $1300 shipped. That's a screaming deal, they still go for $1800-2000 at the resellers.

Back