Gary Finn
Country
Australia
City/State
Coogee Beach
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I’m going to bug you with my Bali trip.

Everything will be hand held. These tiny things. I can’t seem to get an autofocus in closer and I seem to be spinning the focus ring back and forth across the right point.

Should I increase aperture?

GJF00118.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 5000

Cropped

GJF00118.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 5000

Should be no reason why you can't get focus on that mate. Try around f10. Centre focus area. AF-C should still be fine, but sometimes I will flick over to AF-S if it's struggling a bit. As soon as you see it grab the focus point you need to take the shot, I find with macro insects it will focus on and off by the half second or so, so you have to just hit the trigger right on that instance.

Is there a switch on that lens for focus distance at all? All of my macro stuff is handheld as I only shoot live animals, I can basically always get it to focus at minimum focus distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be no reason why you can't get focus on that mate. Try around f10. Centre focus area. AF-C should still be fine, but sometimes I will flick over to AF-S if it's struggling a bit. As soon as you see it grab the focus point you need to take the shot, I find with macro insects it will focus on and off by the half second or so, so you have to just hit the trigger right on that instance.

Is there a switch on that lens for focus distance at all? All of my macro stuff is handheld as I only shoot live animals, I can basically always get it to focus at minimum focus distance.
I think you solved the problem. It appears that I’ve had it set to 0.5m + all day. Little wonder. It has to be the house whisky. This would never have happened at home!!!

A little better. Bigger dragonfly, but 3m away. See if I can get one in flight on the A7iv! 👅

GJF00459.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 125

Back