Sdawes

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Just left its roosting place in a barn and making his way across the farm yard to the hunting grounds beyond
DSC06838-Edit-1.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 4000

Very nice!
A pity about the background. Have you thought of cropping it so that the background is less obtrusive?

Very nice!
A pity about the background. Have you thought of cropping it so that the background is less obtrusive?
Thanks for the feedback , I did not think about cropping as I wanted to capture the bird in that environment as it flew across the farm yard .

Very nice!
I guess a square crop would achieve that, but according to classic photography "rules" isn't this pretty good as is? The bird is in the left third of the photo and flying into frame. I've been watching too many youtube photography tutorials 😅

@Sdawes Steve, its a nice capture! I think you've posted about barn owls before, is this on your property or just one of your favorite spots/subjects?

It does obey the rule of thirds, but the owl is rather small in the frame; I would have cropped it a little.

Another thing you could do with it is convert to mono, which allows you to get this sort of effect:

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 13.41.57.jpg

I guess a square crop would achieve that, but according to classic photography "rules" isn't this pretty good as is? The bird is in the left third of the photo and flying into frame. I've been watching too many youtube photography tutorials 😅

@Sdawes Steve, its a nice capture! I think you've posted about barn owls before, is this on your property or just one of your favorite spots/subjects?
Thanks Chris , Barn Owls are my favourite UK bird and I spend a lot of time photographing at a few locations close to home where i know they exist .

It does obey the rule of thirds, but the owl is rather small in the frame; I would have cropped it a little.

Another thing you could do with it is convert to mono, which allows you to get this sort of effect:

View attachment 15041
Its each to their own Alan but that doesnt do it for me , much prefer the natural shot in the birds environment but thanks again for the feedback , its always good to see and hear others perspective

Its each to their own Alan but that doesnt do it for me , much prefer the natural shot in the birds environment but thanks again for the feedback , its always good to see and hear others perspective
Nothing wrong with a good environmental shot. I don't find the background obtrusive, it gives the image context.

Back