Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
When the A7-IV was released there were discussions about the lack of a charger, whether to get a Sony or aftermarket for those who don't want to charge in-camera, Sony vs. aftermarket batteries, Sony cameras not recognizing aftermarket batteries, number of shots from each, etc. I took the cheap way out and bought a Wasabi set consisting of 2 batteries and a USB charger. This gave me three batteries, one Sony and two Wasabi. Subsequently, I purchased a used A7R-III that came with two Sony batteries, which brought me up to five in total. Since that time I have shot thousands and thousands of photos using both Sony and Wasabi. My conclusion is that there isn't any difference in practical use, or if there is it's so minimal it isn't worth worrying over.

• There is no difference in charge time between the two
  • Any difference in the number of shots is negligible, I've never even noticed it
  • The cameras don't care which battery is installed, no warning messages
  • The cameras' meters are accurate and scale the same using both

To be honest I didn't expect anything different having used Wasabi extensively in other cameras. While I'm sure posts about Sony cameras showing a warning message with aftermarket batteries are accurate, it doesn't seem to exist with either the A7-IV or A7R-III, or maybe the cameras are ok with the Wasabi batteries. Warnings about the battery meter not scaling properly with aftermarket haven't materialized either.

Before anyone posts about the different pin configuration, lack of sensors, swelling, quality, lifespan, or whatever, it is irrelevant if you don't charge in-camera. I would not recommend charging an aftermarket battery in-camera, use a charger only. If the battery were to swell in-camera you'd be screwed, if it were to swell outside the camera it's not a big deal, it just won't go in.

Wasabi is a viable option, moreso when you break the cost down. Sony batteries are $78 each and the single battery charger is another $98 US, from B&H for a total of $254, the Wasabi kit cost me $47.00 and includes a dual charger.

Last edited:
You bet your life. I do not buy into the "You must use camera brand batteries in your camera" mantra. I use branded and eBay and B&H and they all work.

Back