Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
City/State
San Diego
Hello all,

Just wondering what the majority of you all use to travel with your gear?

Currently, using the Zak Noyle x RVCA collaboration but find it a bit bulky a not as sturdy. Looking at the Peak Design.
I only carry an a7iii w/ Tamron 28-75 and the Sony 85, a laptop and notebook.

Manfrotto Redbee for me, loads of room, great padding, quick top access for the camera and nice to look at.

i use a Neewer Camera Case Sling Bag most of the time - it fits my favorite lenses, a handful of batteries, my rain covers and cotton carrier. it has velcro dividers that allow you to set things up the way you like, and the top and bottom are seperated by a velcro divider so you can make it one single section (this allows me to put the 150-600 with MC-11 in still mounted to the body of the camera, which is great)

I have the Peak Design 20L backpack. It's fairly new to me so don't have a ton of feedback yet, but I do like the flexibility of the system and it is fairly easy to slide off one shoulder to extract camera without putting on the ground. It is well made and each aspect feels like someone thought it through, not just threw it on or made a decision driven by price point. They annoy me as a company but their gear is pretty solid.

I have the Peak Design 20L backpack. It's fairly new to me so don't have a ton of feedback yet, but I do like the flexibility of the system and it is fairly easy to slide off one shoulder to extract camera without putting on the ground. It is well made and each aspect feels like someone thought it through, not just threw it on or made a decision driven by price point. They annoy me as a company but their gear is pretty solid.
I have one coming next week from B&H.

I have the LowePro ProTactic BP450 AWII. Needed something to fit the 200-600 and that worked great. Also have a ton of other stuff I throw in there. I especially like the accessory bags on the outside and routinely move on to my belt when I don't need the whole backpack. It'll care a smaller lens and some accessories quite easily.

Just ordered a Tenba 24L Axis. Needed a pack that would accommodate the 200-600 with body attached. Looking forward to putting it to use.

For *travel*, just a small neoprene case (A6400+18-135) thrown in my backpack with a few accessories (batteries, charger), that's it. I don't travel with the 200-600 :)

Like lots of folks, I am always searching for the perfect backpack :D

Right now I'm using the Tenba 24L solstice. I had another one but the chest straps kept detaching. Tenba was great - they sent me a replacement. This was right before covid so I really haven't had a chance to really test it to see if it has same problem.

I also use Moose Peterson MP-7. It's the small bag in the series. I like it because it's easy direct access to separate compartments. I use that for local shoots. It's really not big enough to use for long trips.

A challenge for me was that I wanted a roller bag when I travel because the gear is so heavy to lug thru airports. (I always bag check my regular luggage). But it has to fit in compartment above seat and in a pinch below the seat. My biggest fear is being forced to gate check my gear. So I always carry a folded tote that I could transfer just camera bodies and lenses to put under seat, if I had to.

I have tried several light weight roller bags and here is what I use:

Thinktank Airport advantage - exterior dimensions: 12.7” W x 19.5” H x 7.3” D

Tumi V4 - 4 wheeled brief Exterior dimensions: 16.25"W x 16.25"H x 8"D with padded packs for gear

I used to have the Peakdesign Everyday Backpack 20L V1 that I got during the original Kickstarter launch. However, I just recently changed it to a 30L v2. While I was happy with the camera storage in the 20L V1, the laptop compartment was really, really tight. Due to covid-19, I haven't travelled anywhere since mid Feb, but the laptop section is much easier to use in the 30L V2, not to mention a more convenient layout for the side-flap pockets.

Mine is the Lowepro ProTactic BP 350 AW II. I have also got one of the smaller orange coloured ones but feel that advertises it's contents a bit too readily!

I second Lowepro sling bags, Aw100 in my case. Love the quality and can be got reasonably cheaply used on eBay.

I am currently using the F Stop Ajna ( 40 L ) I usually have one body with a telephoto lens in the middle and a 2nd body with my wide angle lens on the side. It also has enough space for my 200-600 on my Sony A9, but just barely, I think for that reason I'm looking for another bag just a little bigger or I may get the XL ICU ( internal camera units ) and see if I can stuff in into my bag. It is also just the right size to fit into an overhead bin on the plane. I've had my eye on the Shimoda Action x50 pack but have not pulled the triger yet.

Peak Design all the way - perfect as a normal backpack when not carrying photo gear, built for life and lots available used on eBay.

Peak Design 30L .... really happy now that I found a simple way to fit my 200-600 with 6400 attached in it. Just have to be mindful of the zippers on each side to keep everything safely inside.

I agree with that. Never done it but heard some horror stories.

Last edited:
I use a Lowepro ProTactic AW450 II. Holds my 200-600G, 100-400GM, and a couple of small Primes as well as many other things and a water bottle on the outside to boot! The top pocket has a hard shell on it, which just gives an added layer of safety to my camera up there. The two sides open perfectly for the smaller lenses (or a sideways 100-400GM as I've got it setup), and I can adjust how things are on the outside of the pack. I've got my water bottle, a pouch for snacks, and my tripod across the center of the back. I've used this to photograph a whole ton of scenarios, and can't think of anything better! From trackside at NASCAR and drag races, to car shows, to Nature hikes and even to a couple of weddings now, it's never let me down! Also, it fits perfectly in any airplane (under the seat as well as overhead). The only time it doesn't fit up top are those real small CRJs with the sliding doors for luggage.

Everyone likes something different, so take a look and figure out what you want, then invest in a good solid bag to protect your gear! Good luck!

Back