Best Sony Full-Frame Camera for African Wildlife and Video

LandyShooter

Followers
Following
Name
LandyShooter
Hi all,
A simple and slightly innocent question!

I'm looking to head off to Africa again in June for 3-5 months. I'm after the best Sony camera for filming 4K 25-50p video mostly with the Sony 200-600 lens.
I film 100% outdoors, early early morning, all day and into the evenings. Usually 6 days a week. It's for YouTube, and stock footage (hopefully).
The A1 is a bit dated feature wise for the high price imho. In the sense that I'd want it updated with dedicated and highly accurate AF AI chips and a screen like the A7R V.
So I'm looking at the A7R V even though I'm just going to film with it because hopefully the video AF is great. I've used a A6600 (OK) and a A7C (not good) so far and found them frustrating when using AF (branches, grass pick up focus instead of the Lion, animals very slowly walk across the camera focus area and remain blurry etc).

My understanding is that I should actually be looking at the S range rather than the R range for video?
But there seems to be no replacement for the A7S III that we know of with AF AI chips and a cool screen?

So given that, the A7R V would be my best bet that's available now, given its better value and AF for video on African animals, birds, insects ect?

Cheers, Darrin

Yes, but my feeling is that dedicated hardware chips are usually faster/better than a software update.
Plus there is a big price difference... the A1 needs to be better, just less behind or the same...

I have both cameras, even though the A7RV has more eye focus options, I feel like the A1 is faster for things in motion. My A1 usually gets the long lenses and the A7RV gets the short ones. The firmware is supposed to change the camera enough so that we may not see an A1 II until the next Olympics. The A7SIV is rumored to come out this year, should be a great video platform.

Thanks. Are you referring to photos or video please?

Photos for me, understood you are looking more for video, After rereading your post that is why i suggested waiting for an A7SIV.

Thanks for your thoughts.
It seems that the rumours on the A7S 4 are in their early days - no real depth to them. So unlikely to actually be able to buy one in the next 6 months?
I'm travelling in June, and want the new camera for 4-6 weeks prior, so its a case of the R V being much better than the A7C, and the best option out of the current models it seems?

Thanks for your thoughts.
It seems that the rumours on the A7S 4 are in their early days - no real depth to them. So unlikely to actually be able to buy one in the next 6 months?
I'm travelling in June, and want the new camera for 4-6 weeks prior, so its a case of the R V being much better than the A7C, and the best option out of the current models it seems?
It's hard to say. Rumors of an A9III have been circulating for over a year, same with the A1M2. This recent rumor of an A7SIV is the first. Of course knowing Sony, that might mean they'll release it before the others! There's really no way to know. Some people think that advancements in processors/sensors/cooling render the S series unnecessary and Sony will never release another one. The lower resolution video-centric camera isn't as critical as it once was for lower light and overheating, which brings up the next point:

AF is important, but so is heat when shooting video. Any camera heating issues will be exacerbated in hot ambient temperatures. You my want to spend some time exploring video shoot times with the various cameras. Some can only go 1/2 hour or so, others longer. You'll want to look into this aspect and strike a balance between it and AF.

Last edited:
Thanks also for your thoughts...
I'm very conscious of heat, as my cameras are often in direct sunlight that would actually cook an egg if placed on the metal bonnet of my vehicle in which I'm usually filming from.
I wanted to buy the IV instead of the A7C, but its overheating issues put me off. My A6600 and A7C are 'fine and normal' with no major problems in that regard (I usually put a tea towel etc over them to keep the sun directly off them).

I don't usually +record+ for more than 5-6 minutes at a time, usually 1-3. Sometimes I keep the camera on for a long period of time, but not recording until the animal starts to do something. Rarely I'll record for 15-25 minutes at a time.

I plan to record mostly in 4K 50p or 25P. Are there any issues with the A7R V over heating in these circumstances?

I'm very conscious of heat, as my cameras are often in direct sunlight that would actually cook an egg if placed on the metal bonnet of my vehicle in which I'm usually filming from.
I wanted to buy the IV instead of the A7C, but its overheating issues put me off. My A6600 and A7C are 'fine and normal' with no major problems in that regard (I usually put a tea towel etc over them to keep the sun directly off them).

I don't usually +record+ for more than 5-6 minutes at a time, usually 1-3. Sometimes I keep the camera on for a long period of time, but not recording until the animal starts to do something. Rarely I'll record for 15-25 minutes at a time.

I plan to record mostly in 4K 50p or 25P. Are there any issues with the A7R V over heating in these circumstances?
Check this out. Did a search using "A7RV Video Overheating" and this was the first result. It compares the A7RV, A1, A7IV, and the A7SIII. Should be right up your alley. I only watched the first few minutes of it, seems decent enough quality and the presenter is just an average guy, so should be unbiased. Hope this helps!

I have both cameras, even though the A7RV has more eye focus options, I feel like the A1 is faster for things in motion. My A1 usually gets the long lenses and the A7RV gets the short ones. The firmware is supposed to change the camera enough so that we may not see an A1 II until the next Olympics. The A7SIV is rumored to come out this year, should be a great video platform.
I agree that it may be too early to be speaking of the SIV. The gap between the SIII and SII was one of the longest between updates so rushing a SIV out will be surprising in my opinion...

Hi all,
A simple and slightly innocent question!

I'm looking to head off to Africa again in June for 3-5 months. I'm after the best Sony camera for filming 4K 25-50p video mostly with the Sony 200-600 lens.
I film 100% outdoors, early early morning, all day and into the evenings. Usually 6 days a week. It's for YouTube, and stock footage (hopefully).
The A1 is a bit dated feature wise for the high price imho. In the sense that I'd want it updated with dedicated and highly accurate AF AI chips and a screen like the A7R V.
So I'm looking at the A7R V even though I'm just going to film with it because hopefully the video AF is great. I've used a A6600 (OK) and a A7C (not good) so far and found them frustrating when using AF (branches, grass pick up focus instead of the Lion, animals very slowly walk across the camera focus area and remain blurry etc).

My understanding is that I should actually be looking at the S range rather than the R range for video?
But there seems to be no replacement for the A7S III that we know of with AF AI chips and a cool screen?

So given that, the A7R V would be my best bet that's available now, given its better value and AF for video on African animals, birds, insects ect?

Cheers, Darrin
I know you post is on FF cameras for video work but I am going to throw a spanner in the works and ask why not consider the FX30. Yes it comes at the compromise of the 1.6x crop but if you are shooting wildlife with the 200-600mm, a swap to the 100-400mm would effectively give you a similar range, with 1/3 better aperture (5.6 vs 6.3)
If you are keen on the better low light and you want full frame then the FX3 comes in cheaper than the A1. If you have the money for it and want to do video then it's perhaps the way to go...

Here's a video that suggests a couple of ways to avoid overheating issues (battery grip, dummy battery). I've linked directly to relevant sections.

And here's another video where the A1 with battery grip ran continuously until it exhausts both batteries (about 2 hours 45 minutes)

Isn’t the A7Rv a 60+ Mp camera weighted towards stills? You’d want to rent one for a week if you’re thinking of using that for YouTube. The camera conspiracies guy uses an A7s3 and gets wildlife out of focus because he is always trying to use it on manual. He is hilarious. - rent that as well.

This sounds like someone's wishful thinking, not a rumour based in fact.

Maybe there is a firmware update coming - that's certainly possible. But I suspect someone heard there was a firmware update coming and imagined it containing all kinds of exciting things.

The core to the new AF on on the A7RV is an extra chip. You cannot add a chip to a camera by applying a firmware update.

There are some things that could be added in firmware - like the extended bulb timer. There are some things that might be added in firmware - the focus bracketing, for example (I don't think that needs any hardware support to do precise lens movements). But the new AF, no. They might be able to add vehicle recognition. if it's not too tied to the new subject recognition code.

This sounds like someone's wishful thinking, not a rumour based in fact.

Maybe there is a firmware update coming - that's certainly possible. But I suspect someone heard there was a firmware update coming and imagined it containing all kinds of exciting things.

The core to the new AF on on the A7RV is an extra chip. You cannot add a chip to a camera by applying a firmware update.

There are some things that could be added in firmware - like the extended bulb timer. There are some things that might be added in firmware - the focus bracketing, for example (I don't think that needs any hardware support to do precise lens movements). But the new AF, no. They might be able to add vehicle recognition. if it's not too tied to the new subject recognition code.not wishful on my part
Not wishful on my part, i am happy with the camera as is, but rumors are just that rumors, we will see what shows up

Not wishful on my part, i am happy with the camera as is, but rumors are just that rumors, we will see what shows up
Oh, I didn't mean on your part! I've seen some rumours that sound on the verge of credible, but this doesn't. I believe someone heard a rumour of a firmware update, and blew it up into some castle in the sky, then shared their vivid imaginings with the world. It's always the "exciting" rumours that spread the fastest :cool:

I tend to agree with you on this. I have both the A1 and A7R5, while I love the AF and screen on the A7R5 the A1 is still a faster camera. Like you said, long lenses on A1 and short lenses on A7R5.

I know you post is on FF cameras for video work but I am going to throw a spanner in the works and ask why not consider the FX30. Yes it comes at the compromise of the 1.6x crop but if you are shooting wildlife with the 200-600mm, a swap to the 100-400mm would effectively give you a similar range, with 1/3 better aperture (5.6 vs 6.3)
If you are keen on the better low light and you want full frame then the FX3 comes in cheaper than the A1. If you have the money for it and want to do video then it's perhaps the way to go...
Thanks, but no EVF, no use for the camera. 60% of my shots are handheld looking through the EVF...
Plus now we know that AI AF is 'available' which would be so useful if it works on animals and birds that I don't want to buy a camera until it has those in it ;(

Back