Best Lens for Portraits??

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

85mm is great for headshots. For me it is a little long for whole body or group shots. Depends on what you are going for.
The 85mm 1.8 is small, focus quick and is easy to work with. The sony 85mm 1.4 is nicer- but not worth the weight and price differences to me.
I have shot the sigma glass on nikon- beautiful glass- but also bigger and heavier than the sony 1.8.
What ever you get , you will be making compromises.
No bad choices with the glass you are looking at.
Gary

Thanks for the useful topic..
What I have researched, since we can shoot is low light 1.4 vs 1.8 doesn't make much diff..
Zeiss prime 50mm or 85mm prime lens should work great for portraits.

I bought the 85 F1.4GM and it is very good, but my associate bought the 135 F1.8gm and it’s quicker to focus and a fantastic quality image. There’s lots to pick from out there!

Definitely 85 f1.8 for full frame. For apsc people mentioned Sigma 56 f1.4 good lens. I like the sony 50 f1.8 oss also, not as sharp as the Sigma, but often times you don't want that sharpness on people's faces anyway and soften in post, so Sony 50mm f1.8 works great for portraits for me.

I’m looking for the best & most affordable lens I can start with, to master portraits ... thoughts ???? Thank you.
What camera are you using?

My vote also goes to the Sony 85mm 1.8. You said you are starting out and this lens is probably the best bang for buck Sony portrait lens. 85mm is useful on FF and APS-C. If you decide in the future that you want more or less reach then you can spend the big bucks when you are more sure of your needs.

I would really love to see Sony produce a 12-600mm F1.4 :) but even of they could, I probably couldnt afford the $100,000 for it anyway.
I haven`t really delved into prime lenses yet, I use 16-35, 24-70, and 70-200 grand master lenses and have a 14mm F1.8 Sigma art for night photography.
Considering a macro lens but haven`t yet considered the option or lack thereof.

I’m looking for the best & most affordable lens I can start with, to master portraits ... thoughts ???? Thank you.
Which camera and does it need to be autofocus or is manual focus ok?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back