Followers
Following
Name
Ryan
Country
United States
City/State
Minneapolis, MN
I have a young son who is a couple of years into playing hockey. I've started bringing my camera along and am having fun shooting his games and practices. I am relatively new to this. So, I am curious to learn what others do when shooting hockey? What are your camera settings? What are some general tips for holding your camera and following the action? What lens do you recommend? What's your main gear? I am currently using the Sony 70-200mm F2.8 which I love. I'd love to get some tips. I'd also love to see some example hockey photos that you've taken on your Sony camera.

Depending on where the photo holes are in your ice rink, the 70-200 is great and you may want to also bring the 24-70 if you are near the goaltender. If you can find a photo hole about 6 ft or so ahead of the goaltender on the side, that would be awesome because you can shoot face-off and also most of the action in the corners and shots on goal. Behind the goal to the side makes for some interesting shots, but sometimes your view will be blocked by the players fighting over the puck. Also side note - make sure you keep your lens behind the photo hole and don't stick the telephoto through it: I've seen a puck fly right towards the hole and break someone's lens, it was an agency photographer and he was not a happy camper that day. Follow the players rather than the puck. If you follow the puck you will often end up behind the action. Look at where the players go and watch the goalie, that way you can anticipate the action and even catch some good saves. For the slap shots you can turn on the burst and sometimes you catch the stick as it bends, it looks pretty cool. For face-off, focus on the puck drop and it makes for some interesting shots. Best of luck!

Depending on where the photo holes are in your ice rink, the 70-200 is great and you may want to also bring the 24-70 if you are near the goaltender. If you can find a photo hole about 6 ft or so ahead of the goaltender on the side, that would be awesome because you can shoot face-off and also most of the action in the corners and shots on goal. Behind the goal to the side makes for some interesting shots, but sometimes your view will be blocked by the players fighting over the puck. Also side note - make sure you keep your lens behind the photo hole and don't stick the telephoto through it: I've seen a puck fly right towards the hole and break someone's lens, it was an agency photographer and he was not a happy camper that day. Follow the players rather than the puck. If you follow the puck you will often end up behind the action. Look at where the players go and watch the goalie, that way you can anticipate the action and even catch some good saves. For the slap shots you can turn on the burst and sometimes you catch the stick as it bends, it looks pretty cool. For face-off, focus on the puck drop and it makes for some interesting shots. Best of luck!

Thanks! These are great tips.

I'm definitely looking to get the 70-200 for shooting hockey. The only question is whether I can afford it before my son is done playing.

Around here rinks have been slowly upgrading to the LED lighting. It makes a huge difference, even if it does take away some of the natural feel of the barn. I've only shot with my 50mm 1.8. (we use what we have). The challenge I've found is that you need a high shutter speed, a high FOV, and a low ISO and then hope your rink has great lightning.

I've attached a shot I took two years ago. Didn't really take any last year due to conflicts. I recently purchased the 200-600 lens but I don't see that working great for hockey. I found shooting baseball with it to be challenging at times and that was a summer day, outdoors in great light.

My best advice? Learn the game. The sooner you can recognize what is going to happen, the sooner you'll get your camera ready to capture the action. Hockey is full of nuance. For example, in the shot I attached I am looking at the defender's stick on puck more than anything and how that will impact the play. The more you know about the game and the closer you'll find those little things and I those make some great shots.
Hockey Action Sample.jpg

Our rinks are low light. I am thinking of either the Sony 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS or Tamron 28-200 F2.8-5.6 Di RXD or the new Tamron 70-300 F4.5-6.3 DI III RXD. Does anyone have a recommendation for a lens to shoot hockey photos with a Sony a6600?

It's interesting to read about the issues that face other photographers shooting sports that I'll never get to shoot... If I was to get to a game I think I'd just want to savour the atmosphere and watch the match.

Our rinks are low light. I am thinking of either the Sony 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS or Tamron 28-200 F2.8-5.6 Di RXD or the new Tamron 70-300 F4.5-6.3 DI III RXD. Does anyone have a recommendation for a lens to shoot hockey photos with a Sony a6600?

i don't shoot hockey* (but i've read quite a bit about shooting indoor sports over the years), so take this with a grain of salt
sigma is supposed to be coming out with 70-200 2.8s for e-mount, some food for thought. if it is priced anything like the other recent e mount lenses, you could pick it up for ~1k or so most likely.

that said, if i were in your shoes and needed to buy a lens right now, i'd probably pick up the 28-200. it starts pretty wide and fast and seems to be generally pretty well reviewed for quality and it is pretty compact. in fact, i have been thinking about it as a replacement for the 18-135 (of course i'd have to try them side by side)

* the views of this post to not represent the views of this forum, nor are they intended to be interpreted as coherent thought. YMMV, does not constitute legal advice, void where prohibited, known to cause cancer in the state of california.

What camera are you using?
I have a Sony A7III and am now using the Sony FE 2.8 70-200 GM OSS lens. I've shot mostly outdoor sports. My son plays hockey so I am starting to get into shooting that and am just curious as I am a beginner at this. I am also going to be shooting some snow skiing this winter.

I have a Sony a7iii.
I'm not familiar with the a7iii. But for fast-action on my a7R ii and a7R iv, I put AF and EyeAF on a back button and disabled half-shutter button. Continuous mode of course, and button to toggle area Wide, Zone, Ctr, ExFlexSpot. And drive at 10 frames/sec. Those are only a few basics, menu setting changes are too many to list here. I may post a summary diagram of everything later.

I'm not familiar with the a7iii. But for fast-action on my a7R ii and a7R iv, I put AF and EyeAF on a back button and disabled half-shutter button. Continuous mode of course, and button to toggle area Wide, Zone, Ctr, ExFlexSpot. And drive at 10 frames/sec. Those are only a few basics, menu setting changes are too many to list here. I may post a summary diagram of everything later.
I like your suggestions. Thanks for sharing.

Hockey season is getting underway. So, I'll start taking some pictures and I'll share them here.

Hockey season is getting underway. So, I'll start taking some pictures and I'll share them here.
Would be interested to see how it's going. New to this forum but I have a lot of experience shooting basketball and dance recitals which are movement/low-light challenges in and of themselves. Basketball taught me that there's always less light indoors than you think there is. Hockey may be a little different since they're skating on a bright surface which perhaps reflects the ambient light. I would say that I never would have gotten great shots in those subjects were it not for my old Nikkor 70-200/2.8. The aperture, IMO, made a huge difference.

..... my old Nikkor 70-200/2.8.

Michael, please be advised that profanity is not tolerated on this forum. 😁 just joking!

Welcome to the forum, Michael! Hopefully you too will gain some helpful and insightful suggestions from other members on this forum. Do you now shoot with a mirrorless? Which one?

Since you're new here, if you wish, you can visit your profile by clicking your name circle icon in upper rt corner of header title banner at very top of screen --- just to the left of the "+" in Box icon. Then on the drop-down panel, you can click "Signature" and enter/list your cam/lens, etc., in the signature block option. That adds some context to any questions you might ask. We enjoy having you here!

Michael, please be advised that profanity is not tolerated on this forum. 😁 just joking!

Welcome to the forum, Michael! Hopefully you too will gain some helpful and insightful suggestions from other members on this forum. Do you now shoot with a mirrorless? Which one?

Since you're new here, if you wish, you can visit your profile by clicking your name circle icon in upper rt corner of header title banner at very top of screen --- just to the left of the "+" in Box icon. Then on the drop-down panel, you can click "Signature" and enter/list your cam/lens, etc., in the signature block option. That adds some context to any questions you might ask. We enjoy having you here!
Done! Waiting on the A7r3 as we speak

Back