Best replacement foot for Sony 200-600?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

LandyShooter

Followers
Following
Name
LandyShooter
Hi Everybody,

My buying question whilst hovering over the amazon buy button is what is the best replacement foot for Sony 200-600?
Any recommendations with reasoning over other models appreciated - will likely go for the new version of the Leofoto unless there is a clear winner somewhere else?

Why do you want to replace it? I don't use my cameras much on tripods so I'm not tuned in to this. Is there an issue with the original? Is it an comptibility thing?

It will go onto a Arca Swiss head, and I want to lower the overall system as I use a swing arm in a vehicle door, so height is a real issue.
1cm saving helps a lot.

I have the AP-620 from Wimberley. Per the diagram it doesn't appear to save any space. Most of the time I have the foot off just to save the weight but it works with all the non-manfroto ballhead/mounts that I have.

I have the AP-620 from Wimberley. Per the diagram it doesn't appear to save any space. Most of the time I have the foot off just to save the weight but it works with all the non-manfroto ballhead/mounts that I have.
Thanks, amazon review of the Wimberley suggest there is a small amount of play even when the screw is tight?
"Main complaint is the mount. It was not machined to closely match the dimensions of the lens attachment point and there is considerable slop in dimensions between the lens connection and this foot. Even with the bolt attached securely and the set screw tightened it can still rotate slightly with minimal force. The set screw seems like an afterthought and doesn't work well, plus it has exposed threading visible when the unit is off the lens. There is no obvious way to adequately secure a lens to this foot such that it doesn't have some amount of play between the foot and the lens. This could have been solved by machining the mount to be tighter to the lens and then the set screw would be unnecessary. They also should have slotted the mount so that the lens is retained even if the bolt were to loosen slightly."

I bought the AP-620 from Wimberley. I did not have any problems as mention above. It is tight and does not move. Since I also use the foot to carry my lens and camera, it works better than the original Sony piece, since it is a little bit longer. I did not measure the hight but I don’t think it is different at all.
I bought it, since I want to use my tripod more often without the hassle to attach the extra Arca plate.

My foot also does not have any give when attached. The same can be said for the one I have for the 100-400.

I use a Really Right Stuff foot on all three of my long zooms,

Hi Everybody,

My buying question whilst hovering over the amazon buy button is what is the best replacement foot for Sony 200-600?
Any recommendations with reasoning over other models appreciated - will likely go for the new version of the Leofoto unless there is a clear winner somewhere else?
I love my RRS replacement foot because it integrated with a MAGPUL quick release strap attachment. So its a breeze to switch from strap to tripod / monopod.

clown-shoe-407664.jpg

I use the Kirk plate which also makes for a nice grip for carry.
I like using Kirk and RRS plates since they also have the QD-mount.
Sadly many USA companies only offer their products in the USA (population 330+ million) and not in Europe (pop. 740+ million).
So the Kirk product is 100 bucks, plus shipping to Europe of 70 bucks, plus 23% plus duties. So around $250. And no real warranty as the cost of sending it back etc is crazy. They need to find a EU distributer - a common irritation - love to buy many niche products from the USA, but the companies don't provide an easy way to do so...

I have the Leofoto Foot on my 100-400 and really like it. Feels heavy duty and fits better when hand-holding it. I also use the Swiss Arca without any issues whatsoever.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back