Birds Birds Non-BIF Thread - Post Your Shots Here

Tufted ducks sailing in golden reflections in the pond by the Princess of Wales pub, Blackheath.
tuftedduck_pair-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 200

Which of these four images do you prefer?
Given that it was late sunset, light levels were really low, but the colours were lovely. I wanted to get the Tufted duck in the shot as he was placed perfectly amongst the reflections and ripples, but he came out very underexposed. I can recover him in post, but not sure I've done a good enough job. The duck silhouette may be the best option, or perhaps try a bit harder in post? Comments and suggestions welcome.
(a) silhouette duck
(b) heavy post on the duck
(c) slightly less post on the duck
(d) even less post on the duck
(e) try harder on post processing the duck!

Of these, the struggling artist in me says 'silhouette duck' i.e., Option (a), but the photographer/tech person says, 'hardly any postpro duck' i.e., Option (d). Another question, in the heavily post duck (b), there is a halo outline around the duck, how do I avoid that? I'm currently only using LR as I have not yet mastered PS. The way I post processed this image was to put a mask over daffy, which I selected using the brush tool (auto detection didn't work and neither did object tool).

First is option (d), second is option (a), third is option (b) and last is option (c) - don't know why the order gets screwed up when loading multiple images?
tuftedduck_reduceexposure2-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 250
Option (d)

tuftedduck_nomask-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 250

Option (a)

tuftedduck-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 250

Option (b)

tuftedduck_reduceexposure-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 250

Option (c)

Given that it was late sunset, light levels were really low, but the colours were lovely. I wanted to get the Tufted duck in the shot as he was placed perfectly amongst the reflections and ripples, but he came out very underexposed. I can recover him in post, but not sure I've done a good enough job. The duck silhouette may be the best option, or perhaps try a bit harder in post? Comments and suggestions welcome.
(a) silhouette duck
(c) slightly less post on the duck
(d) even less post on the duck
(e) try harder on post processing the duck!

Of these, the struggling artist in me says 'silhouette duck' i.e., Option (a), but the photographer/tech person says, 'hardly any postpro duck' i.e., Option (d). Another question, in the heavily post duck (b), there is a halo outline around the duck, how do I avoid that? I'm currently only using LR as I have not yet mastered PS. The way I post processed this image was to put a mask over daffy, which I selected using the brush tool (auto detection didn't work and neither did object tool).

First is option (d), second is option (a), third is option (b) and last is option (c) - don't know why the order gets screwed up when loading multiple images? View attachment 32168Option (d)

View attachment 32165
Option (a)

View attachment 32166
Option (b)

View attachment 32167
Option (c)
You know there's a forum here for critiquing images? Might be best to post things like this in that forum.

BTW, I like the silhouette duck the best, but I'd clone out that line in the water that leads to its head. It's distracting. The duck's silhouette and it's wake in the smooth water is all you need.

I would also crop the bottom a bit so that the wake lines start right in the corners of the image, which would also move the duck toward the bottom third of the frame. Usually with a live animal/bird/human you want them moving or looking into the frame, not leaving or looking out of it.

Last edited:
You know there's a forum here for critiquing images? Might be best to post things like this in that forum.

BTW, I like the silhouette duck the best, but I'd clone out that line in the water that leads to its head. It's distracting. The duck's silhouette and it's wake in the smooth water is all you need.

I would also crop the bottom a bit so that the wake lines start right in the corners of the image, which would also move the duck toward the bottom third of the frame. Usually with a live animal/bird/human you want them moving or looking into the frame, not leaving or looking out of it.
Thanks Tim, and noted concerning the Critique Lounge. I just assumed that we could get specific themed advice from the folks in the themes of interest, which is why in our profiles we have the option to identify if CC is welcomed. Thanks for your input which is most welcome and helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks Tim, and noted concerning the Critique Lounge. I just assumed that we could get specific themed advice from the folks in the themes of interest, which is why in our profiles we have the option to identify if CC is welcomed. Thanks for our input which is most welcome and helpful.
I think the point of this thread though is to post images for viewing, while the context of the other forum would be better for posting several variations of the same image. Obviously there's no hard and fast rule, but it makes sense to not post multiple versions of the same image a themed thread.

Great White Egret on our most local lake this morning.
DSC08004 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 250

As I was heading toward the exit of a local nature preserve yesterday, a jogger told me he had seen a large woodpecker near the area where a boardwalk was closed. I normally don't go that far up the trail so I decided to take a closer look and sure enough a Pileated Woodpecker flew out of the brush into the trees. I have been trying to get a shot of one of these guys for several weeks so I was glad to finally get a good shot.
JRV02894-ARW.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 2500
JRV02895-ARW.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 2500

Torn here.
(a) silhouette duck
is artsy and all that but
works for me because I want to see the duck, at least enough to see the white flashes on the sides (which I like)

Can't help with above - I'm using Capture One, and my attempts at masking have been hit and miss but better when I use a stylus/pen. I get the impression that Photoshop may be a better tool for this kind of edit, but I don't have PhotoShop (ugh, yet).
- don't know why the order gets screwed up when loading multiple images?
I either:
  • load the images one at a time
    or
  • load them all in, but Insert (click the Insert button on each thumbnail) in the order I want them to appear on the post

Torn here.

is artsy and all that but

works for me because I want to see the duck, at least enough to see the white flashes on the sides (which I like)

Can't help with above - I'm using Capture One, and my attempts at masking have been hit and miss but better when I use a stylus/pen. I get the impression that Photoshop may be a better tool for this kind of edit, but I don't have PhotoShop (ugh, yet).

I either:
  • load the images one at a time
    or
  • load them all in, but Insert (click the Insert button on each thumbnail) in the order I want them to appear on the post
Thanks ST, I'm still torn between (a) and (d). Concerning the load option, I tried both option you suggested, but for some reason the images changed order each time. The first time I tried your first suggeted option, and the files were switched, then I tried the second option, and the files were switched. So, not sure what is going on.

ok so a little robin that visits now and then he stands on one leg since he injured it a couple of months ago, I am quit happy with this one given its shot at 12800 iso on the a9
robin 15.1.23 (7).jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 12800

ok so a little robin that visits now and then he stands on one leg since he injured it a couple of months ago, I am quit happy with this one given its shot at 12800 iso on the a9View attachment 32402
Wow, really nice for 12800. If you hadn't said anything I don't think anyone would've suspected.

I think you need to put on a processing clinic!

Great shot. Unusal looking bird, what is it?

It's a type of Egret this beast! Amazing to watch these water birds in action as they go one hundred miles an hour under and above the water grabbing food like crazy. Then they stand up on a log and spread their wings out and dry off in the sun. This is what I want to be in my next life, either that or Paris Hilton's dog... 😀

This one was beside this black and white guy, I haven't seen these blue ones and it looked even more amazing with the lighting, just a pity about the shore reflection interfering with it's head here but I thought I'd post it up just so people understand how gorgeous these things look!

View attachment 32412

Wow, really nice for 12800. If you hadn't said anything I don't think anyone would've suspected.

I think you need to put on a processing clinic!
Thanks Tim I have been working on high iso with the a9 and 200-600 and seem to be making some in roads

It's a type of Egret this beast! Amazing to watch these water birds in action as they go one hundred miles an hour under and above the water grabbing food like crazy. Then they stand up on a log and spread their wings out and dry off in the sun. This is what I want to be in my next life, either that or Paris Hilton's dog... 😀

This one was beside this black and white guy, I haven't seen these blue ones and it looked even more amazing with the lighting, just a pity about the shore reflection interfering with it's head here but I thought I'd post it up just so people understand how gorgeous these things look!

View attachment 32412
A Heron? I would've guessed some sort of Cormorant. Do you know which one? Around here all I see is the Great Blue and the Green.

A Heron? I would've guessed some sort of Cormorant. Do you know which one? Around here all I see is the Great Blue and the Green.

They're all egrets to me. I might start putting some effort into knowing what I'm taking photos of one day... 🤪

They're all egrets to me. I might start putting some effort into knowing what I'm taking photos of one day... 🤪
I mean Egret. Again, I see the Snowy and the Great Egret when I'm out and about.

Maybe someone will chime in.

I know it ain't a Heron, they're quite a gracious bird really, very gentle with their movements. Egrets are the opposite of gracious, they're bloody bulldozers! 😄

My sister became a birder a few years ago. She hikes in the mountains and goes on treks to faraway places to see birds she hasn't seen. One day she commented on one of my photos.

"That's a lifer."

I made the mistake of asking what she meant. Her explanation was much longer than appears below.

A birding life list is typically a list of all the species that a person has seen over their lifetime. Birders describe adding a new species to their list as seeing a new 'lifer'. For example, after a recent birding trip, a birder may say: “I saw 5 new lifers on my trip to Madera Canyon, Arizona last week.”Sep 9, 2019

What Is A Birding Life List | Birda​

https://birda.org › Uncover birdwatching tips & advice

My sister became a birder a few years ago. She hikes in the mountains and goes on treks to faraway places to see birds she hasn't seen. One day she commented on one of my photos.

"That's a lifer."

I made the mistake of asking what she meant. Her explanation was much longer than appears below.

Yes it's always painful listening to someone justify their herd mentality. Could just say 'I seen five birds I haven't seen before', and all parties would know exactly what it means.

The other week we were searching through these shrubs for wrens when a lady walked past and said 'oh you must be twitchers'. No we're just people who like looking at and taking photos of birds, no need to associate us with anything other than that...

Back