Birds Birds Non-BIF Thread - Post Your Shots Here

Wings.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 12800

Two of the first group birds from my trip to Puerto Rico. Orange-Fronted Parakeet:
A1_01371-DN.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 560.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 800

Venezuelan Troupial
A1_01434_1-DN.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM)
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 200

Blue tit from 2022
bluetit 2023.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 1250
bluetit 2023 1.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 1250

Heif format ~ Clear Image Zoom at 2x - just after sunset.....
GJF01996.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 85mm F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 400

Now, these furry fellas (this one is female) fly around at night.... again HEIF at 2x Clear Image Zoom.

I can tidy it up with AI by removing the motion blur, as I was trying to pan with it as it flew overhead... but these fellas are effectively black and this frame was almost shot in the dark, which I doubt I could do without using a prime. (no crop)

GJF00314-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 85mm F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 400

Last edited:
Swoop the Swooper.
Magpies have developed a bit of a reputation for swooping on anyone riding a pushbike, skateboard, and the like and people defend themselves by wearing helmets with all sorts of distractions, to avoid being hit.

Well, my friends, this Willy Wagtail was very keen to move one along from the crowded beach. Persistent little fella.

Clear Image Zoom was used at 2x, just for the heck of it.

GJF03089.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 85mm F1.8
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 125

More HEIF/Clear Image Zoom photos, this time with the A74/200-600.

Slight crop for composition
DSC09479a by telecast, on Flickr

Cropped for composition
DSC09484 by telecast, on Flickr

Uncropped
DSC09491 by telecast, on Flickr

Cropped for composition
DSC09496 by telecast, on Flickr

Uncropped
DSC09502 by telecast, on Flickr

Uncropped
DSC09504 by telecast, on Flickr

Uncropped. This is Mrs. House Finch
DSC09507 by telecast, on Flickr

Slight crop for composition
DSC09518 by telecast, on Flickr

There’s no downside to Clear Image Zoom in those shots!

Next minute, the 200-600 with 2x Tele, in crop mode with Clear Image Zoom? 😂

I’ve noticed that in AF-C centre focus prevails, so I’ve started to use the lens focus hold button for calm subjects. My miss rate for flying subjects has been high, but I think that’s down to my panning skills.

Also, this morning I left Clear Image Zoom in the “on” position as I expected that shooting in Wide would degrade the image. I saw no difference, which is promising because I can leave the setting on with camera defaulting to Heif, then using Galor’s PAL workflow for raw format.

It would be nice to be able to program a button to toggle M1,M2,M3 and M4, so I can recall heif format memory settings too.

Gaz

There’s no downside to Clear Image Zoom in those shots!

Next minute, the 200-600 with 2x Tele, in crop mode with Clear Image Zoom? 😂

I’ve noticed that in AF-C centre focus prevails, so I’ve started to use the lens focus hold button for calm subjects. My miss rate for flying subjects has been high, but I think that’s down to my panning skills.

Also, this morning I left Clear Image Zoom in the “on” position as I expected that shooting in Wide would degrade the image. I saw no difference, which is promising because I can leave the setting on with camera defaulting to Heif, then using Galor’s PAL workflow for raw format.

It would be nice to be able to program a button to toggle M1,M2,M3 and M4, so I can recall heif format memory settings too.

Gaz
Thanks. To be honest, I was going to get a 1.4TC, but now I see no reason. As near as I can tell there is no loss of light with this feature like there is with a TC. f/6.3 remains f/6.3. More magnification is going to hit the point of diminishing returns. I couldn't possibly use any more magnification from my backyard hide, and too much reach just results in atmospheric interference anyway. For what little I need this much FL I can put my money elsewhere.

Swoop the Swooper.
Magpies have developed a bit of a reputation for swooping on anyone riding a pushbike, skateboard, and the like and people defend themselves by wearing helmets with all sorts of distractions, to avoid being hit.

Well, my friends, this Willy Wagtail was very keen to move one along from the crowded beach. Persistent little fella.

Clear Image Zoom was used at 2x, just for the heck of it.

View attachment 34629

My favourite bird is the Willy Wagtail! These things are bloody ferocious, they ain't scared of nothing. Best noises too, they do that clicking thing and the horn, awesome weird little birds, I love 'em! 😄

My favourite bird is the Willy Wagtail! These things are bloody ferocious, they ain't scared of nothing. Best noises too, they do that clicking thing and the horn, awesome weird little birds, I love 'em! 😄
I gave up trying to photograph the pair that hang out down there as they’re too quick for me. Then I’m filming this magpie thinking that’s unusual… next second the Willy wagtail is swooping and diving, clipping the Maggie in the back of the head. I’ve got two nearly clear images, and a dozen out of focus ones. I was not there for action shots!!

The custodians of the land say never to talk in front of a Willy wagtail or else they’ll blab all your secrets in that song of theirs.

I gave up trying to photograph the pair that hang out down there as they’re too quick for me. Then I’m filming this magpie thinking that’s unusual… next second the Willy wagtail is swooping and diving, clipping the Maggie in the back of the head. I’ve got two nearly clear images, and a dozen out of focus ones. I was not there for action shots!!

The custodians of the land say never to talk in front of a Willy wagtail or else they’ll blab all your secrets in that song of theirs.

I have two good ones of these. One with a cock roach in his mouth and the other was from last week in this thread where he was standing on the steel hand rail. The only time they really stop in good positions is when they're concentrating on food. This one from last week was at The Entrance where all the boys were fishing along that side walk way. The Willy was casually hopping around the area waiting for stuff from them so he was pretty calm and out in the opening, hopping around on the path and hand rails etc. Other than that they chill out in the strawy type trees where the lighting isn't good enough to light up their monochrome body properly and the background looks like crap anyway. Plus it needs to be earlier or later light to hit them from the side to light up their white underneath. And either my photography skills or A7RIII isn't good enough to catch their erratic flying decently, but I do like to blame the camera...

They also sit on the North side of the main lake at Centennial Park Lands in the shrubbery with the wrens, sometimes they jump up on top to allow a nice background in the image.

A Dabchick or Little Grebe recently.
DSC09040 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 320

Male Eastern Bluebird at a feeder.

JRV08158.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 640

Wood Duck?

Not a Wood Duck. Looks like a Pacific Black Duck according to Google and the Merlin app. Here's a shot of a pair of Wood Ducks.

JRV07857-ARW.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 500

birdwood.JPG
  • ILCE-9
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 400

One of my favorites that I've taken. I really liked the focus depths of everything and the detail (except for the car being just barely visible in the top left)

One of my favorites that I've taken. I really liked the focus depths of everything and the detail (except for the car being just barely visible in the top left)
Seems you have the space to adjust the crop or could clone it out or adjust the coloring to that area to reduce the color brightness

Also use:
For phone: https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/
For PC: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/merlin/id# - about halfway down you will see "Try Merlin Bird ID"
The app is cool! I’ve started logging my birds. One, in Vancouver, was a gigantic seagull. We don’t have anything like it in Australia, so the app had no photos. I guess I’ve got to download the whole database! 😃

C41034FF-C88B-425B-A068-9427805B8E69.jpeg
  • iPhone 6s Plus
  • iPhone 6s Plus back camera 4.15mm f/2.2
  • 4.2 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/285 sec
  • ISO 25

The app is cool! I’ve started logging my birds. One, in Vancouver, was a gigantic seagull. We don’t have anything like it in Australia, so the app had no photos. I guess I’ve got to download the whole database! 😃
You will need to get the local bird packs for areas.
I am pretty sure that is a Glaucous-winged Gull based on the feet. Could be a Herring Gull. Both are common to the area and both are among the mostly white with grey wing area and a red spot on the bill.

Back