Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Does anyone shoot video or stills with a black pro-mist or similar cinebloom style filter? I'm wondering (a) if its worth the hype for video and (b) is it worth using it for stills?

Hi. I'm using NiSi filters and black mist that I find very often on my lenses is 1/4 one. It really smooth out that sharp look of digital image and gives it a nice like "glow". It's still very in focus and not soft image or video. But it's, how to explain, more warm like feeling look?

Hi. I'm using NiSi filters and black mist that I find very often on my lenses is 1/4 one. It really smooth out that sharp look of digital image and gives it a nice like "glow". It's still very in focus and not soft image or video. But it's, how to explain, more warm like feeling look?
Thank you for responding! I might purchase one of these filters in the near future.

For what lens, Chris?

For what lens, Chris?
I would probably get a 67 or 72mm so I could step down to any of my lenses. However, at the time I originally posted this, I was going to put it on my Tamron 17-70 for capturing scenes at Grandma's 90th birthday a few weeks ago.

I had never heard of these Black Pro Mist filters so it was fascinating to learn more about them and the ways they can be used (primarily for cinematography/videography but also for stills as well), and why one would want to use them. I can see how they would be especially useful for shooting portraits, as they'd have the potential for producing more flattering results.

If you get one, it'll be interesting to see the images you shoot with it!

If I'm looking for an effect I will use the Cinebloom 10% and Hollywood Black Magic 1/4 filters. These shots were close up shots with reflections on a window and a curtain on the other side - the details of the curtain look good but the blooming and halation of the highlights are definitely affected. For stills, I think I'm more comfortable using post processing methods over the filters but for video maybe.
Reference shot without filter:
Filter Nonec1v1.jpg
  • ILCE-7SM3
  • E 35-150mm F2.0-F2.8 A058
  • 36.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1250

Cinebloom 10% filter:
Filter Cinebloom 10c1v1.jpg
  • ILCE-7SM3
  • 37.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1600

HBM 1/4 filter:
Filter HBM One Quarterc1v1.jpg
  • ILCE-7SM3
  • 37.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1600

If I'm looking for an effect I will use the Cinebloom 10% and Hollywood Black Magic 1/4 filters. These shots were close up shots with reflections on a window and a curtain on the other side - the details of the curtain look good but the blooming and halation of the highlights are definitely affected. For stills, I think I'm more comfortable using post processing methods over the filters but for video maybe.
Reference shot without filter:
View attachment 14876

Cinebloom 10% filter:
View attachment 14874

HBM 1/4 filter:
View attachment 14875
Thank you for the actual comparison shots!
I like the effect of the halation (is that the right word?) around the lights, but surprised at the amount of bloom on the window pane. It seems like the overall image is softer, but not in an "out-of focus" way, hard to put into words so the examples above are really great. I can see how this would be a very specific effect for filmmaking.

Might be fun at Christmas time, but otherwise, I don't think this is a "must have" for my camera bag at the moment.

Back