Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
City/State
San Diego
What personal blog websites do you guys use, if you do, to publish your work.

For the new year I plan to write more and I would just like to have a space to blog and attach a photo or two to what I write. Thank you.

Wordpress is of course the default choice... But just because of it, it's also less secure (bigger target for attacks when it's widely used), more complex (as it keeps growing non stop), and depending on your way of doing things, some times slower; although you can have stuff up and running real quick, if you're anything close to a tinkerer, you'll end up tweaking and learning a thousand things.

I was really, REALLY looking forward to using Koken when it came out, but since it's been abandoned for a while now, it's not a flexible or secure option.

So I guess my point is... I'm subscribing to this question! Looking forward to see new alternatives.

My blog here uses WordPress.org (self-hosted).

With the new block editor it's easier than ever to create content without knowing any code. You'll just want to make sure that you use a theme that is well coded. I can recommend the Mai Theme from BizBudding that is block based and very fast, the developer is also very helpful.

With self-hosting you just want to make sure you pick a good web host. I'm not up to date on which are the best hosts right now as I'm using a dedicated server which someone manages for me. I've used LiquidWeb in the past without any issues, not a fan of GoDaddy or Bluehost.

Or you can use WordPress.com and then they host the site for you to save you the trouble.

I'm sure there are many other options as well like SquareSpace, but I've not looked into any of them in great detail.

My blog here uses WordPress.org (self-hosted).

With the new block editor it's easier than ever to create content without knowing any code. You'll just want to make sure that you use a theme that is well coded. I can recommend the Mai Theme from BizBudding that is block based and very fast, the developer is also very helpful.

With self-hosting you just want to make sure you pick a good web host. I'm not up to date on which are the best hosts right now as I'm using a dedicated server which someone manages for me. I've used LiquidWeb in the past without any issues, not a fan of GoDaddy or Bluehost.

Or you can use WordPress.com and then they host the site for you to save you the trouble.

I'm sure there are many other options as well like SquareSpace, but I've not looked into any of them in great detail.
If you have the know how, the most flexible option will be to run it on your machine... I currently have a Google Cloud Compute Virtual Machine on Ubuntu hosting my personal site. There's even a free tier, which means you could actually have free hosting! Low tier machine, of course... and it did ask me to upgrade to a more powerful machine, which is BS because I know the specs on the free one are more than enough.

So! I might actually host my site on the server I'm currently running at home, inside my office's closet. Old laptop with bad screen, running headless Ubuntu. No static IP, but I did setup a reverse proxy and cloudflare's DNS constantly updating. Not really the same as having the same IP all the time, but for an individual's professional site, it does the job.

But well... you see how that rabbit hole goes...

Back