Sony A6000 Blurred edges 16-50 lens

texas2020

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Lyle Teska
I have been using my Sony alpha 6000 for years with no issues. On my latest vacation, all 1000+ pictures are blurred on the left side (about 20% of the frame). Wow, what happened? I am shooting in RAW, 9x16, standard 16-50 lens. Any ideas before I go out and buy a Canon?

Attachments

• DSC03107.JPG
    DSC03107.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC03206.JPG
    DSC03206.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC03393.JPG
    DSC03393.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 67
You've gotten years out of your trusty A6000, then once the poor old girl is at the end of her innings you want to jump ship? A bit harsh. She's served you well by the sound of it, I'd think that would be incentive to stick with Sony.

You're probably right though. There's no way any M50 owner in the whole world would have ever come across this issue. Canon have a 100 year guarantee... ✅

Does it happen with other lenses equipped? If yes, its the sensor, if not then it's the lens.

If you're going to buy a new camera and never venture into a plethora of available lenses (manufacturer or third party) , then yes, buy a Canon R10. I'd stick with Sony, especially after getting so many years of service from an entry level camera.

Come on guys, he's frustrated. I get it. If I had just returned from vacation and all of my photos were ******, I'd be hot too.

Something appears to be out of alignment. Did it get dropped or take a hard hit?

First, look at the lens and the mount. Does everything appear to be in order? Any cracks? Anything bent? Does it mount and dismount easily? Next, do as Chris suggests and try a different lens. If that solves it, ok.

If it's not the mount, then maybe the sensor. Could be that something came loose. Once you've exhausted the lens and mount possibilities, I'd start talking to a repair center or do as you say and look for a new camera.

Good luck in any event. If you do decide to switch brands, check lens selection before you dive in. Canon and Nikon are both fairly limited on their mirrorless lenses. Sony has the best aside from Micro Four Thirds.

Thanks for all the replies. So I took photos in my backyard. 16-50, still blurred. Using my 55-210 lens, ok. So I guess it's the lens. This was the lens that came with the camera, any recommendations for getting a replacement lens? I've been looking online, some very expensive options.

Thanks for all the replies. So I took photos in my backyard. 16-50, still blurred. Using my 55-210 lens, ok. So I guess it's the lens. This was the lens that came with the camera, any recommendations for getting a replacement lens? I've been looking online, some very expensive options.
I'll let @FowlersFreeTime respond, he's the APS-C guy. If memory serves there's a really nice Tamron out there that isn't too bad.

I'm sorry about your vacation photos, and apologies for the snark in my first response.
If the 16-50 served you well, the best all-around travel lens I have used is the Sony 18-135mm, but its not particularly bright indoors. It was sold as a kit lens in later a6xxx packages, so maybe you will find a deal on a used one on keh.com or mbp.com.

A better upgrade would be the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 or Tamron 17-70mm f2.8. The Sigma is less expensive, but not cheap, and does not have optical lens stabilization, but it IS a very compact lens as you would be more used to. The Tamron is as big as a can of stewed tomatoes and about as heavy LOL, BUT the pictures and the convenience are really worth the heft, plus it has VC (vibration compensation) which is their version of OSS.

Thanks again for your help. I will look into these lenses as well as the websites. As for my pictures, just doing more cropping than usual, but all good in the end. :cool:
That's good to hear, there's nothing worse than finding out something went wrong after you upload, and there's nothing you can do about it. Good for you!

Back