Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I have a question for the community: If you think about cooking videos, how often do you expect "top-down" camera angles?
In my videos, the closest to this I usually go is to setup the tripod and angle the camera down to see the prep surface. Here's a recent video I uploaded and you can skip to 1:20 mark to see the angle I mentioned (though if you want to watch the whole video, that is certainly appreciated!).

The top-down angle favored by channels like Tasty or Buzzfeed, look like this:
box=615x0

I am assuming the top-down approach requires a c-stand and a clamp to achieve the right angle (pun intended), but I don't know if its worth the additional expense at this time.
Thoughts?

Actually, Mike you may be right about MacGyver-ing something using parts online. I have this light fixture over my kitchen island that may be useful in this endeavor.
20210126_081549.jpg

Maybe I can build something to hook onto that... perhaps a monopod with ball head, secured in place with a plate and a few hooks?

Wow, that is one darn good-lookin kitchen! I'm envious since I too like cooking, sometimes exotic gourmet meals, though my faves are Chinese or Japanese stir-fry, soups, noodles, etc.

I notice you have overhang edges on island and maybe on sink-counter; as you know, there are a variety of clamps and arm-screwing platforms you can construct. The a64 isn't all that heavy anyway. I'd play with it and see what you can come up with.

Last edited:
Wow, that is one darn good-lookin kitchen! I'm envious since I too like cooking, sometimes exotic gourmet meals, though my faves are Chinese or Japanese stir-fry, soups, noodles, etc.

I notice you have overhang edges on island and maybe on sink-counter; as you know, there are a variety of clamps and arm-screwing platforms you can construct. The a64 isn't all that heavy anyway. I'd play with it and see what you can come up with.
Thanks Mike, it was a big selling point of the house when we purchased 8 yrs ago (I think former owner must have loved cooking too!).
The clamp setup is an interesting idea, it would certainly give me more options than hanging a monopod upside-down from the light fixture. Thanks!

What do we think of that ^ desk clamped camera mount for the top-down filming solution? Is it worth the money ($115), or should I just go with a cheaper option like this one ($27):

Chris, the first (more $) one is much better by far. I have the cheaper one. It's not sturdy enough for cams. Spring loaded can be bouncy. There's no comparison in my op.

My only concern is if countertop has enough lip to support clamping assembly.

Chris, the first (more $) one is much better by far. I have the cheaper one. It's not sturdy enough for cams. Spring loaded can be bouncy. There's no comparison in my op.

My only concern is if countertop has enough lip to support clamping assembly.
Sharp as always Mike!
I'll skip the spring loaded mount.
Regarding the heavier clamped mount, I hadn't thought about it before now, so I went to go measure:
- one side (where under counter drawers open) has barely over an inch to clamp to
- other side has a 2 inch overhang, which should be enough.
Thanks for the input.

Chris, I was in a hurry when first responding to your post, and didn't really analyze the specs. But now I see that articulating arms reach only 22 inches above the mounting bracket. That's not very long for shooting straight down. Remember, unless food/bowel/etc is near the mount bracket, arm will be tilted w some loss of height. Don't know how wide your lenses are, but may want to hand-hold cam to simulate using clamp assembly - just to how much elevation you'll need.

Of course, since you're MacGyver's brother, I'm sure you could improvise to get more length and reach by adding tubes. But remember, the ad states load weight limit at 3.5 lbs.

I would suggest considering light stands; taller height, longer reach, heavier loads, etc. Try an Amazon search for "Light stands". I found this one fairly cheap but functional, I think. There are all kinds of adapters/attachments for mounting cam to end rod.

Light stand

Light stand#2

Last edited:
Heh, I'm no Macgyver, but I used to own a swiss army knife or two. No I think I will be saving up for the right, ready-built solution.
Check out this clever bit of kit:
A bit pricey, but its designed only to do the one thing I actually want to do, so its tempting.

Wow! Nice find! I love it. It's perfect for what you're doing. Doubt you'll be disappointed. In fact, like it so much, I'm going to build one. They are easy to make, and I've made several superstructures very similar before, built for holding large gimbals.

Last edited:
Back