Cause of FE 70-300mm SEL70300G F4.5-5.6 G OSS Degradation

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

alexjieh

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Leonard McDonald
I am new to the group but have been a Sony shooter since 2016. Thanks for welcoming me to the group.

I am baffled by a recent observation (described below) and hope that someone here can help.

Has anyone seen partial fogging of a Sony (FE 70-300mm SEL70300G F4.5-5.6 G OSS) lens presumably caused by the degradation of the material holding the glass in place? See photos.

I purchased this lens in 2017 and started noticing the front group's partial clouding only in 2022. I am wondering if this is fixable or do I need to replace the lens.

The left photo is a cell phone shot, while the others were taken with a macro lens using a ring light. The fogging starts at the glass interface with the surrounding material. I don't know if it's only the coating involved. I appreciate any help/advice forum members can provide.

Attachments

• Sony_FE_70-300mm_SEL70300G F4.5-5.6G_OSS_Lens_SERIAL#1821498-1.jpg
    Sony_FE_70-300mm_SEL70300G F4.5-5.6G_OSS_Lens_SERIAL#1821498-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Sony_FE_70-300mm_SEL70300G F4.5-5.6G_OSS_Lens_SERIAL#1821498-2.jpg
    Sony_FE_70-300mm_SEL70300G F4.5-5.6G_OSS_Lens_SERIAL#1821498-2.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Sony_FE_70-300mm_SEL70300G F4.5-5.6G_OSS_Lens_SERIAL#1821498-3.jpg
    Sony_FE_70-300mm_SEL70300G F4.5-5.6G_OSS_Lens_SERIAL#1821498-3.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 30
In the first shot (of the whole lens), the right side of the glass appears to have a scuffed section with scratches. Did you drop or scrape the lens at one point? If so, the impact may also contribute to the fogging? (I am not saying it definitely did, just throwing out possibilities).

Lens repair can also be expensive, if it is even possible. I know because I recently dropped my Nikon 24-70 f2.8 (I use both Nikon and Sony). It looks fine on outside and seems to work fine but internally something got out of alignment and now the bottom right corner is not sharp. I currently have it in for repair and it is going to cost $660.

In the first shot (of the whole lens), the right side of the glass appears to have a scuffed section with scratches. Did you drop or scrape the lens at one point? If so, the impact may also contribute to the fogging? (I am not saying it definitely did, just throwing out possibilities).

Lens repair can also be expensive, if it is even possible. I know because I recently dropped my Nikon 24-70 f2.8 (I use both Nikon and Sony). It looks fine on outside and seems to work fine but internally something got out of alignment and now the bottom right corner is not sharp. I currently have it in for repair and it is going to cost $660.
Thanks for your feedback.

I am unsure how to proceed without knowing if this can be fixed or is worth fixing (automated estimated for looking at it is US$473). The scratches don't interfere with the images, but the deposit does. I have not dropped the lens but am not extremely gentle with it either. The vapor-like deposit seem to be from some kind of chemical reaction. I am unsure how such a reaction could have been initiated.

Thanks again for your feedback.

I am fortunate to have a really good (and honest) camera repair shop in my city. Is there one within driving distance of where you are? If you can talk to a repair shop directly, that is best. If not maybe find one that works via shipping and see if they will let you email these images so they can give you an idea if repair is even feasible. If it's a lens you are happy with and the estimate is around your automated estimate, then I would think it would be worth it. However this is also a good time to evaluate if it is meeting all your needs or if, for example, you often fall short and a lens that goes to 400mm would serve you better. If you are going to change lenses, now is the time.

I believe they call that delamination. I don't know that a repair shop can do the work unless they can get new element groups from Sony, which in the current supply chain situation may be difficult.

KEH has one in EC with caps etc. for $850-ish, and they come with a 180 day warranty. It may be the better option since you're already near $500 just to get started with the repair, and you can get it now. MPB gets them from time to time, but it looks like they're currently out.

Here's a link to KEH, I wouldn't wait too long to decide, tings move fast over there.

I believe they call that delamination. I don't know that a repair shop can do the work unless they can get new element groups from Sony, which in the current supply chain situation may be difficult.

KEH has one in EC with caps etc. for $850-ish, and they come with a 180 day warranty. It may be the better option since you're already near $500 just to get started with the repair, and you can get it now. MPB gets them from time to time, but it looks like they're currently out.

Here's a link to KEH, I wouldn't wait too long to decide, tings move fast over there.

Thanks so much for your response. I think a new lens is in my future as the repair cost will add up fast with no guarantee of success.

Thanks so much for your response. I think a new lens is in my future as the repair cost will add up fast with no guarantee of success.
I see my link now takes you to a lens in 'Like New minus' condition for $917, that's better yet. I buy quite a bit from KEH and can tell you their grading process is extremely conservative. I have purchased old A-Mount Minolta lenses that were in 'bargain' condition that look and perform as new. I would buy that lens without hesitation.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back