Charging

Andrew C

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Do you charge the battery in camera? or use a separate charger?
I'm interested in pros/cons and peoples reasons.

Also if you use an external one - do you stick with the official Sony charger or go for a third party one such at Nitecore?

Thanks - I wasn't asking about Third Party batteries though. Just whether people prefer to charge sony batteries externally or not. I also understand that third party chargers don't have an issue - but wanted to find out if people used them.

I ask because to charge my camera means sitting on the corner of my desk where it's a bit vulnerable. Also the camera only shows charging or not - nothing about how charged it is, battery condition etc.

I always charge mine in the charger as I can then use the camera with another battery in.

I have a Sony charger that has never been used. I just turn the camera upside down to charge because of the crappy doors on the A7RIII. There's an automatic charge shut off which activates quite some time after fully charged, but if that concerns you just unplug and switch the camera on to see battery level a couple of times throughout.

With five batteries to charge, I can't use the camera. Plus, I simply prefer a dual charger.

I use the Sony charger to charge my A7iv batteries. But switching batteries on a shoot is just not something I face as I'm almost always using the VG-C4EM Vertical Grip.

Bought a JJC dual charger from Amazon, does take a while to charge two batteries at once but does the job during the hours of darkness:). Russ.

I never charge in camera except in extreme emergencies and use my grip and/or carry extra charged batteries for the field as most seem to do.

For charging i use the Hahnel ProCube 2 which is a dual charger and find it very reliable and functional. It has a LED illuminated read out of the % charging status of each battery from initial insertion to fully charged status...its also useful to check battery levels on those occasions when having inadvertantly mixed charged batteries with used.

For charging i use the Hahnel ProCube 2 which is a dual charger and find it very reliable and functional. It has a LED illuminated read out of the % charging status of each battery from initial insertion to fully charged status...its also useful to check battery levels on those occasions when having inadvertantly mixed charged batteries with used.
Thanks for the reply - I hadn't heard of this charger and it looks very interesting.

I use the Sony charger to charge my A7iv batteries. But switching batteries on a shoot is just not something I face as I'm almost always using the VG-C4EM Vertical Grip.
I have never seen the advantage of the added size and weight of a battery grip when a battery can be changed in literally seconds and fits in your pocket. The only time it makes sense to me is if you're a portrait photographer and shoot a lot in vertical. I can be out along the track for hours at a time holding a camera, so lighter and smaller wins the day.

Back