circular polarizer filter for sony a7iv+tamron 17-28 mm lens

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

NOLA1998

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Bin Shan
hello, could anyone recommend a circular polarizer filter for sony a7iv+tamron 17-28 mm lens, lens diameter 67 mm, thanks!

The most expensive one you can afford. Most filters are created fairly equal from price point to price point. That is to say, there won't be much difference between $20 filters across companies. The difference from a $20 filter to a $60 filter though will be substantial, but again $60 across companies will be similar.

It's best to try to not put anything in front of a lens. Why spend $1,000 on a lens and then put a cheap piece of glass (or worse yet plastic) in front of it? I refuse to use UV or Sky filters and prefer to use the hood for protection. I do have a few polarizers and NDs, but rarely use them.

Some folks may have a preference for brand and I'm sure they'll chime in. For me, it's about price. Check B&H photo and see which ones are rated highest in the price point you can afford.

BTW, that's a fantastic lens. My first real outing with it was the Detroit Autorama, very pleased with the results. Album link below.

Agree with above - spend what you can for a good one. With a wide angle lens like your 17-28, you need a thin mount filter to avoid vignetting. The issue is that the lip is so thin they are hard to unscrew and get stuck easily. For this reason I find I also need a filter wrench. I had the cheap plastic one but it broke just from being in my bag so I found a heavy duty metal one on Ebay. (However it only fits 77mm and 82mm filters; not sure if they make it to fit your 67mm).

Thank Mr. FotoFool and Brownie, I will look into the $60-100 range, that fits my budget.

Some data ...

With large UV filters the two glass discs have to be parallel and of even thickness to a high degree.

On UWA lenses a UV filter will normally give you an uneven blue sky.

Last edited:
hello, could anyone recommend a circular polarizer filter for sony a7iv+tamron 17-28 mm lens, lens diameter 67 mm, thanks!
Hi
I have BW and LEE. They are great. Recently I try filters from Urth and I am impressed. The advantage is that they are much much less expensive and good quality ( the top level of their range)

@Ziggy quoted an article from LensRentals (who are fantastic - accurate, unbiased, and humorous). However, that article was about UV filters and this thread is about circular polarizing filters. It still may be useful since we are talking about filters, but this LensRentals article on polarizers may be more relevant: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/10/my-last-circular-polarizer-post/
He links an earlier article he wrote comparing more expensive polarizers (worth a read) and in this one he compares two of the cheapest. His bottom line is that they all do a good job, the results are almost indistinguishable, but the cheaper ones transmit less light. In other words, you will have to use a slower shutter speed or higher ISO with a cheap (uncoated) polarizer.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back