_DSC8193.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 400

Very nice.

Nice photo. Thanks for sharing. Also known as the Hummingbird Moth. I just snapped a couple photos of this guy yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC08912.jpeg
    DSC08912.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC08913.jpeg
    DSC08913.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 32
So lucky, thats a bucket list photo for me, I've never seen one before. Great shot!

So lucky, thats a bucket list photo for me, I've never seen one before. Great shot!
Look for them hidden amongst the butterflies when you see a large group. I have found that where the butterflies are so are the moths. I am fortunate that I live near several large wildlife areas. This particular capture was from East Fork State Park/Harsha Lake Lake US Army Corp of Engineer dam. There is a great area on the spillway where I can find and access them.

Well my main field for butterflies at the local state park is currently being disrupted due to a water line leak. It is currently being dug up....

Have you tried Muscatatuck lately. I would bet is busting with opportunity!

I captured mine at my parents house near some wooded area. The flower is called a Butterfly Bush and, as the name suggests, is very good at attracting butterflies. If you have a garden, I’d recommend planting some of these. They provide some good photo opportunities as well as being an attractive flower.

Have you tried Muscatatuck lately. I would bet is busting with opportunity!
Well I really do mean to go there sometime but having to drive to Seymour for work I just can't bring myself to do it on my days off.... I need to go though. I finally shot an indigo bunting there, but it was blurry and then it flew away.

_DSC0037.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • 518.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 800

_DSC0556.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400

Darn you!!!! I went out to Muscatatuck Wildlife Refuge today. I didn't have luck with hummingbird moths, but I did finally get some good shots of a Indigo Bunting....

What kind of flowers are you finding the hummingbird moths on? Is that Joe Pye weed?

Darn you!!!! I went out to Muscatatuck Wildlife Refuge today. I didn't have luck with hummingbird moths, but I did finally get some good shots of a Indigo Bunting....

What kind of flowers are you finding the hummingbird moths on? Is that Joe Pye weed?
The flower that is in the most recent image is Verbena. There is a local landscape company with a fantastic demonstration garden on display in front of their office. On weekends no one thinks to stop there to look at the huge number of butterflies, bees and moths that are feeding. I counted at least 6 different hummingbird moths this weekend within 10 minutes.

The flower that is in the most recent image is Verbena. There is a local landscape company with a fantastic demonstration garden on display in front of their office. On weekends no one thinks to stop there to look at the huge number of butterflies, bees and moths that are feeding. I counted at least 6 different hummingbird moths this weekend within 10 minutes.
If you don't mind me asking, what is the landscape company. My husband and I are going to Hocking Hills in September. I might have to include a detour, even though most likely it would be a weekday.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the landscape company. My husband and I are going to Hocking Hills in September. I might have to include a detour, even though most likely it would be a weekday.
Wimburg Landscaping 1354 US Route 50. https://www.wimberglandscaping.com/

Enjoy Hocking Hills! I served as a naturalist for ODNR in the early 90's and led several walks there. I was assigned to Lake Hope State Park which is nearby. One of the most beautiful places in Ohio!

Lucky you! That would be an awesome job! I've never been, so we are looking forward to it.

Back