Confirmed: Sony will announce a new camera in March! And it’s not going to be the A9III or A7cII…

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan

but still something “important”​

Could this be the long-awaited new APS-C, the A7000? An APS-C in a full-size body? Will it feature an increase in resolution? All of the focus features of the A7RV?

This could be pretty cool!

Other copycat rumor sites are claiming the new A9III or A7cII will be announced in February. From what I heard both cameras will NOT be announced in February. What I can definitely say us that a NEW camera will be announced in March and this will not be a new A9III or A7cII but something else!

I currently know of two “different” cameras, both coming in 2023…as soon as I know which one is coming in March I will post the info on my youtube channel and on my Instagram account. Stay tuned!

Could also be like that tilt-pan thing that they did. I hope it is an APS-C for those using them. Whatever it is I am sure it will be interesting but most likely something not for me. Not saying that would make it bad.

While I WANT it to be the a7000, I am also not getting my hopes up.
That said... the FX-30 gave us APSC-lovers the new sensor we've been waiting on, so we only need Sony to put it in a still-photography (or hybrid) focused camera body and there you go: a6700 (or a7000 since new sensor?). I'm going to be really disappointed if they don't give it good IBIS and try to "make do" with electronic stabilization only. I am saving for a new flagship APSC camera, like the a6600 was to the previous series, if its half-baked, I'll hold on to my a6400.

I can see a full-size APS-C with 30-36MP sensor to compete directly with Fuji. Stick a stacked sensor in it and the RV's focus features and you'd have a monster. IBIS and shutter speed could surpass anything Sony has in FF due to size, the question is, would they allow that or would they dumb it down?

When they designed the A7RV, they were designing this at the same time. I'd bet same body with fewer features, but not stripped.

Could a camera like that pull casual users from FF? I think it could. I'd carry one as a second instead of my A7RIII. 30+ MP with a 900mm FF EQ? Shut up and take my money!

but still something “important”​

Could this be the long-awaited new APS-C, the A7000? An APS-C in a full-size body? Will it feature an increase in resolution? All of the focus features of the A7RV?

This could be pretty cool!

Very interesting, and I won't be surprised if it is a Canon R7 competitor, which will interest me greatly.

I can see a full-size APS-C with 30-36MP sensor to compete directly with Fuji. Stick a stacked sensor in it and the RV's focus features and you'd have a monster. IBIS and shutter speed could surpass anything Sony has in FF due to size, the question is, would they allow that or would they dumb it down?

When they designed the A7RV, they were designing this at the same time. I'd bet same body with fewer features, but not stripped.

Could a camera like that pull casual users from FF? I think it could. I'd carry one as a second instead of my A7RIII. 30+ MP with a 900mm FF EQ? Shut up and take my money!
Nah, Sony won't do anything to cannibalize FF sales, they are a very shrewd business in that regard: segmentation galore and little overlap. Sony's APSC offerings, since the introduction of the a6100 and ZVE-10, have been more about appeasing the budget-minded YouTube generation and not about true innovation. Even the FX-30 smells like "eh, this will be good enough for the APSC users"

Nah, Sony won't do anything to cannibalize FF sales, they are a very shrewd business in that regard: segmentation galore and little overlap. Sony's APSC offerings, since the introduction of the a6100 and ZVE-10, have been more about appeasing the budget-minded YouTube generation and not about true innovation. Even the FX-30 smells like "eh, this will be good enough for the APSC users"
True, but the FF frame wars are at full tilt while APS-C sets languishing. Besides a few meager offerings from the obvious players, only Fuji is all-in. Even M-4/3 is getting more airplay these days. Sony doesn't much care from whence cometh the money, as long as it comes. If they see a chance to gain an advantage in the format they will. Look at how they supplanted Nikon in the #2 position and held first place in mirrorless sales for years.

Very interesting, and I won't be surprised if it is a Canon R7 competitor, which will interest me greatly.
That's what I'm thinking. A super fast APS-C in the 30MP range.

True, but the FF frame wars are at full tilt while APS-C sets languishing. Besides a few meager offerings from the obvious players, only Fuji is all-in. Even M-4/3 is getting more airplay these days. Sony doesn't much care from whence cometh the money, as long as it comes. If they see a chance to gain an advantage in the format they will. Look at how they supplanted Nikon in the #2 position and held first place in mirrorless sales for years.
Hey if it happens, I'm all in. I'll put my money where my mouth is... though Mrs. Fowler might make me wait till Christmas 😅

I also sense a trend with some APSC owners on the AlphaShooters Facebook group: if Sony continues to deny APSC some genuine innovation, there will be some who would begrudgingly upgrade to an A7CII or A7IV. From a business point of view, that sounds deliberate to me, and worth the risk of a minority of disgruntled owners jumping to Canon R7 or Fuji XT-5.

Hey if it happens, I'm all in. I'll put my money where my mouth is... though Mrs. Fowler might make me wait till Christmas 😅

I also sense a trend with some APSC owners on the AlphaShooters Facebook group: if Sony continues to deny APSC some genuine innovation, there will be some who would begrudgingly upgrade to an A7CII or A7IV. From a business point of view, that sounds deliberate to me, and worth the risk of a minority of disgruntled owners jumping to Canon R7 or Fuji XT-5.
Right, but it doesn't consider the other side of the coin, which is drawing new users from Canon and Fuji. I think all camera companies would like to see their crop sensor users move to FF, but that doesn't mean they don't want new users.

In other news, my A6000 has been coopted by my son. I've bought more lenses for him to use than I have for me!

Right, but it doesn't consider the other side of the coin, which is drawing new users from Canon and Fuji. I think all camera companies would like to see their crop sensor users move to FF, but that doesn't mean they don't want new users.
I moved from Fujifilm APSC to Sony full frame back in January 2020 and out of sheer frustration with Sony in January 2022 I added Fujifilm back to my system for a more enjoyable Fujifilm/Sony ecosystem. Too many times for that two-year hiatus I would say, "Why can't Sony do what I had for years with my Fujifilm cameras?". And yes, there are times where I say, "Why can't Fujifilm do what I had for years with my Sony cameras?" :)

In other news, my A6000 has been coopted by my son. I've bought more lenses for him to use than I have for me!
Fair point!

I moved from Fujifilm APSC to Sony full frame back in January 2020 and out of sheer frustration with Sony in January 2022 I added Fujifilm back to my system for a more enjoyable Fujifilm/Sony ecosystem. Too many times for that two-year hiatus I would say, "Why can't Sony do what I had for years with my Fujifilm cameras?". And yes, there are times where I say, "Why can't Fujifilm do what I had for years with my Sony cameras?" :)
I actually like the ergonomics of the Xt3 I tried, I wish Sony would give us APSC owners the additional dials at index finger tip and thumb that are standard on the Fuji. The a6xxx menu wheel beside the viewscreen is not made for quick changes in manual mode. Its as if they decided for APSC users that semi-manual (aperture/shutter priority) is good enough and the body is too small for full manual controls...

I actually like the ergonomics of the Xt3 I tried, I wish Sony would give us APSC owners the additional dials at index finger tip and thumb that are standard on the Fuji. The a6xxx menu wheel beside the viewscreen is not made for quick changes in manual mode. Its as if they decided for APSC users that semi-manual (aperture/shutter priority) is good enough and the body is too small for full manual controls...
I can see why people look at Fujifilm cameras and question how useful they are though. A camera store salesman told me that they could not see how they would manage with the limited shutter speeds. I pointed out that you can move the shutter speed dial to T and use one of the control dials which gives you a metered shutter speed from 900 seconds (yes, seconds) to 1/32,000 and you can select half or third stop increments. It was the X-T3 that taught me to never want to use my A1 at 30 fps because that is one of the abilities of the X-T3. Guess that is one advantage of the X-H2 series for marketing since it is a PSAM design. I really enjoy using my X-H2s (and no way will I use it at 40 fps :p ). The ergo of the X-H2 series like the X-H1 have the best ergo for me, love using those cameras just for the comfort of usage.

My guess is that maybe Sony will be presenting for the first time a Medium Format camera......they've got the sensors, after all, they've got more than the wherewithal to compete with Fuji.... Fuji's so-called "Medium Format" cameras (which really are NOT genuine MF cameras bodies) . As anyone can see by looking at the specs, what Fuji is offering, at least in their lower-range ones, when it comes to megapixels and such is what Sony already gives us Sony users in its excellent A7R FF 35mm series.

Someone on another site has a Fujifilm MF camera, the one with 50 or so MP (I forget what that body is actually called) and because she is someone who is slow and methodical about her shooting, only shots in manual all the way (including manual focus) it doesn't matter a whole lot to her that the camera is not as responsive as it really could and should be. She also sticks a bunch of cheap adapted 35mm lenses on it, too, which I find really ridiculous. People do weird things,, though....

What's the point, though, of having a so-called Medium Format camera and then using 35mm (with an adapter to boot) lenses on it?

Last edited:
My guess is that maybe Sony will be presenting for the first time a Medium Format camera......they've got the sensors, after all, they've got more than the wherewithal to compete with Fuji.... Fuji's so-called "Medium Format" cameras (which really are NOT genuine MF cameras bodies) . As anyone can see by looking at the specs, what Fuji is offering, at least in their lower-range ones, when it comes to megapixels and such is what Sony already gives us Sony users in its excellent A7R series.

Someone on another site has a Fujifilm MF camera, the one with 50 or so MP (I forget what that body is actually called) and because she is someone who is slow and methodical about her shooting, only shots in manual all the way (including manual focus) it doesn't matter a whole lot to her that the camera is not as responsive as it really could and should be. She also sticks a bunch of cheap adapted 35mm lenses on it, too, which I find really ridiculous. People do weird things,, though....

What's the point, though, of having a so-called Medium Format camera and then using 35mm (with an adapter to boot) lenses on it?
With regard to MF, they are hellish expensive and have limited commercial appeal. Pentax have (had?) one, it's mega money and the lenses are insanely expensive. I really can't see Sony bothering. They are losing ground in the low end markets.

My dream camera. X-T5 body/control interface. Optional battery grip. A1 II guts (50mp stacked sensor, AI trained autofocus) FE Mount lens ecosystem with XF lens adapter. ❤️

I have to admit, I would be tempted by a Sony MF camera if it had the appropriate configuration and at least a couple of nice native MF lenses to go with it....unfortunately, though, that kind of setup probably would be priced right out of my modest budget, though!

It would be cool if the current GM lenses could cover a 44x33 sensor. An FE mount 44x33 would be awesome!

I had hoped the Lumix S would use 36x27 four-thirds super format 😄 ah well, I'll dream on..

It would be cool if the current GM lenses could cover a 44x33 sensor. An FE mount 44x33 would be awesome!
I don't know if that's possible. Sony's E mount was first designed for their APS-C cameras in 2010, and it was later adapted to FF when the A7 was released in 2013. I recall reading somewhere that the mount is constraining for full frame but Sony is stuck with it until they obsolete the mount. I cannot attest to the accuracy of that statement, just recounting it.

UPDATE:

Today at 15:00 London time I (he) will post the Rumor about the next new Sony camera coming in March!​

From the article:

OOOO! The plot thickens!

so, not a mark-II on any existing model. :unsure:
An a7000 would narrowly meet that definition if it uses the new sensor from the FX-30 and has new chipset.
Or something out of left field that we're not expecting (or caring about), remember when they made a big deal about the PTZ camera?

I watched it. Supposedly it's a new FF fixed lens camera. ☹️

Yeah, he referenced it, but this is a Z prefix, so a 'whole new camera'. SMH.

Yeah, he referenced it, but this is a Z prefix, so a 'whole new camera'. SMH.
"Z" doesn't inspire confidence to me.
ZV-1 (small sensor, but kinda nice features for a point and shoot)
ZV-1F (no bueno)
ZV-E10 (basically an a6400 with active steady shot, but without weather sealing)

I wonder if they are going after the market segment who wants a Ricoh GRIII or Fuji x100v?

"Z" doesn't inspire confidence to me.
ZV-1 (small sensor, but kinda nice features for a point and shoot)
ZV-1F (no bueno)
ZV-E10 (basically an a6400 with active steady shot, but without weather sealing)

I wonder if they are going after the market segment who wants a Ricoh GRIII or Fuji x100v?
They way he explained it, more toward vloggers.

But you have to remember that this is still a rumor, and the camera won't be officially announced until March. He didn't sound too optimistic about an A9III in the first part of the year. He also mentioned a third camera, but made note that it wouldn't be one that excites us.

Early on in his preliminary lead up he baited Sony about their crappy firmware releases, stating that everyone else does it better by adding features to their cameras instead of just fixing things. He was a bit on the A1. He said if they don't change that thinking they'll start losing people to Canon/Nikon etc.

I don't know if that's possible. Sony's E mount was first designed for their APS-C cameras in 2010, and it was later adapted to FF when the A7 was released in 2013. I recall reading somewhere that the mount is constraining for full frame but Sony is stuck with it until they obsolete the mount. I cannot attest to the accuracy of that statement, just recounting it.

I’m afraid that is probably right. Before I shot Sony I recall reading some anti-Sony rhetoric about the mount being too small for fast glass etc.
Tell that to my 50GM 1.2 :D

Some vintage 35mm glass actually fully covers the GFX sensor even with adaptors so perhaps there’s a glimmer of hope but not holding my breath.

They way he explained it, more toward vloggers.

But you have to remember that this is still a rumor, and the camera won't be officially announced until March. He didn't sound too optimistic about an A9III in the first part of the year. He also mentioned a third camera, but made note that it wouldn't be one that excites us.

Early on in his preliminary lead up he baited Sony about their crappy firmware releases, stating that everyone else does it better by adding features to their cameras instead of just fixing things. He was a bit on the A1. He said if they don't change that thinking they'll start losing people to Canon/Nikon etc.
So I know we have very few video fans out there on this forum, but the ZVE1 looks like its shaping up to be a vlogger flavor of the A7SIII in an A7C body. Not sure if its going to be fixed lens or interchangeable lens, I'd expect the latter. Sony Alpha Rumors says expect an official announcement on March 29th.

Back