Sony A7R IV Deleting images question

snafu

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Thomas Prossima
I have the camera setup to record RAW on slot 1 and JPG on slot 2.
When I want to delete all of the stored images I go to Playback1 and select Delete - All images with this date.
When I do that only the RAW images are deleted. I even tried going to Camera1, page 4 and change Select Media to Slot2 and again try the delete method.
But that doesn't work.
How can I bulk delete all of the JPGs on Slot2?

(I want to keep my settings file on the SD card, so I would rather avoid doing a format)

Last edited:
Using delete instead of format is a bad idea - you will find quite a lot on the subject if you google it. Formatting is very much the preferred way to clear the card.

I would recommend having a small SD card for your settings, and load it when you want to load or save them.

Thanks for the tip. I guess having a dedicated cheap SD card to hold the settings is a good workaround.

When I shoot a bunch of images, I put the memory card into the card reader and download them into the computer. Then I review the images and edit any that I'm going to edit. I return the memory card to the camera and format the card, which clears it of all the images that were on it and it is then ready for me to go out shooting again with an empty card.

When out in the field actually shooting, even though I might realize that, oops, I really screwed up that image or I pressed the shutter button at the wrong time, I still do not delete while the card is still in the camera. That can cause problems and screw up the sequencing, etc. I just move on and only when I have the image file in the computer and can properly see the images -- the LCD screen really is not large enough for a proper assessment of an image -- do I decide whether or not that image is worth processing. Sometimes I use Photo Mechanic to run through and delete any images that I know I'm not going to edit anyway, culling out the baddies before ever getting to the editing part of the process, but a lot of times I don't bother with that. The bottom line, though, is that I never, ever, delete anything in-camera, even when it's something really obvious. I just wait until I'm ready to handle the entire card's worth of images -- outside of the card -- and then simply format the card to start it fresh again.

Well, I'm not sure what kind of bad Voodoo is going to happen to me but I don't format the card when deleting. When I return from a shoot, I pull the card from the camera and put it in a card reader and make copies of them on my Hard Drive or delete then there.

I do have memorized setups on my SD cards and don't want to delete them, even though I have backups. I have been doing this long before I became a Sony owner. So, what am I risking?

Well, I'm not sure what kind of bad Voodoo is going to happen to me but I don't format the card when deleting. When I return from a shoot, I pull the card from the camera and put it in a card reader and make copies of them on my Hard Drive or delete then there.

I do have memorized setups on my SD cards and don't want to delete them, even though I have backups. I have been doing this long before I became a Sony owner. So, what am I risking?
Yeah, that was how I did it before switching over to Sony (Nikon D800). There was never any worry about corrupting a card by deleting files either on or off the camera.

Back