Followers
Following
Name
Zé Fontes
Country
Portugal
City/State
Porto
For my understanding, the main purpose of extension tubes is to reduce the minimum focal distance of a given lens.
Given the example of the E PZ 16-50mm, the E 18-135 and the E 70-350 G, is it possible to achieve a 1:1 magnification ratio in any of them? If so, is any of these lens capable of achieving better results?

Interesting!

So in the example of the 70-350mm, which my research tells that has a maximum magnification of 0.23, if I add 2 extension tubes (26mm) it calculates the new magnification to 0.3, so a 1:3 ratio at the minimum focal distance. Is that right?

Depending on your goals you might find this site helpful:

Also bear in mind that with longer lenses adding a macro diopter lens onto your existing lens (Such as a Raynox DCR-150 OR DCR-250) will give far larger magnification without losing stops of light. See this calculator:

Using your 70-350 you should get roughly .6x - 2.3x with the dcr-150 based on your zoom setting and focus. (70mm gives the lowest magnification) Your working distance would be around 18-20cm.

Depending on your goals you might find this site helpful:

Also bear in mind that with longer lenses adding a macro diopter lens onto your existing lens (Such as a Raynox DCR-150 OR DCR-250) will give far larger magnification without losing stops of light. See this calculator:

Using your 70-350 you should get roughly .6x - 2.3x with the dcr-150 based on your zoom setting and focus. (70mm gives the lowest magnification) Your working distance would be around 18-20cm.
Thanks!
That's clearer

Back