Do you buy Used?

roxannebcb

Followers
Following
Name
Roxanne Basey
Do you purchase used lenses? I found a Sony 24-105 mm for $625 on ebay from a person not a business. She says it is in excellent shape with pics and box. Should I buy it???
Roxanne

All the time, but I try to stick with KEH, Usedphotopro, or MPB. They are reputable and provide warranties. When I do buy from eBay it's usually something less expensive. I have purchased lenses from CL as well, but I take the body and test it. There are so many things that can be wrong, from scratches to coatings to dust and fungus, not to mention the functional aspect of the lens or physical condition. I'm sure there are thousands of successful transactions for used camera lenses on eBay, but I won't take the chance.

I can't really say if you should buy it or not. The used price on that lens is typically higher, so one would wonder why so little?

Last edited:
Generally, no. I've bought from KEH in the past, though.

I have in the past, and have sold plenty. As long as it's obviously been well looked after you can get a bargain. I always check grey import prices for new first though, as I often find it cheaper.

You have to be extremely caution on eBay or other platforms if not a well know website like the ones mentioned above. I had attempted to purchase a 600mm on eBay long story short Never got the lens but I got my money back after it being on hold for nearly 6 months while eBay and Paypal investigated the issue.

Roxanne, if you can wait it would probably be worthwhile to sign up for KEH emails and watch for a sale. I recently purchased a Samyang 35mm 1.4 from them. This lens sells new for $800. They have a bunch from Samyang, factory reconditioned and in Like New condition with all original packing and accessories. The lenses include a 1-year warranty from both Samyang and KEH. They were having a 20% off sale, mine ended up being $350.

The first one that came had marks on it and a dent in the barrel. I contacted them, they apologized for it getting through. They sent a return label, I sent the lens back, and they sent me another no questions asked. They even put a note on the shipper for the second one to be inspected to make sure it was indeed 'like new'. The second one is perfect.

They have an extremely conservative rating system. I once purchased a lens in 'ugly' condition for $14 that is perfect. No marks, no dust, no fungus. I still have it. They admitted the first Samyang fell through the cracks.

Here's a link to their current page with the 24-105 offerings. No sales right now, but the 180 day warranty is always included.

Roxanne, if you can wait it would probably be worthwhile to sign up for KEH emails and watch for a sale. I recently purchased a Samyang 35mm 1.4 from them. This lens sells new for $800. They have a bunch from Samyang, factory reconditioned and in Like New condition with all original packing and accessories. The lenses include a 1-year warranty from both Samyang and KEH. They were having a 20% off sale, mine ended up being $350.

The first one that came had marks on it and a dent in the barrel. I contacted them, they apologized for it getting through. They sent a return label, I sent the lens back, and they sent me another no questions asked. They even put a note on the shipper for the second one to be inspected to make sure it was indeed 'like new'. The second one is perfect.

They have an extremely conservative rating system. I once purchased a lens in 'ugly' condition for $14 that is perfect. No marks, no dust, no fungus. I still have it. They admitted the first Samyang fell through the cracks.

Here's a link to their current page with the 24-105 offerings. No sales right now, but the 180 day warranty is always included.

Thank you for this info. So many lenses on my wish list.

I have in the past, and have sold plenty. As long as it's obviously been well looked after you can get a bargain. I always check grey import prices for new first though, as I often find it cheaper.
Just this month I ordered a used lens from Amazon Warehouse but upon close inspection I found an impact mark on the front element of the lens (looks exactly like a chip in a windshield). Returned the lens, checked the grey market, and got a new lens for the same price as the used lens at Amazon.
I also check the local camera store for used gear and try to purchase from them whenever possible.

Just this month I ordered a used lens from Amazon Warehouse but upon close inspection I found an impact mark on the front element of the lens (looks exactly like a chip in a windshield). Returned the lens, checked the grey market, and got a new lens for the same price as the used lens at Amazon.
I also check the local camera store for used gear and try to purchase from them whenever possible.
Yep, this is why I use Grey Imports. Here in the UK especially we get clobbered so much for tax. I bought a brand new 90mm Sony Macro and a Tamron 24mm 2.8 on import for less than the cost of the Macro alone in our stores. Given that they both have the same 1 year warranty it's a no brainer for me.

Yep, this is why I use Grey Imports. Here in the UK especially we get clobbered so much for tax. I bought a brand new 90mm Sony Macro and a Tamron 24mm 2.8 on import for less than the cost of the Macro alone in our stores. Given that they both have the same 1 year warranty it's a no brainer for me.
I thought the drawback to grey market was no warranty? How does that work? I recommended a lens to someone on here a week or so ago not realizing is was grey market, so I rescinded. Who handles the return if there's an issue?

I thought the drawback to grey market was no warranty? How does that work? I recommended a lens to someone on here a week or so ago not realizing is was grey market, so I rescinded. Who handles the return if there's an issue?
Always the company you buy from, every one of them offers a warranty. A friend had an issue with his camera and got in touch with the company he bought from. They got him to take it to the local repair centre and they paid the bill. They also said that had it been BER, they would have replaced it. Some importers like Panamoz, charge a little more than others, but they have an insurance based warranty that is valid for 3 years on all of their gear.

Abe's of Maine carries some GM stuff, but their return policy is restrictive. 14 days if it fails, or 14 if you don't like it. If it fails and they can't duplicate the problem, or if you just don't like it, they it you with a 15% restocking fee. That's a heck of a lot of money on a $1K lens.

They have a special on the 24-105 grey market for $1009 right now, which is considerably less than a regular priced lens, but not sure it's worth the hassle if something happens. I may pay more at B&H or local, but at least I know it's covered if there's an issue.

I like the idea of KEH, I might trade my barely used Tamron 24mm there to put the value towards something else.

I like the idea of KEH, I might trade my barely used Tamron 24mm there to put the value towards something else.
Be prepared for a lowball offer. I've found that it's best to sell to MPB or Usedphotopro, and buy from KEH. I have traded to KEH in the past, but usually when they offer and additional 10% value if you trade to something else.

I just bout a Sony 16-35mm F4 from a fellow Sony shooter from eh Facebook page. It's supposed to be here Monday. Really looking forward to it.

I have bought used cameras but not lenses. I would be hesitant about ebay, but that's just me. Fred Miranda forum has a good buy and sell section. I have bought from there before.

Thanks Brownie.

What is "grey import" ?

Abe's of Maine carries some GM stuff, but their return policy is restrictive. 14 days if it fails, or 14 if you don't like it. If it fails and they can't duplicate the problem, or if you just don't like it, they it you with a 15% restocking fee. That's a heck of a lot of money on a $1K lens.

They have a special on the 24-105 grey market for $1009 right now, which is considerably less than a regular priced lens, but not sure it's worth the hassle if something happens. I may pay more at B&H or local, but at least I know it's covered if there's an issue.
After reading this thread I just bit the bullet and purchased the 24-105 direct from Sony for 1300 or so. It's just not worth the hassle right now. I got my camera today. Used on ebay from a local camera guy. I'm not worried. I know where he lives! But lenses might be another story. I want so many.

After reading this thread I just bit the bullet and purchased the 24-105 direct from Sony for 1300 or so. It's just not worth the hassle right now. I got my camera today. Used on ebay from a local camera guy. I'm not worried. I know where he lives! But lenses might be another story. I want so many.
Agree 100%.

Congratulations Roxanne. If you spent a few extra dolars, that will soon be forgotten. In the mean time, you'll be enjoying a pretty damn useful piece of glass! And there will be more. Remember the TV program, "Eight is Enough"? My new mantra.

What is "grey import" ?
Imported from a market outside of your domestic market. So for us here in the UK, a lot of Grey Imports come from Korea. It avoids the hefty tax duties we pay, but the risk is extremely low as all of the imports are dealt with by the company you buy from.

Do you purchase used lenses? I found a Sony 24-105 mm for $625 on ebay from a person not a business. She says it is in excellent shape with pics and box. Should I buy it???
Roxanne
2 of my bodies were pre used all but 2 lenses were used most bought from trusted uk retailer with 12 months, backing 14 day return no questions asked so it sort of try before you buy , and all items I have bought 98% were as new little used less than 8000 clicks on bodies all boxed etc

Back