Does 2X teleconverter affect the exposure automation in the A1 or A7 IV? Languishing in the limbo of longing

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

-ST-

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
ST
Country
Canada
City/State
British Columbia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
For those of you who have the 1.4 or 2X teleconverters....

My 2X teleconverter is in transit - you know - in the limbo of longing.

I'll be using it with the A1 and A7 IV and 70-200 F 2.8 GM II.

Will the camera recognize the maximum aperture is 5.6?

I'm wondering if things like Aperture Priority or Auto ISO need to know the aperture or if all the exposure automation is based on what the sensor detects, regardless of lens and teleconverter. If it's the latter, then I suppose I don't have to think about it.

Thanks!

For those of you who have the 1.4 or 2X teleconverters....

My 2X teleconverter is in transit - you know - in the limbo of longing.

I'll be using it with the A1 and A7 IV and 70-200 F 2.8 GM II.

Will the camera recognize the maximum aperture is 5.6?

I'm wondering if things like Aperture Priority or Auto ISO need to know the aperture or if all the exposure automation is based on what the sensor detects, regardless of lens and teleconverter. If it's the latter, then I suppose I don't have to think about it.

Thanks!
When I put on my 1,4 TC on my camera with the 200-600mm F5,6-6,3 the camera automaticily switch to F9 and the ISO will rise (in auto-mode) if not the camera will adjust down the exposure-compensation. So you don't have to adjust anything.

When I put on my 1,4 TC on my camera with the 200-600mm F5,6-6,3 the camera automaticily switch to F9 and the ISO will rise (in auto-mode) if not the camera will adjust down the exposure-compensation. So you don't have to adjust anything.
Thanks, lodbrok!

And yes, the camera does the equivalent with the 2x - I see the 200-600 at maximum zoom wide open recorded as 1200mm f/13, and the 70-200 recorded as 400mm f/5.6.

And yes, the camera does the equivalent with the 2x - I see the 200-600 at maximum zoom wide open recorded as 1200mm f/13, and the 70-200 recorded as 400mm f/5.6.
Thanks, Tony.
I was wondering if the EXIF data would be captured correctly.

I use an old Pentax lens with no data transfer. The A7iv deals with focus, aperture, shutter speed and ISO as WYSIWYG. So I set everything manually until I’m happy with what I see in the viewfinder

Thanks, lodbrok!
Yust have in mind to always mount the TC to the lense first and then to the body. I did mount the TC to the camera first once and decided to take it off again due to the bad light and the TC was stucked to the body.. it was impossible to release the TC from the body.Until I mounted the lense into the TC! The lense somehow releases a pin in the TC. Probarly a safety mechanism. Others in here maybee knows more about this.

Yust have in mind to always mount the TC to the lense first and then to the body. I did mount the TC to the camera first once and decided to take it off again due to the bad light and the TC was stucked to the body.. it was impossible to release the TC from the body.Until I mounted the lense into the TC! The lense somehow releases a pin in the TC. Probarly a safety mechanism. Others in here maybee knows more about this.
Great tip! I'm sure you've saved me some anguish.
Thank you Lodbrok.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back