Does Anyone Have a List of Burst Speeds for Various Cameras?

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Sony's user manuals are all over the place. In the A7RIII manual, it says 10 FPS. In the A7 IV manual, it says 10, 8, and 6, depending on what settings.

I'd like to know the burst speed in RAW for the A7RIII and A7RV.

The 9 series and A1 are welll advertised.

Thanks

10fps when using compressed RAW. Any other RAW will be 8.
Screenshot 2023-05-15 141658.jpg

You can of course set the L/M/H to various options

10fps when using compressed RAW. Any other RAW will be 8.
View attachment 38878

You can of course set the L/M/H to various options
Right, but that's inconclusive. Are there Caveats like on the A7 IV, which is also stated as 10.0 FPS? It's only 10 if you're shooting in jpeg. If you shoot in RAW, Lossless Compressed RAW, or Raw + jpeg, you get 6 FPS. The camera manuals are all over the place, some cite FPS based on IQ settings, some don't? :unsure:

For instance, I think the A7RV is 7 FPS In RAW.

Right, but that's inconclusive. Are there Caveats like on the A7 IV, which is also stated as 10.0 FPS? It's only 10 if you're shooting in jpeg. If you shoot in RAW, Lossless Compressed RAW, or Raw + jpeg, you get 6 FPS. The camera manuals are all over the place, some cite FPS based on IQ settings, some don't? :unsure:

I thought I read JPEG on A7RV was 10. I know for sure that Uncompressed RAW is 7.

Some of these statistics are similar to wattage ratings on amplifiers, they advertise max wattage in perfect temperatures, when this is not the general use case for it and certainly not a great way to advertise it's real world power.

I thought I read JPEG on A7RV was 10. I know for sure that Uncompressed RAW is 7.
That's what I said. RAW is 7, not the '10' they put out in most literature. Wondering what the A7RIII is, all I can find is 10.

That's what I said. RAW is 7, not the '10' they put out in most literature. Wondering what the A7RIII is, all I can find is 10.
I know, it's very confusing and misleading. I think the a7R III is actually 10 but I could be wrong. I still have an a7R III so I'll test it tomorrow to be sure!

Are there Caveats like on the A7 IV, which is also stated as 10.0 FPS? It's only 10 if you're shooting in jpeg.
10 if you are shooting in compressed RAW or JPEG. 7 or 8 depending on model for RAW or Lossless RAW with or without JPEG.

Sony has always listed the top fps in speeds obtainable in compressed RAW.

Like the A1 is 30 in compressed RAW, 20 in all other RAW.

Variables are also on what your release setting is. If it is on release you will hit the max fps, if on balance or focus you will get less.

I believe you can reach 10fps on A7RIII, A7RIV, A7RV and the A7IV if you have:
  • Lossy compressed RAW
  • AF priority set to Release
  • all the slow-down settings off (DRO, etc)
  • fingers crossed
I may have missed some of the pre-conditions…

:unsure:

I know, it's very confusing and misleading. I think the a7R III is actually 10 but I could be wrong. I still have an a7R III so I'll test it tomorrow to be sure!
Well, I supppose I could do that... :ROFLMAO:

I believe you can reach 10fps on A7RIII, A7RIV, A7RV and the A7IV if you have:
  • Lossy compressed RAW
  • AF priority set to Release
  • all the slow-down settings off (DRO, etc)
  • fingers crossed
I may have missed some of the pre-conditions…

:unsure:
Right, what I want to know is this:

Burst rate for RAW and/or Lossless Compressed RAW.

The others don't matter to me, because I don't use them.

Understood. I was just explaining how Sony justifies saying these cameras can do 10fps on RAW (fine print: lossy compressed, unprinted: the rest)

I have never bothered trying to measure the speeds, but I’ve seen measurements of 6 or 7 fps on the A7RV and A7IV in lossless compressed RAW. Tim Mayo may have more details…

What's weird is they outline it in some manuals, but not others.

Well, I supppose I could do that... :ROFLMAO:
Just save yourself the trouble and ask someone else :)

My dusty old a7R III is still shooting 10 FPS with uncompressed RAW and also 10 FPS shooting uncompressed RAW + JPEG L.

For the a7R V I tested this a while back and put together the following post:

My dusty old a7R III is still shooting 10 FPS with uncompressed RAW and also 10 FPS shooting uncompressed RAW + JPEG L.

That's what I suspected. Interesting that Sony saw fit to put 10FPS RAW in the RIII but nothing in the A7 line after that, saving the higher rates for the A9.

What's weird is they outline it in some manuals, but not others.
My guess (and it’s just a guess): different tech writers.

I think I read this at the time, but I had forgotten.

I didn’t remember that it slowed down with electronic shutter, but that is understandable given the slowness of the sensor (1/10 second to read the whole sensor makes it “difficult“ to do 10fps!). Maybe the next A7R model will be built with a faster sensor (this one was first released in 2019, after all).

Found these two tables at Mirrorless Comparison. Not totally current, the A1, A7 IV and A7R V are missing, but good info if anyone is interested.

drive speeds.JPG
Live View.JPG

Found these two tables at Mirrorless Comparison. Not totally current, the A1, A7 IV and A7R V are missing, but good info if anyone is interested.
I guess these figures are when shooting compressed RAW or JPEG? The a9 drops to 12 FPS when shooting uncompressed RAW and the a7R IV drops to 7 FPS.

I guess these figures are when shooting compressed RAW or JPEG? The a9 drops to 12 FPS when shooting uncompressed RAW and the a7R IV drops to 7 FPS.
According to the article, RAW or RAW + JPEG. It didn't make a differentiation between compressed or uncompressed, or I missed it. I tried to go back and find the article again but it's not popping up. I'll try to dig into it more and see if I can find it again.

Finally found the article again, it doesn't say. It's probably just the marketing number from Sony, fastest speed.

Back